The Student Room Group

A2 maths module choices

I do maths and further maths wiith edexcel and was wondering what maths module combinations I can do.

For As I did C1,C2,M1 for maths. And Fp1,D1,S1 for my further maths. Alongside this I did an early M2 (as part of my A2 and got 95 in it).

Now for my A2 units - edexcel says I need 480 for my 6 maths modules and 180 in C3, C4. So if i achieve 90 in C3 and 90 in C4, i only need 25 marks in my 3rd module to get an A* overall (Cos i have 98-C1, 93-C2 and 86-M1).

So can I put the high M2 that i got into my further maths and do the followig combination.
C3(90),C4(90),M3(25+) for maths. FP2(88+),M2-95,FP3(88+).

If not what other combination can I do?
I love mechanics and pure maths, and would try to avoid D2 and S2 (S2 especially).

thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AngelOfDeath97
I do maths and further maths wiith edexcel and was wondering what maths module combinations I can do.

For As I did C1,C2,M1 for maths. And Fp1,D1,S1 for my further maths. Alongside this I did an early M2 (as part of my A2 and got 95 in it).

Now for my A2 units - edexcel says I need 480 for my 6 maths modules and 180 in C3, C4. So if i achieve 90 in C3 and 90 in C4, i only need 25 marks in my 3rd module to get an A* overall (Cos i have 98-C1, 93-C2 and 86-M1).

So can I put the high M2 that i got into my further maths and do the followig combination.
C3(90),C4(90),M3(25+) for maths. FP2(88+),M2-95,FP3(88+).

If not what other combination can I do?
I love mechanics and pure maths, and would try to avoid D2 and S2 (S2 especially).

thanks

I believe you need a C in both applied modules to get the A*.
Edexcel moves around your modules in order to maximise (in this order):
-Maths grade
-FM grade
-Maths UMS
-FM UMS
For example for my AS i got 94 in s1 (which i did for normal maths) and 100 in D1(which i did for FM) so my D1 was 'swapped' with my s1 so that my maths UMS was as high as possible. Therefore i don't think you are able to choose which modules go where.

Edit: M3 is a further maths unit anyway so cannot be part of normal maths A level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by solC
I believe you need a C in both applied modules to get the A*.
Edexcel moves around your modules in order to maximise (in this order):
-Maths grade
-FM grade
-Maths UMS
-FM UMS
For example for my AS i got 94 in s1 (which i did for normal maths) and 100 in D1(which i did for FM) so my D1 was 'swapped' with my s1 so that my maths UMS was as high as possible. Therefore i don't think you are able to choose which modules go where.

Edit: M3 is a further maths unit anyway so cannot be part of normal maths A level.

Oh thanks that what i was wondering, what other modules are strictly further maths and cannot go into normal maths?
Reply 3
Original post by AngelOfDeath97
Oh thanks that what i was wondering, what other modules are strictly further maths and cannot go into normal maths?

Any module past 2 is FM

Quick Reply

Latest