The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark Information! 25 August 2016

Scroll to see replies

I know that this may be a stupid question to ask, but why aren't we allowed to see our exam paper before we decide we want a remark? (even if it wasn't the original exam paper) Also for GCSE PE i got 137 UMS and I needed 140 UMS for the next grade up. I'm not sure if I should ask for a remark or not.
I did my GCSE Maths & Level 2 Further Maths GCSE this year, in GCSE maths I got an A (169/200), which is 1 off an A*, is it worth a remark for that?? Also in further maths, I got 83 marks which is 3 off an A, is that worth a remark?
Reply 22
I was predicted to get a B for GCSE drama. Got a B and a C for controlled assessments and my drama teacher (who is also an examiner for drama elsewhere) thought my performance mark was a high B if not an A. However when the marks came out I got an overall D. All three units were marked as a D. So the assessments must have been moderated down considerably too. My total points are half way between a C and a D so remarking probably won't help.Most of the class is in the same situation. Is there anything we can do? Our teacher seems to think that the performances have been marked wrong. Can we appeal? Any advice appreciated.
Original post by peanuts6785
I wonder if someone could help. My daughter was badly sick during her R:s-smilie: exam (I mean vomiting during the actual exam bad!) We applied for mitigating circumstances and we were told that had been accepted by the exam board prior to the marking. However when we got the results she got a D but was one mark off a C (So annoying!!)
Anyway on the results there is no mention of mitigating circumstances or any mention of a percentage added etc. Is that normal? I would have expected something formal to show that it had been taken into account and I would like to know the percentage added due to this.

Is there anyway we could find this out as I'm thinking a Remark might be the way to go with this one.

I'm not sure about the special consideration rules so I'll tag someone in who does!
@gdunne42
Original post by cookielover3
I know that this may be a stupid question to ask, but why aren't we allowed to see our exam paper before we decide we want a remark? (even if it wasn't the original exam paper) Also for GCSE PE i got 137 UMS and I needed 140 UMS for the next grade up. I'm not sure if I should ask for a remark or not.

I think the rules are changing on this as part of the changes to remarks. But unfortunately not yet. My guess is that it's just too difficult for the exam boards to manage this in such a short space of time.

On the PE remark - do you really need that next grade up? The remark is quite expensive and the new approach to remarks means that marks are less likely to go up by a few. But if you feel you did better than the grade suggests it may be worth a go ....

Let me know what happens.
Original post by Odavies11
I did my GCSE Maths & Level 2 Further Maths GCSE this year, in GCSE maths I got an A (169/200), which is 1 off an A*, is it worth a remark for that?? Also in further maths, I got 83 marks which is 3 off an A, is that worth a remark?

Maths marks don't usually go up in remarks ... and they are expensive .... but there are marks for the way you worked out answers so there is a chance. The changes to remarks make going up a few marks less likely but you never know ....

Original post by LizzieJo
I was predicted to get a B for GCSE drama. Got a B and a C for controlled assessments and my drama teacher (who is also an examiner for drama elsewhere) thought my performance mark was a high B if not an A. However when the marks came out I got an overall D. All three units were marked as a D. So the assessments must have been moderated down considerably too. My total points are half way between a C and a D so remarking probably won't help.Most of the class is in the same situation. Is there anything we can do? Our teacher seems to think that the performances have been marked wrong. Can we appeal? Any advice appreciated.

This will be up to your teacher to take it up with the exam board. The school can ask for a review but it will be expensive unless the marks are changed (in which case they get the money back) ... is there evidence of the performances that will allow senior examiners to review the marking?
Original post by Jungkookie
Should I re take?
I got a C in maths and English lit GCSE and would like to know if I should re take for November. I needed a B in maths for Biology but everyone keeps telling me that because I didn't fail I shouldn't re take.

So you're not able to do Biology A level now? Is there another subject you can do that you're happy with? If so, it doesn't seem worth retaking as the retake will take your attention away from your A levels which are the most important thing for you now.

Let me know if I've misunderstood the situation. :smile:
Reply 27
Hi,my gcse grades were overall not that bad, I did want better but I am okay to move on with 1A, 6Bs and 2Cs, however one of the Cs I received was in Maths. The University I wish to attend require a grade B in maths.
As you may know on my results sheet, I was not given my exact ums mark as our exam was linear. I was wondering, how can I request to see my paper and mark as this may help me decide wether I should take the risk and retake my maths again in November in order to gain a grade B.
Thanks.
I got 2 UMS points off a C in English language meaning I might not be able to go to my desired sixth form and I got a remark. Is there a good chance of me getting a C?
Help! I got my GCSE results-I got 7 A*s and 5 As, but I was kinda surprised at the subjects I got As in. After looking at the UMS scores, I found that I was 1 mark off an A* in 3 subjects (4 if you include coursework, which I felt was undermarked in)-French, RE and History. Do you think I should get the papers remarked, what with all the changes? Thank you.
How long does it take to get gcse remarks done. My daughter is waiting to hear urgently so she can see if she is eligable to return to her lower sixth form school?
Original post by mymmymac3
How long does it take to get gcse remarks done. My daughter is waiting to hear urgently so she can see if she is eligable to return to her lower sixth form school?

If you pay for a priority it takes around two weeks, can be less,, but they usually say two weeks. An hour after receiving my results i was on the phone asking for a remark and i have been waiting to pay for my exam to be remarked then it can be sent off. But the school has decided to take 4 days off!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got an A* in History OCR USA Depth Study, 85 UMS. Then an A in the Russian Controlled Assessment, at 41 UMS. Finally, wait for it, I got a D in the British Depth Study exam. Overall I got a B, and according to my calculations, I'm 2 UMS (which I think is one mark) from an A. Definitely worth it, don't you think?! Plus, the D seems pretty strange on the list, when you see an A and an A*; it's illogical! Must be some kind of error! :/
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Maybe a clerical check

You can ask to see your paper so you know everything is there .Good luck we are doing the same .
Original post by _Hafsa
Hi,my gcse grades were overall not that bad, I did want better but I am okay to move on with 1A, 6Bs and 2Cs, however one of the Cs I received was in Maths. The University I wish to attend require a grade B in maths.
As you may know on my results sheet, I was not given my exact ums mark as our exam was linear. I was wondering, how can I request to see my paper and mark as this may help me decide wether I should take the risk and retake my maths again in November in order to gain a grade B.
Thanks.

You can request to see your marks by asking your teachers. If you do decide to go ahead and see your papers, I believe that for most exam boards you won't be able to get a subsequent remark at GCSE (from the top of my head, it's only Edexcel who will allow you to see a copy of your script rather than the original).

Original post by homer220
Help! I got my GCSE results-I got 7 A*s and 5 As, but I was kinda surprised at the subjects I got As in. After looking at the UMS scores, I found that I was 1 mark off an A* in 3 subjects (4 if you include coursework, which I felt was undermarked in)-French, RE and History. Do you think I should get the papers remarked, what with all the changes? Thank you.

I'd leave it for French but you could consider it for RE and History. It will be more unlikely to change than previous years, however, because of some changes in the remark system. You can't request a remark in the coursework if it was marked in school and then sent off for moderation, I'm afraid.

Honestly though, I would leave it. A grades are excellent.

Original post by yassin yassin
I got 2 UMS points off a C in English language meaning I might not be able to go to my desired sixth form and I got a remark. Is there a good chance of me getting a C?

No one knows - none of us know if your paper was marked incorrectly or not.

Original post by SophFlorence
I got an A* in History OCR USA Depth Study, 85 UMS. Then an A in the Russian Controlled Assessment, at 41 UMS. Finally, wait for it, I got a D in the British Depth Study exam. Overall I got a B, and according to my calculations, I'm 2 UMS (which I think is one mark) from an A. Definitely worth it, don't you think?! Plus, the D seems pretty strange on the list, when you see an A and an A*; it's illogical! Must be some kind of error! :/

If you're sure something has gone wrong in the marking, you may as well go for it. You're far away from the previous boundary so it's unlikely it will drop down to a C.
Original post by The Learn Ranger
I think the rules are changing on this as part of the changes to remarks. But unfortunately not yet. My guess is that it's just too difficult for the exam boards to manage this in such a short space of time.

On the PE remark - do you really need that next grade up? The remark is quite expensive and the new approach to remarks means that marks are less likely to go up by a few. But if you feel you did better than the grade suggests it may be worth a go ....

Let me know what happens.

So we're not allowed to see our exam paper before a remark? Because I'm requesting a photocopy of some of my exams and so will that mean I can't remark it?
Or is this rule happening next year or another year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all.

I hope all of you are pleased with your results this year.

I did AQA Geography and I was 1 UMS point off from an A* (359/400). Also, I did OCR Spanish in which I was 2 UMS points off from an A (318/400).

I'm thinking of getting these remarked and wondering whether it would be worth the shot?

Thanks.
Original post by The Learn Ranger
So you're not able to do Biology A level now? Is there another subject you can do that you're happy with? If so, it doesn't seem worth retaking as the retake will take your attention away from your A levels which are the most important thing for you now.

Let me know if I've misunderstood the situation. :smile:

I need to do a science and Bio seemed to be the most fitting. I'm just wondering, if I resat for November, when would I get my results? And would I be able to transfer courses considering A level exams are at the end of two years now
When do we get the regrade results - is it emailed or does it go to the school? Also I paid for the quick turn around.... Do u know when those results should done by - we were in a whirlwind on gcse results day so didn't ask!'
Original post by usycool1
You can request to see your marks by asking your teachers. If you do decide to go ahead and see your papers, I believe that for most exam boards you won't be able to get a subsequent remark at GCSE (from the top of my head, it's only Edexcel who will allow you to see a copy of your script rather than the original).

I'd leave it for French but you could consider it for RE and History. It will be more unlikely to change than previous years, however, because of some changes in the remark system. You can't request a remark in the coursework if it was marked in school and then sent off for moderation, I'm afraid.

Honestly though, I would leave it. A grades are excellent.

No one knows - none of us know if your paper was marked incorrectly or not.

If you're sure something has gone wrong in the marking, you may as well go for it. You're far away from the previous boundary so it's unlikely it will drop down to a C.

Many Thanks, I think I'll go for it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest