The Student Room Group

applying for mfl 2017

sup, I'm applying for mfl at newcastle, warwick, sheffield and nottingham with ABBD at AS, will those grades be good enough and can anyone recommend a 5th uni? cheers in advance
Original post by cheekysubway
sup, I'm applying for mfl at newcastle, warwick, sheffield and nottingham with ABBD at AS, will those grades be good enough and can anyone recommend a 5th uni? cheers in advance

They will be fine, although I'd try and bring one of those Bs up to an A just to make sure you're definitely safe.

Which languages are you doing? Bristol seemed to be a pretty popular place to apply with the people on my course. Hull might also be worth an shot if you want one uni you're guaranteed to get into.

I'm about to start Modern Languages (German, Dutch, Russian) at Sheffield so AMA about Sheff if you want. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by pizzanomics
They will be fine, although I'd try and bring one of those Bs up to an A just to make sure you're definitely safe.

Which languages are you doing? Bristol seemed to be a pretty popular place to apply with the people on my course. Hull might also be worth an shot if you want one uni you're guaranteed to get into.

I'm about to start Modern Languages (German, Dutch, Russian) at Sheffield so AMA about Sheff if you want. :smile:

Thank you! Spanish post a level and russian ab initio, I went to the sheffield open day and I was really impressed!

Did you do A level russian or are you going to do it ab initio?
Thank you! Spanish post a level and russian ab initio, I went to the sheffield open day and I was really impressed!

Did you do A level russian or are you going to do it ab initio?

Ah okay cool. Yeah Sheffield is a great uni and a very underrated city too!

Doing it ab initio, same with Dutch. I've been doing stuff on Memrise and Duolingo to prepare though. Dutch should be relatively easy knowing both German and English, and Russian isn't proving too difficult at the moment considering I've never studied a Slavic language before. I'm sure I will soon regret saying that after the course starts though. :redface:
Reply 4
Ah okay cool. Yeah Sheffield is a great uni and a very underrated city too!

Doing it ab initio, same with Dutch. I've been doing stuff on Memrise and Duolingo to prepare though. Dutch should be relatively easy knowing both German and English, and Russian isn't proving too difficult at the moment considering I've never studied a Slavic language before. I'm sure I will soon regret saying that after the course starts though. :redface:

Did you have an interview for your the unis you applied to? Duolingo is the stuff that dreams are made of
Did you have an interview for your the unis you applied to? Duolingo is the stuff that dreams are made of

Yeah Duolingo has been super useful for getting the very basics down.

Nope. I actually dropped out of a different uni studying a totally different course, so I applied after the deadline with my A level grades (BBC) and got an unconditional offer, no interview. I don't think any other people got interviews either. Other unis might do them, I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure that Sheffield don't.
Reply 6
Yeah Duolingo has been super useful for getting the very basics down.

Nope. I actually dropped out of a different uni studying a totally different course, so I applied after the deadline with my A level grades (BBC) and got an unconditional offer, no interview. I don't think any other people got interviews either. Other unis might do them, I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure that Sheffield don't.

Crikey thats a big change, thank you for your answers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending