The Student Room Group

Part-time Student Brand Ambassador job at university? never had a job before

I'm going into my 2nd year of uni and I will be a student brand ambassador for a company, promoting a campaign of theirs through talks, stalls, social media and written content.

I have never had a proper paid job before, only ever work experience at the maximum of one week. I am excited for this job and I know I can spread the campaign message well, but i'm just nervous about being in a work environment and not knowing how to handle myself in that situation.

I have a training event in a few days and the thought of being in a room full of accomplished adults who know so much more than me is really scary.

I'm just wondering if anyone who has been in a similar situation has any tips for how to do a job well and really impress?

Thanks!
I work as a student ambassador for my uni if that counts
I'm a brand ambassador for a firm in the field I aim to work in when I graduate. It's difficult to tell you how to act in that situation because you just have to be professional. No one expects you to know everything, but they do expect you to act with respect, without coming across as a robot with no personality. I recommend doing some additional research into the company and the campaign prior to the training, but just remember, the whole point of training is because they know you don't know enough for the job yet, so don't worry about that.
well you're not going to be in a room full of accomplished adults who know more than you so don't worry... it will mostly be people in the same/similar situation to you and generally at work people are pretty friendly because it just makes things more pleasant for everyone (plus you have to be polite to people at work!)

as far as acting 'professionally' goes - you're overthinking and it's not difficult... make sure you know the dress code, I'd imagine for a brand ambassador you may have a t shirt or something to wear but generally you'll just have to not wear tracksuit or very revealing clothes, be polite and friendly to everyone, if you need to ask questions do so, be on time and work hard, as far as how to talk to managers etc who are senior to you - take their lead, some will barely speak to you and you should stay polite but keep it on work topics and serious and others will have a joke but you will soon see from watching others around you what your manager prefers
Reply 4
Original post by Jackieox
I work as a student ambassador for my uni if that counts

Yes that's great! this probably sounds like a stupid question, but do you have to report to someone within the uni for the events and stalls you host or other activities? i'm assuming you'd have to inform someone that you were setting up a stall before you did. I know for the other aspects of my job i can confer with the editor of the student newspaper and president of societies if i wanted to give a talk to a specific society, but for stalls just outside the campus in open space I have no idea about.
Reply 5
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'm a brand ambassador for a firm in the field I aim to work in when I graduate. It's difficult to tell you how to act in that situation because you just have to be professional. No one expects you to know everything, but they do expect you to act with respect, without coming across as a robot with no personality. I recommend doing some additional research into the company and the campaign prior to the training, but just remember, the whole point of training is because they know you don't know enough for the job yet, so don't worry about that.

Thank you! that really helps. I'll definitely do some research just to be on the safe side.
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
well you're not going to be in a room full of accomplished adults who know more than you so don't worry... it will mostly be people in the same/similar situation to you and generally at work people are pretty friendly because it just makes things more pleasant for everyone (plus you have to be polite to people at work!)

as far as acting 'professionally' goes - you're overthinking and it's not difficult... make sure you know the dress code, I'd imagine for a brand ambassador you may have a t shirt or something to wear but generally you'll just have to not wear tracksuit or very revealing clothes, be polite and friendly to everyone, if you need to ask questions do so, be on time and work hard, as far as how to talk to managers etc who are senior to you - take their lead, some will barely speak to you and you should stay polite but keep it on work topics and serious and others will have a joke but you will soon see from watching others around you what your manager prefers

thanks! I really appreciate the advice!
Original post by candence
Yes that's great! this probably sounds like a stupid question, but do you have to report to someone within the uni for the events and stalls you host or other activities? i'm assuming you'd have to inform someone that you were setting up a stall before you did. I know for the other aspects of my job i can confer with the editor of the student newspaper and president of societies if i wanted to give a talk to a specific society, but for stalls just outside the campus in open space I have no idea about.

The uni send us out on the events, we just have to check in with them =)
Reply 8
Original post by Jackieox
The uni send us out on the events, we just have to check in with them =)

Thank you! definitely a lot simpler than i thought ahaha.

Quick Reply

Latest