The Student Room Group

Applying to unis without going to their open days?

Has anyone done this successfully? Or is it a very bad idea?

I've been to the open days for my first two choices but the other unis I've been considering are really far away from me and difficult to travel to.
By 'difficult', I mean almost impossible: in terms of expenses, having to stay the night somewhere and getting someone to look after the dog - which is harder than it sounds because we're not close enough to many people. In fact the only people I'd be comfortable with asking have recently moved away.

The unis I'm interested in but can't get to are Bristol, Durham and maybe Manchester if that helps. St Andrews also looks nice but that really is impossible to visit.

Thanks
L
Reply 1
You don't have to. It gives you an outlook of the uni and the area but it's not overly important.
A lot of people don't go to open days. On open days, most unis behave like schools when OFSTED come to visit anyway
If you visit a uni then they have you on a list and it distinguishes you as someone who is genuinely interested in going to that university rather than someone just randomly casting a net (advice from the adviserer person at my college). Idk how true this is but they do have you on a list if you visit.

More importantly, I would encourage you to visit to get a feel for the place (the town moreso than the university tbh). I thought i wanted to go to St Andrews but when i visited it i didn't like it. If i hadn't done i would have ended up going there.

I know some people who didn't go to any open days and maybe I'm the outlier in that the visit did help me form my opinion but I am glad i made the effort to visit them. Also, if you live really far away you can visit more than just the university to make it worth it. When i went to St Andrews I also stayed in Edinburgh for 3 days.

I think ultimately a lot of the universities are much of a muchness. The accommodation is the same everywhere and they all say the same spiel when you visit so i can see why people don't bother.
majority of international students will do this obviously
Original post by Marked Target
If you visit a uni then they have you on a list and it distinguishes you as someone who is genuinely interested in going to that university rather than someone just randomly casting a net (advice from the adviserer person at my college). Idk how true this is but they do have you on a list if you visit.

Absolute nonsense. As if simply going to an open day is going to be the thing that makes you get an offer instead of someone else.
Reply 6
Original post by Leona-L
Has anyone done this successfully? Or is it a very bad idea?

I've been to the open days for my first two choices but the other unis I've been considering are really far away from me and difficult to travel to.
By 'difficult', I mean almost impossible: in terms of expenses, having to stay the night somewhere and getting someone to look after the dog - which is harder than it sounds because we're not close enough to many people. In fact the only people I'd be comfortable with asking have recently moved away.

The unis I'm interested in but can't get to are Bristol, Durham and maybe Manchester if that helps. St Andrews also looks nice but that really is impossible to visit.

Thanks
L

I wouldn't recommend it. Just because somewhere looks good on paper doesn't mean it will feel good when you get there. Many, many people get stung by that every year and for every success there are probably 2 failures. It's also worth visiting some that you normally wouldn't consider. The uni I'm starting in September I almost certainly would never have considered before I went to an event there and loved it!!!

If cost is an issue you could contact some of them. Many will offer to partially pay toward expenses if you ask and explain it would help.
I went to about 8. Only 5 were as I expected. Manchester, Cardiff and Bristol were especially nice.

UCL, Exeter and Queen Marys were disappointing. Which is a surprise because they seem to have high reputations. At least with Exeter, the main offputting thing was the location . The engineering course structure wasn't very good for me either. Virtually the whole of the 3rd and 4th years were tested using course work and group presentations but I prefer exams.

But UCL and Queen Marys were complete let downs. UCL made me feel like I was still in sixth form. And the lecturers legitimately looked bored. That and more combined with the accommodation standards and pricings...

Moral: Sometimes attening can completely change your mind on things. I'm 99% sure I would've put UCL or Queen Marys as firm choices if I had never visited. My views on them were only based on what I've been told. After open days ended up putting Manchester as a firm.

If you can't then visit then look at multiple rankings (not just the first one you see) and sort by course. Maybe try and look at a youtube vlog from someone already attending the uni. Whatuni reviews are nice too if you're trying to find flaws in each.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
I went to about 8. Only 5 were as I expected. Manchester, Cardiff and Bristol were especially nice.

UCL, Exeter and Queen Marys were disappointing. Which is a surprise because they seem to have high reputations. At least with Exeter, the main offputting thing was the location . The engineering course structure wasn't very good for me either. Virtually the whole of the 3rd and 4th years were tested using course work and group presentations but I prefer exams.

But UCL and Queen Marys were complete let downs. UCL made me feel like I was still in sixth form. And the lecturers legitimately looked bored. That and more combined with the accommodation standards and pricings...

Moral: Sometimes attening can completely change your mind on things. I'm 99% sure I would've put UCL or Queen Marys as firm choices if I had never visited. My views on them were only based on what I've been told. After open days ended up putting Manchester as a firm.

If you can't then visit then look at multiple rankings (not just the first one you see) and sort by course. Maybe try and look at a youtube vlog from someone already attending the uni. Whatuni reviews are nice too if you're trying to find flaws in each.

Spoiler

In the same boat as this guy, was going to most likely firm queen mary if it was one of my choices, as on paper it looked great. However, when I went it what dreadful, I wouldn't wish anyone to see a great uni on paper but when they get there, they find it horrible

(Although I ended up liking Exeter the most ;p)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Absolute nonsense. As if simply going to an open day is going to be the thing that makes you get an offer instead of someone else.

Yeah, i didn't really think it would make any difference either but it was advice I was given.
(edited 7 years ago)
If at all possible, visit before applying. Based on the Internet and everything else, I thought I'd love UCL, but I ended up hating it - I learned that city universities really aren't for me, but I only found that out by going on an open day. I didn't visit my insurance (Leicester) before applying, which I regretted, as after eventually visiting I realised I didn't particularly like it - but it was too late then, as no other university could serve as my insurance. This wasn't bad research - only open days can really show you the university.

Conversely, the open day at York led to me liking it a lot more than expected, so I'm going there this September to study law. If I hadn't visited, I'm certain I never would have firmed it.

Essentially, open days are very important. You don't want to end up being stuck at somewhere you hate.
Out of my five choices, I only went to one...And I ended up going to the one I didn't go to the opening day to and I'm happy I chose this uni. I knew people who went to the other options I had and got their opinions.

However,

If I could go back in time, I probably will go to as much as I can as it would give me a better outlook.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks everyone :smile:

I'll try to work out a way to get to the open days but it's quite unlikely I'll be able to I'm afraid. It's Durham and Bristol that are the problem really.
Original post by Leona-L
Thanks everyone :smile:

I'll try to work out a way to get to the open days but it's quite unlikely I'll be able to I'm afraid. It's Durham and Bristol that are the problem really.

Where do you live. Is it possible to fly to Newcastle or Bristol. Both have low cost airlines flying there. You could also travel by train. Booking in advance can have huge savings and if you by a 16-26 railcard for £30 you get 30% off all fares for a year. Sometimes there a huge savings by splitting fares. If you would like me to check this out for you PM me with town you are living and the dates of the open days
Reply 14
Original post by swansea jack 1
Where do you live. Is it possible to fly to Newcastle or Bristol. Both have low cost airlines flying there. You could also travel by train. Booking in advance can have huge savings and if you by a 16-26 railcard for £30 you get 30% off all fares for a year. Sometimes there a huge savings by splitting fares. If you would like me to check this out for you PM me with town you are living and the dates of the open days

Thanks but I've checked all I can and it really is just impossible. I'll just have to risk it I think - It should be fine as I'm quite adaptable &not fussed as long as I'm studying what I want to study.

Thanks anyway to all
Just visit your there favourites that offer you a place - saves a wasted trip if they reject you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending