The Student Room Group

Felling guilty about money

Every time i get money from my parents(like £20 yesterday without asking) i feel guilty of spending it because they are unemployed and currently claim Employment Seeking Allowance.:frown:

I also feel guilty when family friends come over and give me some money as a token of some sort because i feel obliged to save it and give it to my parents later on even though they say they say they don't need it and neither ask for it.

I just feel embarrassed and guilty as i feel like i should have a job like most 18-year-olds and should be the one providing for my mum and dad, contributing something at least seeing as they are on Employment seeking allowance. :redface:

I love my mum and dad and like the fact that they give me money despite me not asking for it(i generally hate asking my parents for money):redface:

This whole money giving from my parents and family friends(though not often) makes me feel like i should be saving it/ investing the money rather than spending it on makeup and food(chocolate/crisps) which is what i would end up mostly buying with it.

I have considered getting a job but at the moment i am trying to get my CV look top-notch considering as i don't have much retail experience.:redface:

I don't know what to do/ how to change my way fo thinking?

Any advice?

Please help.
Don't bother trying to perfect your CV, hand in what you have now to any shop/ restaurant you can find. Or do some volunteering in a charity shop for a few months to get till work and customer service experience
Original post by Anonymous
Every time i get money from my parents(like £20 yesterday without asking) i feel guilty of spending it because they are unemployed and currently claim Employment Seeking Allowance.:frown:

I also feel guilty when family friends come over and give me some money as a token of some sort because i feel obliged to save it and give it to my parents later on even though they say they say they don't need it and neither ask for it.

I just feel embarrassed and guilty as i feel like i should have a job like most 18-year-olds and should be the one providing for my mum and dad, contributing something at least seeing as they are on Employment seeking allowance. :redface:

I love my mum and dad and like the fact that they give me money despite me not asking for it(i generally hate asking my parents for money):redface:

This whole money giving from my parents and family friends(though not often) makes me feel like i should be saving it/ investing the money rather than spending it on makeup and food(chocolate/crisps) which is what i would end up mostly buying with it.

I have considered getting a job but at the moment i am trying to get my CV look top-notch considering as i don't have much retail experience.:redface:

Any advice?

Please help.

when its your first job, the employer doesnt need you to have tonnes of retail experience. i got a job recently just from giving them my gcse predictions and saying that i needed money lol. you cant lose by trying...
If you feel you should be saving it then do it instead of getting sad about it.

As for the CV they don't take long to edit, you could go out and start handing them out tomorrow if you really wanted to.
Reply 4
Most supermarket or retail jobs are online and they don't ask for cv's. When i was your age i saved up birthday and xmas money so didnt need money from parents you just need some self control.
Reply 5
Original post by ethanlester
when its your first job, the employer doesnt need you to have tonnes of retail experience. i got a job recently just from giving them my gcse predictions and saying that i needed money lol. you cant lose by trying...

@ethanlester

Where did you get your job from?
@ethanlester

Where did you get your job from?

Argos - they needed staff desperately, and employed me on the spot. Not the best company to work for but money's money
Reply 7
Original post by ethanlester
Argos - they needed staff desperately, and employed me on the spot. Not the best company to work for but money's money

Ohh right, lucky you. Argos aint bad apparently.

How old are you and did you get trained on the job?

Also, how much do they pay you per hour if you don't mind me asking?

@ethanlester
Ohh right, lucky you. Argos aint bad apparently.

How old are you and did you get trained on the job?

Also, how much do they pay you per hour if you don't mind me asking?

@ethanlester

Its a bit crap for me cos theyre really understaffed so im working way too much..... Im 16 and yes got full training. Pay is 5.70 an hour and goes up by a pound next year
well you can go and start doing your CV... I've got nearly 10 years of work experience now and it still wouldn't take me more than one session to get my CV tailored for a specific job and you don't need to do that, you just need to write it and hand it in (plus most jobs are done with app forms now rather than CVs)

also if you don't wanna waste money on sweets and stuff then don't? you choose what to spend money on and you can just not take it or put it into savings for uni or something

Any advice?

Please help.

I know what you mean about the guilt part, I've been lucky in having generous parents and grandparents, but there's often a guilt bit associated with it.

Are you really not able to go out and earn money? Seems like it would be a good solution for your current situation.

Any advice?

Please help.

Hey sweety. You have a very good perspective but you need to be less toxic to yourself. You have needs too and I think that's why your parents help you out that way. To help you get ahead writing a CV with little to no experience, I've included a few key tips below.

The way to write a CV without experience is learning about the role you're applying for from the people who do that job and then explaining in your interview that you've researched it and why you'd be a good fit. You can also do this in a covering letter. Use industry specific jargon (e.g. cleaners refer to COSHH, writers refer to copyscape and keywords). Just drop it here and there but only include it when you have a full understanding, otherwise the interviewer will catch you out. Most of the time interviewers skim read for keywords on a CV and only give it full attention when they spot keywords. The most important thing is showing the potential employer you have the mindset to learn and doing this on a CV shows you've learned what you can and understand it.

Good luck. :smile:
Firstly what obstacles do your parents have to finding work?

Unfortunately if parents have some problems like barriers to work/unemployment and basically can't provide in a way that the child doesn't have to feel anxious about it, then you can be forced to take on responsibilities that are not yours. It's great to feel compassion for your parents. At 18 I don't think you should feel guilty that you can't provide for them. They chose to give you an allowance, and if it's money from the benefits then why feel guilty as it's not exactly their money?

You should seek work experience mainly for your own future and focus on that.
Firstly what obstacles do your parents have to finding work?

Unfortunately if parents have some problems like barriers to work/unemployment and basically can't provide in a way that the child doesn't have to feel anxious about it, then you can be forced to take on responsibilities that are not yours. It's great to feel compassion for your parents. At 18 I don't think you should feel guilty that you can't provide for them. They chose to give you an allowance, and if it's money from the benefits then why feel guilty as it's not exactly their money?

You should seek work experience mainly for your own future and focus on that.

^THIS^

Latest

Trending

Trending