The Student Room Group

People who took a gap year after missing their firm

1) Were you successful a year later?
2) Was the year out and reapplication process worth it?
3) Did your firm live up to your expectations?
4) If you had compelling insurance/Clearing offers, do you ever wonder about the opportunities you might have missed in not moving onto the next chapter of your life until a year later?
5) Does it bother you that you took 3 years to complete your A levels, especially if you did well at GCSE?

Asking for myself, but also on behalf of a friend who's crushed after missing her Imperial offer. Both positive and negative experiences welcome!
Reply 1
Original post by RedQueen
1) Were you successful a year later?
2) Was the year out and reapplication process worth it?
3) Did your firm live up to your expectations?
4) If you had compelling insurance/Clearing offers, do you ever wonder about the opportunities you might have missed in not moving onto the next chapter of your life until a year later?
5) Does it bother you that you took 3 years to complete your A levels, especially if you did well at GCSE?

Asking for myself, but also on behalf of a friend who's crushed after missing her Imperial offer. Both positive and negative experiences welcome!

I missed my firm and insurance offers back in August 2010 and took a gap year, so here's my experience:

1) Yes, I got 5/5 offers on reapplication from Leeds, Birmingham, UEA, Portsmouth and Nottingham Trent
2) Yes, I welcomed the chance to go to somewhere that I had fully considered, with a guarenteed place in halls than having to rush into a decision and then find my own accomodation (as you dont get halls if you go through clearing 9 times out of 10)
3) Yes it did
4) See point 2 as to why I didn't regret going through clearing
5) No it didn't
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
I missed my firm and insurance offers back in August 2010 and took a gap year, so here's my experience:

1) Yes, I got 5/5 offers on reapplication from Leeds, Birmingham, UEA, Portsmouth and Nottingham Trent
2) Yes, I welcomed the chance to go to somewhere that I had fully considered, with a guarenteed place in halls than having to rush into a decision and then find my own accomodation (as you dont get halls if you go through clearing 9 times out of 10)
3) Yes it did
4) See point 2 as to why I didn't regret going through clearing
5) No it didn't

Thank you for responding - I'm glad things worked out well for you. Did you call up your universities to ask if they would accept retakes? A couple of my choices (the places I'd apply to upon reapplication) have said plainly I would make a slightly less competitive applicant so I feel a bit discouraged.

Quick Reply

Latest