The Student Room Group

Languages at Oxford/Cambridge

I'm applying applying to universities this autumn and was wondering about the courses at Oxford and Cambridge. I had previously completely disregarded them due to the heavy literature content at both but am now reconsidering.

1. I have found the optional/cultural module list for Cambridge but cant find one for Oxford so does anyone know where I can find that?

2. Does anyone know much about these courses and the literature content as I have more of an interest in modern history and politics.

Thank you
Original post by langnerd
I'm applying applying to universities this autumn and was wondering about the courses at Oxford and Cambridge. I had previously completely disregarded them due to the heavy literature content at both but am now reconsidering.

1. I have found the optional/cultural module list for Cambridge but cant find one for Oxford so does anyone know where I can find that?

2. Does anyone know much about these courses and the literature content as I have more of an interest in modern history and politics.

Thank you

ok idk where to find the list for oxford and i'm not an expert so disclaimer there but i have been to modern languages open days/conferences at both unis and i can 100% tell you that the oxford course is very very very literature heavy bc they believe that to be the right way to do it there are history/linguistics/etc modules if you want but i don't think there's a lot bc a lot of the literature is mandatory

cambridge is still gonna have literature you can't avoid it at least in your first year but there are definitely more options in terms of history/politics/linguistics that you can take and you can strip it to the bare minimum of literature in the years after so if you don't like literature at all i would consider other places but if you like literature but have a bigger interest in the other things then i would definitely consider cambridge! on the other side, oxford tends to ask for aaa and cambridge demands a*aa (tho the a* isn't always specified as a language) but honestly i wouldn't take that much into account - imo it isn't worth getting onto a course you won't like just bc it's easier

hope this helps! what you studying for right now and what languages do you want to apply for?
Reply 2
Original post by helena.flake
ok idk where to find the list for oxford and i'm not an expert so disclaimer there but i have been to modern languages open days/conferences at both unis and i can 100% tell you that the oxford course is very very very literature heavy bc they believe that to be the right way to do it there are history/linguistics/etc modules if you want but i don't think there's a lot bc a lot of the literature is mandatory

cambridge is still gonna have literature you can't avoid it at least in your first year but there are definitely more options in terms of history/politics/linguistics that you can take and you can strip it to the bare minimum of literature in the years after so if you don't like literature at all i would consider other places but if you like literature but have a bigger interest in the other things then i would definitely consider cambridge! on the other side, oxford tends to ask for aaa and cambridge demands a*aa (tho the a* isn't always specified as a language) but honestly i wouldn't take that much into account - imo it isn't worth getting onto a course you won't like just bc it's easier

hope this helps! what you studying for right now and what languages do you want to apply for?

Thank you very much for your help! I'm doing A levels in French, German, Maths and DT atm and want to do French and german, or French, German and Spanish depending on where I go. I presume you are looking to study languages as well so which languages are you looking at?
Hello. I am a Cambridge MML graduate (French and Spanish), now living in London and looking to tutor. Throughout my time at Cambridge I volunteered to help at MML open days because I strongly believe in giving prospective students a realistic view of the degree. It is wonderfully open-ended and exploratory, and there is fantastic Year Abroad support. Feel free to PM me
Original post by langnerd
Thank you very much for your help! I'm doing A levels in French, German, Maths and DT atm and want to do French and german, or French, German and Spanish depending on where I go. I presume you are looking to study languages as well so which languages are you looking at?

no prob! i'm doing german russian theatre studies and english alevel rn and i would be applying to do german and russian pretty much everywhere! good luck in your application, we've got crazy ucas deadlines coming up fml

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending