The Student Room Group

doing a masters in journalism and then a pgdip in politics/international relations ??

Hi, so I'm kind of in a complicated situation.
All my life I have wanted to become a journalist and so I did my undegrad in english ( I'm from france) and now I'm going to do a masters in digital journalism in the UK this september . I'm very excited about this, but the thing is, since january I think, I have been thinking that maybe journalism is not right for me, not because I don't like it, I do, but I've done a two month internship in a newspaper three summers ago and it was hell, I was paid, but I had to work sometimes 10 days in a row, from 9 am to midnight, I don't think I'm strong enough mentally to cope with that kind of job.
Anyways, in second and third year in my degree we studied us & uk politics, justice system and institutions, and I really really enjoyed it, and I'm thinking maybe I'd like to do a career related to international relations/politics ? But the thing is I would never had stood a chance as my degree is English and the equivalent grade for my degree in the UK would have been a 2.2 ( I applied for political communication as a masters for this year, but the uni said my academic standard was insufficient lol) .
So I'm going to do the masters in journalism, that my mom has paid for and my siblings have all helped for the whole rent, but then I feel like I should really apply for a pgdip for next year in international relations/ politics , because surely it would get me a better paid job and more job opportunities ? And I really enjoy these subjects now but obviously my undegrad degree was wrong, but I'm really enthusiastic about these subjects.
So my question is do you think it would be possible to get a place on a pgdip even though my undegrad is kind of crappy, given that I will be studying for a masters in journalism when I'll be applying? I intend to do my master dissertation on a topic related to political journalism, and in my masters, we'll have classes such as law and ethics etc so it could be seen as kind of having a link with the pgdip I want to apply for? Also I intend to join the politics society of my uni this year .
And if you do know, could you please tell me unis that are good for international relations/politics/human rights , and even unis that don't have very strong requirements ? Ideally I'd like to remain in Scotland ( but Glasgow university is the one which rejected me for communication this year so not sure it'd be useful to try again for politics ?) or northern England, but any suggestions are welcomed :smile: ! Also, I have savings with which I could pay the pgdip, but I'd either need to study part time and find a job to support myself, or to do full time and to find a loan for living costs ( does it exist for someone who is from the eu ?)

Sorry it's super long but I'm super worried and lost ! I know I shouldn't have gone through with the masters but it was too late to apply after and I would have had to go back home in my really small town in France for one more year, doing nothing except working at mcdonalds.
Reply 1
All my life I have wanted to become a journalist and so I did my undegrad in english ( I'm from france) and now I'm going to do a masters in digital journalism in the UK this september . I'm very excited about this, but the thing is, since january I think, I have been thinking that maybe journalism is not right for me, not because I don't like it, I do, but I've done a two month internship in a newspaper three summers ago and it was hell, I was paid, but I had to work sometimes 10 days in a row, from 9 am to midnight, I don't think I'm strong enough mentally to cope with that kind of job.
Anyways, in second and third year in my degree we studied us & uk politics, justice system and institutions, and I really really enjoyed it, and I'm thinking maybe I'd like to do a career related to international relations/politics ? But the thing is I would never had stood a chance as my degree is English and the equivalent grade for my degree in the UK would have been a 2.2 ( I applied for political communication as a masters for this year, but the uni said my academic standard was insufficient lol) .
So I'm going to do the masters in journalism, that my mom has paid for and my siblings have all helped for the whole rent, but then I feel like I should really apply for a pgdip for next year in international relations/ politics , because surely it would get me a better paid job and more job opportunities ? And I really enjoy these subjects now but obviously my undegrad degree was wrong, but I'm really enthusiastic about these subjects.
So my question is do you think it would be possible to get a place on a pgdip even though my undegrad is kind of crappy, given that I will be studying for a masters in journalism when I'll be applying? I intend to do my master dissertation on a topic related to political journalism, and in my masters, we'll have classes such as law and ethics etc so it could be seen as kind of having a link with the pgdip I want to apply for? Also I intend to join the politics society of my uni this year .
And if you do know, could you please tell me unis that are good for international relations/politics/human rights , and even unis that don't have very strong requirements ? Ideally I'd like to remain in Scotland ( but Glasgow university is the one which rejected me for communication this year so not sure it'd be useful to try again for politics ?) or northern England, but any suggestions are welcomed ! Also, I have savings with which I could pay the pgdip, but I'd either need to study part time and find a job to support myself, or to do full time and to find a loan for living costs ( does it exist for someone who is from the eu ?)

Sorry it's super long but I'm super worried and lost ! I know I shouldn't have gone through with the masters but it was too late to apply after and I would have had to go back home in my really small town in France for one more year, doing nothing except working at mcdonalds.
Original post by kiwi94
And if you do know, could you please tell me unis that are good for international relations/politics/human rights , and even unis that don't have very strong requirements ? Ideally I'd like to remain in Scotland ( but Glasgow university is the one which rejected me for communication this year so not sure it'd be useful to try again for politics ?) or northern England, but any suggestions are welcomed :smile: ! Also, I have savings with which I could pay the pgdip, but I'd either need to study part time and find a job to support myself, or to do full time and to find a loan for living costs ( does it exist for someone who is from the eu ?)

I very much doubt that a PGDip in IR is going to help professionally. You need to stop getting qualifications and crack on with getting experience. A PG Dip doesn;t help with much anywhere, it's not really considered a standalone qualification, it's a failed Masters with some merit in what you produced.

IR has got Masters and PhD students at 2 a penny vying for jobs, so a PG Dip isn't going to advance you anywhere.

Everything you are talking about professionally is hands-on, practical stuff - you are going to get a break in journalism by having a portfolio of work. IR jobs tend to start (if they aren't very academic ie think tank type roles) with volunteering and internships or moving in from charity work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
I very much doubt that a PGDip in IR is going to help professionally. You need to stop getting qualifications and crack on with getting experience. A PG Dip doesn;t help with much anywhere, it's not really considered a standalone qualification, it's a failed Masters with some merit in what you produced.

IR has got Masters and PhD students at 2 a penny vying for jobs, so a PG Dip isn't going to advance you anywhere.

Everything you are talking about professionally is hands-on, practical stuff - you are going to get a break in journalism by having a portfolio of work. IR jobs tend to start (if they aren't very academic ie think tank type roles) with volunteering and internships or moving in from charity work.

what if I did a masters and not a pgdip ?
Reply 4
Or I just thought about something that'd be a whole lot cheaper : After my masters I want to remain in the UK to work, so what if while doing that I did an online masters in " political sciences" from a french university, next year ? it's free for me. Would it be an accepted qualification to apply for jobs in international relations in the UK?
Original post by kiwi94
Or I just thought about something that'd be a whole lot cheaper : After my masters I want to remain in the UK to work, so what if while doing that I did an online masters in " political sciences" from a french university, next year ? it's free for me. Would it be an accepted qualification to apply for jobs in international relations in the UK?

I doubt it's going to make you competitive unless it's from a top institution. You need to get experience, all you seem to be doing at the moment is collecting certificates. Getting work in these areas is going to tell you a lot more about whether they suit you or not.
You can do as many postgraduate qualifications as you like if you feel it's relevant to what you want to achieve.

Lifelong learning does not have to be done at the detriment of being in industry.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending