The Student Room Group

A levels Choices URGENT INTERVIEW

I want to do biogoly, chemistry and physics. I have an interview tormoww and I will have to make my descisons. I think they won't allow me to do chemistry or physics. I don't want to study any dumb subjects I want it to lead me to an high paying job and successful job.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by England113
I want to do biogoly, chemistry and physics. I have an interview tormoww and I will have to make my descisons. I think they won't allow me to do chemistry or physics. I don't want to study any dumb subjects I want it to lead me to an high paying job and successful job.

Do you have the GCSE grades they asked for? We need to know a bit more as most people had offers of Sixth form places earlier in the year.

'Dumb subjects'...okay. Science subjects don't always equal successful, high-paying jobs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Do you have the GCSE grades they asked for? We need to know a bit more as most people had offers of Sixth form places earlier in the year.

They ask for an B in maths and science to do any science subjects. They ask for pretty much B in the subject you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by meandegreen
'Dumb subjects'...okay. Science subjects don't always equal successful, high-paying jobs.

STEM mentality
They ask for an B in maths and science to do any science subjects. They ask for pretty much B in the subject you want to do.

Well, do you have those grades? :h:

Pick up maths, it'll open so many doors if you get the right grade
Reply 7
Original post by JourneyToSuccess
Well, do you have those grades? :h:

Only think which I don't have is an B in maths.
Original post by UWS
STEM mentality

I know that I may be a little biased because everyone on TSR talks of going into Medicine and doing Science/Maths, while I have opted for essay-based/humanities subjects (History, English Lit, Psychology)! But I think all A-levels have oppurtunities to get a good and high-paying job so I don't really agree with OP's 'dumb subjects' talk.
Reply 9
Original post by meandegreen

Stuff like media studies and art

So what GCSE grades did you get? you seem to have conveniently left that out.

High paying and successful jobs will have more to do with the grades you achieve and your abilities. Subject choices alone are no guarantee.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
So what GCSE grades did you get? you seem to have conveniently left that out.

High paying and successful jobs will have more to do with the grades you achieve and your abilities. Subject choices alone are no guarantee.

2 A
1 c
And rest B
I wouldn't call the arts or social sciences 'dumb subjects' and I'm a STEM man.

While its true that they don't require the same cognition that the sciences do they still reflect their own form of intelligence. I would call the sciences the best measurement of raw mental capacity but I know people who get A*A*A* who if you asked them to come up with an interpretation of literature would be completely at a loss and who still think a comma is for "when you take a breath".

(I do think social sciences get a bad wrap. Personally, I have a respect for these subjects but I think they're horribly oversubscribed and misdirected. This is all off topic though)

If you didn't get a B in GCSE maths then I'd say STEM isn't for you because the maths content will get harder not easier. Maybe you can work something out with regards to resitting your GCSE maths but idk if that would be possible since you can't take a gap year.

EDIT: So you got a B in most things but not maths. Maths is pretty fundamental to physics and if you struggle with maths you will struggle with physics. You'll just have to explain to your interviewer. If you indicate a real vocation then they might let you do it but if your reasoning is "I don't want to do dumb subjects" then I wouldn't hold much hope.

At my college they made everyone who did physics do maths as well because physics really does involve a lot of maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Marked Target
I wouldn't call the arts or social sciences 'dumb subjects' and I'm a STEM man.

While its true that they don't require the same cognition that the sciences do they still reflect their own form of intelligence. I would call the sciences the best measurement of raw mental capacity but I know people who get A*A*A* who if you asked them to come up with an interpretation of literature would be completely at a loss and who still think a comma is for "when you take a breath".

(I do think social sciences get a bad wrap. Personally, I have a respect for these subjects but I think they're horribly oversubscribed and misdirected. This is all off topic though)

If you didn't get a B in GCSE maths then I'd say STEM isn't for you because the maths content will get harder not easier. Maybe you can work something out with regards to resitting your GCSE maths but idk if that would be possible since you can't take a gap year.

EDIT: So you got the grades you needed to in order to take the A levels you want. Why do you think they'd say no?

What subject choices could I do for an high paid job.
2 A
1 c
And rest B

Well done for being unhelpful again. Why wont they let you do Chemsistry and Physics? You should be fine with a B otherwise you are omly doing 1 A level.

You could do no A Levels and get a highly-paid job.
Reply 16
Well done for being unhelpful again. Why wont they let you do Chemsistry and Physics? You should be fine with a B otherwise you are omly doing 1 A level.

They aee

Why not do some research and think about what careers you would like and work your way backwards of how to get there? Good grades are what you need unless you have a specific career in mind.
Reply 18

They are maths dominant so less likely to get on for that due to my c in maths.
Reply 19
Why not do some research and think about what careers you would like and work your way backwards of how to get there? Good grades are what you need unless you have a specific career in mind.

What about a lawyer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending