The Student Room Group

are my GCSE's good enough for med?

I got 3 a*, 6 a, 1b.
Will it help if i resit 2/3 (inc, b) GCSE's?
I'm not picky with Unis either.
Good enough. Don't resit.
Reply 2
Original post by champ_mc99
Good enough. Don't resit.

Thanks for repling! May I ask why I shouldn't resit?
You don't need to resit with those grades. Avoid Oxford and Birmingham though
As mentioned, avoid GCSE-heavy unis like Brum and Oxford.

You need to look at individual medical schools' entry requirements to get a better idea but you should be okay for most medical schools. I'd suggest trying absolutely 110% for your A Levels and (eventually) UKCAT/BMAT, though, as they are bigger parts of your application. You should probably also look to start looking for work experience and/or volunteering as soon as possible.
Reply 5
what if I resit?
Cardiff is also a no-go.
Otherwise, I'll just second what dairychocolate said.
Original post by ruben114
what if I resit?

I'd say that it's not worth distracting yourself from your A Level studies but it's your call.
what if I resit?

There's pretty much no point in resitting, unless you're absolutely desperate to get into one of the unis that's been named as one that's GCSE-heavy.
Reply 9
I was so close to 6a*! will unis see my resit & will i seem unprofessional?
I was so close to 6a*! will unis see my resit & will i seem unprofessional?

If you were super close to an A* then a remark might be more appropriate, but with changes to the rules regarding remarks it's pretty unlikely that mark will actually go up unfortunately (also it'll wind up being super expensive if you send loads of your papers off to be remarked and none of them come back with a higher mark/grade).

Can't recall off the top of my head if med schools actually say anything about GCSE resits (to answer your question, the unis would see them as you'd have to declare them on your UCAS form), but I honestly think you're better off investing your time in your A levels in order to get the highest grades you can in those. Your GCSEs are good enough as they are, and while I genuinely feel your pain about being super close but not quite making it it's better to move forward.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending