The Student Room Group

My Year 13 Journey to A*A*A*A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thatawesomekid
Your maths ums brought a tear to my eye

awww haha thank you <3 It's quite frustrating though, I let the pressure get the better of me in C3. Since that was my first A2 exam I was really nervous and felt kinda intimidated by all the year 13s in the exam hall. It's probably my strongest module and I was doing a lot better in past papers than I did on the day.

As for M1, that was completely my own fault. It was my last exam of the summer so I knew it wouldn't do much to affect my overall grade (either I had an A* or an A) therefore I slacked my revision and only fully concentrated on it the weekend before the exam. I also made a really stupid error with an eqn of motion that cost me 2/3 marks. Just wish I'd taken it a bit more seriously so I might've been in the 590ums crew :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by p29
how many hours do you spend studying per day?

Not including lesson time and homeworks:
September - December: 30mins - 2hrs max a day
January - March: 1 - 3 hrs a day
April: 3-4 hrs a day
May - June: As much as physically possible. 7-12 hrs a day usually
Original post by 98matt

jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz hhhhhhnnnnngggggg
Original post by 98matt

Beast mode. Might follow that to be honest.
Reply 24
Original post by Chittesh14
Beast mode. Might follow that to be honest.

I wanted to do the best I could. The only way I knew how to do that was to work harder than everyone else in my classes. Coming out of my last exam, I knew I'd pretty much given it my best shot - yeh i regretted some of the answers I put, but I was happy that I'd worked as much as I had.

Find people who are better than you and work until you can compete with them. Another boy in my maths class had the same overall ums as me, a girl in my physics class had 100ums in both exams. I plan on starting my revision earlier this year so I can hopefully do better than my year 12 results
Original post by 98matt
I wanted to do the best I could. The only way I knew how to do that was to work harder than everyone else in my classes. Coming out of my last exam, I knew I'd pretty much given it my best shot - yeh i regretted some of the answers I put, but I was happy that I'd worked as much as I had.

Find people who are better than you and work until you can compete with them. Another boy in my maths class had the same overall ums as me, a girl in my physics class had 100ums in both exams. I plan on starting my revision earlier this year so I can hopefully do better than my year 12 results

This reminds me of a TSR user on here who has perfect UMS doing A-level Maths in 1 year, along with perfect UMS for 3 other AS courses.
subbed, good luck m8
Original post by 98matt
I've noticed quite a lot of these threads recently so thought I'd make my own for the upcoming academic year :biggrin:

At GCSE I got 8A*'s and 4A's. In year 12 I studied Maths A-level, Physics AS level and Chemistry AS level. My results were:
Maths: A* - 583/600
C1 100ums
C2 100ums
C3 91ums
C4 100ums
S1 99ums
M1 93ums

Physics: A - 187/200
Unit 1 87ums
Unit 2 100ums

Chemistry: A - 162/200
Unit 1 81ums
Unit 2 81 ums

I will be dropping chemistry this year to study Further Maths, Physics and Welsh Baccalaureate. I'm applying to study Physics at university - I plan on applying to Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, Warwick and an undecided 5th choice...

Over the summer I've been focusing on M2 and M3 work in preparation for the Physics Aptitude Test (PAT). I'm yet to start any A2 physics revision yet but I plan on starting within the next week or two.

I hope that this diary will act as motivation for me to study harder than last year. I will probably update it every few days with what I've covered and what I intend on doing next. Feel free to share your own thoughts/ideas/experiences with me - good luck to everyone in this new academic year :biggrin:

So which units will you be doing for further maths? Are you doing the full A Level or just AS further maths?
Congrats on your grades! Absolutely amazing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by DamnDaniel2
So which units will you be doing for further maths? Are you doing the full A Level or just AS further maths?
Congrats on your grades! Absolutely amazing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :biggrin:
I'll be doing the whole A level - FP1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3 S2. I may self teach S3 if I have time & depending on how I find the other units

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 98matt
I'll be doing the whole A level - FP1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3 S2. I may self teach S3 if I have time & depending on how I find the other units

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, I know you're really clever. But please think about that again, doing all of further maths in 1 year? Unless you've done some modules before, I'd reconsider that because that's a lot...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by 98matt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey those are the exact same modules I'll be doing next year good luck mate imma follow you're journey
Reply 31
Dude, I know you're really clever. But please think about that again, doing all of further maths in 1 year? Unless you've done some modules before, I'd reconsider that because that's a lot...

I'm not "really clever" lol, lots of people get better scores than me. Also, in year 12 I did C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 & S1 so it's the same number of modules as that.

I've also dropped chemistry which means I'll actually be studying less content this year :smile: I've started FP1 M2 and a little M3 over summer too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by joodaa
Hey those are the exact same modules I'll be doing next year good luck mate imma follow you're journey

Awesome dude! What uni course(s) are you looking at and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by 98matt
I'm not "really clever" lol, lots of people get better scores than me. Also, in year 12 I did C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 & S1 so it's the same number of modules as that.

I've also dropped chemistry which means I'll actually be studying less content this year :smile: I've started FP1 M2 and a little M3 over summer too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome dude! What uni course(s) are you looking at and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im going for maths at Uni, and I'm hoing to go to one of oxford, durham and st andrews. How difficult would you say M2 and M3 have been compared to C3 and C4? Those are the units I'd say frighten me the most since I don't do physics
Reply 33
Original post by joodaa
Im going for maths at Uni, and I'm to go to one of oxford, durham and st andrews. How difficult would you say M2 and M3 have been compared to C3 and C4? Those are the units I'd say frighten me the most since I don't do physics

I've only covered one topic of M3 so far so I can't give much of a judgement on that. M2 seemed surprisingly okay and not too challenging in comparison with C3 and C4.

I feel like the topics in mechanics tend to blur together more than in the pure modules. Lots of questions involve resolving components of forces, using F = ma, etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a lot lol - it's the exact same as someone doing Maths AS and further Maths AS in year 12 then doing maths and fm A2 in year 13. In fact, doing C3 and C4 helps quite a bit with some of the further modules.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply 35
Original post by 98matt
I've only covered one topic of M3 so far so I can't give much of a judgement on that. M2 seemed surprisingly okay and not too challenging in comparison with C3 and C4.

I feel like the topics in mechanics tend to blur together more than in the pure modules. Lots of questions involve resolving components of forces, using F = ma, etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay igy thats good too know
Reply 36
Original post by 98matt
Id definitely recommend keeping up to date with your notes for bio and chem. For physics (I shouldve done this for chem) I made detailed notes after completing each topic which proved really useful to me when I came to revise!
For maths all you can really do is practice. The more maths you do the better you become. As for english lit, from what I've heard there's a lot of funky words you have to learn along with their definitions. Im not the best person to give advice here but if it were me, I'd probably make flashcards with each word and definition on. You can do the same for key characters/themes/places in the texts you'll be studying. Good luck!

Thank you, that was really helpful! Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by 98matt

I was thinking that you might be able to do it because you've dropped Chemistry. Let's just see how you get on, it should be easy now since you've already started a few modules which is quite a lot. What I meant was Further Maths and modules after like M2, M3... will obviously be harder hence it's more pressure. Anyway, good luck :smile:
Original post by TheRandomGenius
It's not a lot lol - it's the exact same as someone doing Maths AS and further Maths AS in year 12 then doing maths and fm A2 in year 13. In fact, doing C3 and C4 helps quite a bit with some of the further modules.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but doing the whole of the A-level in Year 12 is different lol. I just realised he hasn't done Further Maths but oh well, yeah I understand where you're coming from lol. C3 and C4 helps with FP2, FP1 only requires C1 and C2 knowledge - I don't even know how it requires C2 because I haven't done it yet.
Reply 39
I was thinking that you might be able to do it because you've dropped Chemistry. Let's just see how you get on, it should be easy now since you've already started a few modules which is quite a lot. What I meant was Further Maths and modules after like M2, M3... will obviously be harder hence it's more pressure. Anyway, good luck :smile:

Thank you! Yeah I understand that the modules get more challenging but I'm willing to put in the work for them so hopefully I'll do okay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending