The Student Room Group

Never satisfied with my grades? Need help!

I cannot relax right now. I have just finished GCSES and I got straight A*s but it is still not enough. Now I have decided I 'need' straight A*s at A Level so I am feeling so stressed about doing enough work and starting early enough, even though I have realised that even if I do get these grades I will still not be satisfied. How can I stop panicking because it's already making me miserable?!
Original post by panic!intheexam
I cannot relax right now. I have just finished GCSES and I got straight A*s but it is still not enough. Now I have decided I 'need' straight A*s at A Level so I am feeling so stressed about doing enough work and starting early enough, even though I have realised that even if I do get these grades I will still not be satisfied. How can I stop panicking because it's already making me miserable?!

find a hobby, get a good group of friends, just find something to take your mind off of it! you're clearly a devoted academic, getting the grades won't be a problem, just try to do things you enjoy along the way!
Haha, I know the feeling. When I got my A level results and went to talk to people they were like "Oh, did it not go well" when they saw me but I got good grades.

If you've just finished GCSEs then you really have nothing to be stressing about. Literally, you don't even have any work you could be doing let alone should. I found I used to get really stressed, I'd angry about the most trivial things and could never relax until i started exercising so maybe try that? I think having a physical outlet is a very good thing and what i was missing. You could take up a sport if just exercise is boring or you enjoy competition.
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
find a hobby, get a good group of friends, just find something to take your mind off of it! you're clearly a devoted academic, getting the grades won't be a problem, just try to do things you enjoy along the way!

Thanks for replying- I do have a great (albeit small) group of friends, but for the past few days I've been avoiding going out with them just so I can study. I've seen on here that some people think that you shouldn't have friends in college and should be just totally focused on work in order to succeed, which is really getting to me and making me feel so lazy!
Thanks for replying- I do have a great (albeit small) group of friends, but for the past few days I've been avoiding going out with them just so I can study. I've seen on here that some people think that you shouldn't have friends in college and should be just totally focused on work in order to succeed, which is really getting to me and making me feel so lazy!

Who says you shouldn't have any friends?! They're completely insane! Not only are friends a great thing for obvious reasons revising with friends is far more useful than doing it on your own since you can help each other if you're stuck, motivate each other and compete.

First calm down take a deep breath. Why don't you try meditation/yoga or listen to some zen music/classical music?

Don't think about work all the time. You need to give yourself a break! At least you're a human and you need to look after yourself. Unnecessary stress can lead to various health problems e.g. Colds/infections and hair loss etc. When you panic quickly grab some water and drink it. It kinds of calms you down a little bit (at least it works for me!). Don't stress yourself now but do work hard and take breaks between revision sessions and eat healthy.

I've got something that you might like...

The Organised Student - a collection of study blogs on Tumblr!

http://theorganisedstudent.tumblr.com
Original post by Marked Target
Who says you shouldn't have any friends?! They're completely insane! Not only are friends a great thing for obvious reasons revising with friends is far more useful than doing it on your own since you can help each other if you're stuck, motivate each other and compete.

I completely agree with you. Combined studies are the best type of revision as you can test/quiz each other. You can teach your friends topics that you are strong in and vice versa.
Original post by Marked Target
Haha, I know the feeling. When I got my A level results and went to talk to people they were like "Oh, did it not go well" when they saw me but I got good grades.

If you've just finished GCSEs then you really have nothing to be stressing about. Literally, you don't even have any work you could be doing let alone should. I found I used to get really stressed, I'd angry about the most trivial things and could never relax until i started exercising so maybe try that? I think having a physical outlet is a very good thing and what i was missing. You could take up a sport if just exercise is boring or you enjoy competition.

That is so like me on results day lol- people were crying etc and I was just sitting in the corner feeling literally nothing at all. I do have some work to do- I did core 1 and core 2 of as maths last year, so I'm self teaching mechanics, and getting ahead on core 3. I'm also reading the books for English lit, doing some art to refresh myself and recapping GCSE physics as I'm doing that for a level also. I do go to a few sports clubs, it's just that I had a severe eating disorder that made me miss a year of school, so I don't want that getting out of hand again, especially because I'm stressed
Seriously, get a life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest