The Student Room Group

Would you get married early or marry someone from back home?

I'm 21, Sikh and female, I wouldn't marry someone from back home at ALL. Not even 1% chance.

Generally, considering both my parents are from India but they're very modern to a certain extent. My Dad was here since he was 14 and Mum came 23 so there's no pressure for me to get married although..

Recently, me and my family went out to dinner. My Dad expressed an interest by getting me married off in 2/3 years and my sister 4/5. (Not to men from back home, same for our brother in regards to women). My Mum just laughed and brother didn't give a **** (he's 12 lol, thanks bro for the support)

My reaction was like "HAHAHAHA bye."
My sister was like "Piss off."

You can tell we're both so eager to get married 👰🏻🎩💍😂

I can understand his view point considering my Mum got married at 20 and he's not pressured me to get married at 20. Usually, from what I've been told men marry women younger and my Dad was 25 when he married my Mum.

Nothing serious, I was just in shock at what he said lol.
Reply 1
No and no lol
Reply 2
Original post by rolaah
No and no lol

Join the club! I want to get married at 27 and have my first baby around 30. I want to work few years and develop my career lol.
Do you only want a Sikh man?
Reply 4
What kind of guy do you want to marry
Reply 5
Original post by RooshVee
What kind of guy do you want to marry

I want to marry someone like me, educated in terms of having a degree. I'd want someone to have a good character: which includes being genuine, understanding, faithful, supportive trustworthy, hard working, ambitious and all the basic stuff. I don't want a cheapskate husband either. I plan on working full time even after I have children to help support my family, I don't want to rely and be dependent on my husbands income.

Oh, he should also like theme parks 😅 haha, I'm not even fussed if he hates them and I love them.

I don't want him to take me for granted and I want him to help in household chores 50/50%. I'd happily do household chores and cooking but I don't want to have to do it all the time, he should help out equally. In my family, both my parents have split up household chores 50/50.

I don't think I'm expecting to much, I just want him to have education, good character and help out in household chores. It's not like I'm expecting him to have a lot of money and be rich, so I can live the life of a gold digger wife.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I want to marry someone like me, educated in terms of having a degree. I'd want someone to have a good character: which includes being genuine, understanding, faithful, supportive trustworthy, hard working, ambitious and all the basic stuff. I don't want a cheapskate husband either. I plan on working full time even after I have children to help support my family, I don't want to rely and be dependent on my husbands income.

Oh, he should also like theme parks 😅 haha, I'm not even fussed if he hates them and I love them.

I don't want him to take me for granted and I want him to help in household chores 50/50%. I'd happily do household chores and cooking but I don't want to have to do it all the time, he should help out equally. In my family, both my parents have split up household chores 50/50.

I don't think I'm expecting to much, I just want him to have education, good character and help out in household chores. It's not like I'm expecting him to have a lot of money and be rich, so I can live the life of a gold digger wife.

That's exactly what I would think. If your parents don't like that, they have to deal with it. You're 21 for god's sake!
Reply 7
Original post by rolaah
That's exactly what I would think. If your parents don't like that, they have to deal with it. You're 21 for god's sake!

They agree with me, hence why I've not been pressured to get married. My Dad was just joking around, I think he's getting serious because he's turning 50 soon and probably wants us all to be settled.. Ah well lol!

Quick Reply