The Student Room Group

Best Philosophy Undergraduate College at Cambridge?

I have been looking around at the different Cambridge colleges that take Philosophy Undergraduates, and wanted to know if you TSR people had any view on the best colleges for Philosophy? I was thinking Trinity as I really liked it when I looked around the university a month or so ago (and my grandfather went there). However, I had a look around Jesus and really liked it too, but it turns out that they only accept between 1 and 3 Philosophy students a year there, whereas Trinity takes so many more. So, what I'm asking is does it really matter if your college doesn't have many other people doing your course? Further to that, if anyone has any suggestions as to better colleges for Philosophy, please let me know! Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Dr Carlsberg
I have been looking around at the different Cambridge colleges that take Philosophy Undergraduates, and wanted to know if you TSR people had any view on the best colleges for Philosophy? I was thinking Trinity as I really liked it when I looked around the university a month or so ago (and my grandfather went there). However, I had a look around Jesus and really liked it too, but it turns out that they only accept between 1 and 3 Philosophy students a year there, whereas Trinity takes so many more. So, what I'm asking is does it really matter if your college doesn't have many other people doing your course? Further to that, if anyone has any suggestions as to better colleges for Philosophy, please let me know! Thanks!

Philosophy is a small course at all colleges: Trinity is also only 2 or 3 per year.

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 22.43.58.jpg
I think you're splitting hairs. Colleges aren't really specialized and it is impossible to know just how many will be accepted for what tripos. My daughter applied to St. Catherine's because she had heard it had many archaeology students, but they accepted none that year and she was pooled to Girton, which she had never heard of and absolutely fell in love with.
Original post by jneill
Philosophy is a small course at all colleges: Trinity is also only 2 or 3 per year.

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 22.43.58.jpg

Oh wow, thanks for the reply. I was going off of statistics that my school gave me! :s-smilie: Evidently they are wrong. Thanks for clearing that up!
Original post by alcibiade
I think you're splitting hairs. Colleges aren't really specialized and it is impossible to know just how many will be accepted for what tripos. My daughter applied to St. Catherine's because she had heard it had many archaeology students, but they accepted none that year and she was pooled to Girton, which she had never heard of and absolutely fell in love with.

Ah ok, well thank you. I think I'll just go based off of which one I like best then, because as you say, pooling may change things anyway. Thanks!
Original post by Dr Carlsberg

I'm off to Pembroke for Philosophy. I didn't pick Pembroke for the fact that it particularly has a good reputation for Philosophy or anything, though. I thought that all colleges would be equally good at each subject so I asked my friends at Cambridge which was the friendliest college. They all said Pembroke, so that's the college I picked.

I was a bit silly and didn't even look at the application statistics before choosing a college. I did after applying and felt very relieved that I hadn't considered King's or Trinity as those are both hugely oversubscribed. King's seems to get the most Philosophy applicants every year and I don't have a clue why.

You can look at the application statistics here. It will tell you how many people applied for philosophy at each college per year and how many of those were successful:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Bear in mind that your choice of college doesn't necessarily affect your chances of getting an offer as good candidates are pooled. However, if you apply to a very popular college you do run the risk if getting pooled to a college which wouldn't have been one of your top choices.
Original post by Platopus
I'm off to Pembroke for Philosophy. I didn't pick Pembroke for the fact that it particularly has a good reputation for Philosophy or anything, though. I thought that all colleges would be equally good at each subject so I asked my friends at Cambridge which was the friendliest college. They all said Pembroke, so that's the college I picked.

I was a bit silly and didn't even look at the application statistics before choosing a college. I did after applying and felt very relieved that I hadn't considered King's or Trinity as those are both hugely oversubscribed. King's seems to get the most Philosophy applicants every year and I don't have a clue why.

You can look at the application statistics here. It will tell you how many people applied for philosophy at each college per year and how many of those were successful:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Bear in mind that your choice of college doesn't necessarily affect your chances of getting an offer as good candidates are pooled. However, if you apply to a very popular college you do run the risk if getting pooled to a college which wouldn't have been one of your top choices.

Which college/s were those friends at?
They are so many colleges (most of them) who claim they're the friendliest college, and I haven't heard many students saying Pembroke being the friendliest of all friendliest colleges.......:wink:

The only 'third-party' remark on colleges' friendliness I've come across is when The Tab did an article on the students stereo-type of each college, there was a mention on fitz students being "the sickly nice and friendly". :tongue:
Original post by vincrows
Which college/s were those friends at?
They are so many colleges (most of them) who claim they're the friendliest college, and I haven't heard many students saying Pembroke being the friendliest of all friendliest colleges.......:wink:

The only 'third-party' remark on colleges' friendliness I've come across is when The Tab did an article on the students stereo-type of each college, there was a mention on fitz students being "the sickly nice and friendly". :tongue:

@vincrows actually, none of them are at Pembroke! haha :tongue: my friends are at Jesus, Christs, Gonville & Caius but they have friends at other colleges whose opinions they also asked and the unequivocal answer was Pembroke!
Original post by Platopus
@vincrows actually, none of them are at Pembroke! haha :tongue: my friends are at Jesus, Christs, Gonville & Caius but they have friends at other colleges whose opinions they also asked and the unequivocal answer was Pembroke!

Well, I've always had someone/s I know at Cambridge for donkey's ears, but never heard Pembroke being the friendliest college among 'the most friendly colleges' :tongue:
Not saying they are not friendly, but never heard they're particularly friendlier than others. :wink:

Anyway, afaik, there isn't any college that is not a friendly college, and the atmosphere/impression of college is largely influenced by people around you or people you just happen to come across and chemistry of students change every year, so I think this kind of argument is probably pointless. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Anyway, afaik, there isn't any college that is not a friendly college, and the atmosphere/impression of college is largely influenced by people around you or people you just happen to come across and chemistry of students change every year, so I think this kind of argument is probably pointless. :wink:

^110% this :smile:
Original post by jneill
^110% this :smile:

Only 110%? Really gutted ........:frown:

Thanks for the rep, tho. :biggrin:

Btw, PRSOM rule not applicable to mods?
Was just wondering........
Reply 11
Btw, PRSOM rule not applicable to mods?

It applies :frown:
Original post by jneill
It applies :frown:

Oh......I see....
A *cough* certain mod *cough*! has been very kindly giving me several reps in a short period of time since I came back here, so been wondering if mods can rep as often as they want without restriction.....

So that means that mod is giving out lots of reps to lots of people at tremendous speed. :tongue:
Reply 13
Oh......I see....
A *cough* certain mod *cough*! has been very kindly giving me several reps in a short period of time since I came back here, so been wondering if mods can rep as often as they want without restriction.....

So that means that mod is giving out lots of reps to lots of people at tremendous speed. :tongue:

We love everybody, it's a necessary part of the job :smile: :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
We love everybody, it's a necessary part of the job :smile: :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only one particular 'mods' I'm talking about.....:tongue:
Reply 15
Only one particular 'mods' I'm talking about.....:tongue:

Aww... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I've always had someone/s I know at Cambridge for donkey's ears, but never heard Pembroke being the friendliest college among 'the most friendly colleges' :tongue:
Not saying they are not friendly, but never heard they're particularly friendlier than others. :wink:

Hey, cool it there. I didn't mean to cause offence. I know that all colleges at Cambridge are friendly! I was just explaining how I made my choice. I guess the people I know must be in a year where the Pembroke people are nice!
Reply 17
Peterhouse is the best I've heard, I've got a mate doing philosophy at Christ's and he says the Peterhouse student gets the best opportunity by a mile. They usually only accept one student a year, and the college has many philosophy fellows, which basically means they get hand-reared into one of the best students consistently, year in year out. Just what I've heard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending