The Student Room Group

To gym or not to gym?

Simple question here, wanting to get healthy and fit having lost a lot of my fitness over the past couple of years.

Uni Gym membership is £165 for the academic year, but considering I am not wanting to use many of the weights and would be mainly going for cycling, running, rowing machine etc. is it worth me spending the money when I can run outside for free and get some basic weights to use back at home? The other issue is the gym is a good walk away to (no car or bike so would be walking).

Wanted some outside opinions on this as im getting mixed opinions from friends and family and being new to this im not sure whats best for me. is it really worth paying for a gym membership just to use the aerobic equipment?

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

You are a doctor, you should be telling us the answer :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
You are a doctor, you should be telling us the answer :tongue:

Hahaha I was even thinking that myself, im so useless though when it comes to all this, dont know where to turn :biggrin:!

Money wise is my biggest issue, £165 for membership to do cardio vs. just running on the streets for free (sounds so dodgy when you say it like that...) and getting some basic weights at home. Im not looking to go mad and get all toned and that, just looking to keep fit, get active and maintain a healthy weight.
I don't think I'm going to join the gym when I start uni soon mainly because of the cost and that like you I wouldn't be using any of the weights or doing any lifting, I quite like running outside anyway, it's just being disciplined enough to keep exercising and going for runs without the specific destination of the gym for that purpose I guess!
Reply 4
it's worth it for the convenience and it means you'll be more likely to stick to it as you already payed and everything is in one place plus free-weights are great as well give it a go
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MissEllieL
I don't think I'm going to join the gym when I start uni soon mainly because of the cost and that like you I wouldn't be using any of the weights or doing any lifting, I quite like running outside anyway, it's just being disciplined enough to keep exercising and going for runs without the specific destination of the gym for that purpose I guess!

This is how im feeling, enjoy running and like the scenary, the weather is a little off putting but whatever I am british I will cope.
The one thing that put me off running outdoors was the stares I got, being larger chested can be quite awkward when giving it a good run around the streets at uni. But once I am out and off I am fine. Yes agree about the discipline, for me it was more exhaustion that stopped me at uni due to the full on course, but I am so up for it!
You are either a gym sort of person or not. have you ever joined one before? an you be relied upon to do regular exercise?
Do they do a day pass so you can try it out? What about classes, they tend to be popular and less boring for women.

I would also suggest you do at 35-50% weights if you wnat a better shape. Plenty of women love the benefits of lifting weights and it adds variety. Weights do things cardio cannot.

Are there any other non student budget gyms on a monthly contract you could try like pure gym or the gym? You can join those on a monthly contract and cancel if you dont like them.

Getting a bike isnt a bad idea for Uni.

If you stayed at home then you could use something like fitness blender, which has plenty of free workouts or start having a look at nerdfitness
Tbh there are loads of sites with plenty of good information. Its all a bit personal choice that you do something which suits you.

If you are running then something like couch to 5k if you are beginning to run.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
https://www.fitnessblender.com/

Sorry thats a bit all over the place. Have a look at the stickies on the fitness forum.
Original post by Natalierm2707
This is how im feeling, enjoy running and like the scenary, the weather is a little off putting but whatever I am british I will cope.
The one thing that put me off running outdoors was the stares I got, being larger chested can be quite awkward when giving it a good run around the streets at uni. But once I am out and off I am fine. Yes agree about the discipline, for me it was more exhaustion that stopped me at uni due to the full on course, but I am so up for it!

It might get tough in the winter but like you said we're used to it! I have the same with running outdoors as I have quite big boobs too, still trying to find a sports bra which stops the pain and the stares and comments haha. I guess it's a case of finding one and putting the headphones in to avoid noticing! When you know you're up for it then discipline won't be a problem gym membership or none I think. Plus I prefer to run in the fresh air than a smelly gym haha :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You are either a gym sort of person or not. have you ever joined one before? an you be relied upon to do regular exercise?
Do they do a day pass so you can try it out? What about classes, they tend to be popular and less boring for women.

I would also suggest you do at 35-50% weights if you wnat a better shape. Plenty of women love the benefits of lifting weights and it adds variety. Weights do things cardio cannot.

Are there any other non student budget gyms on a monthly contract you could try like pure gym or the gym? You can join those on a monthly contract and cancel if you dont like them.

Getting a bike isnt a bad idea for Uni.

If you stayed at home then you could use something like fitness blender, which has plenty of free workouts or start having a look at nerdfitness
Tbh there are loads of sites with plenty of good information. Its all a bit personal choice that you do something which suits you.

If you are running then something like couch to 5k if you are beginning to run.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
https://www.fitnessblender.com/

Sorry thats a bit all over the place. Have a look at the stickies on the fitness forum.

This is the issue I was having, the gym doesn't allow a test day as its a uni sports village, so its a pain, and the other gyms are quite a walk out (nearest other than the uni gym is a 40 minute walk and I just dont have the time for that incorporated into med school life). The classes are not at convenient times at all, so ive ruled them out, I like to exercise very very early morning before lectures.

I have considered the bike for a long while but have no idea where I would store it at my house, we have no shed/garage and the garden isnt very secure so I was a little concerned about it getting nicked. might look into it though as its a brill way to get to uni.

I think I am going to try running and home fitness first, if I feel it isnt cutting it or I want more variety I will head for the gym, but no point wasting money if it turns out not to be my thing.
Go and lift some weights, your physique will thank you further down the road :wink:

Original post by MissEllieL
I have the same with running outdoors as I have quite big boobs too, still trying to find a sports bra which stops the pain and the stares and comments haha.

If that's your picture there I can confirm, ample breastage :top:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Go and lift some weights, your physique will thank you further down the road :wink:

If that's your picture there I can confirm, ample breastage :top:

Ahaha yep it is which isn't helpful when running especially outdoors!
Reply 11
What's your ass like? Probably not very good so get squatting.

You'll need it if you want to attract someone in spite of your degree.

And who knows, you may end up learning something about human health that isn't a sales pitch for Big Pharma.
Reply 12
Uni gyms are always overpriced. Look for external ones

I think keep running and cycling outside for now, when winter comes switch to gym membership (it's going to get cold and you don't want to be slipping on some ice when running :biggrin:).
Reply 14
Original post by 41b
What's your ass like? Probably not very good so get squatting.

You'll need it if you want to attract someone in spite of your degree.

And who knows, you may end up learning something about human health that isn't a sales pitch for Big Pharma.

Pretty good actually, been doing squats for a number of years... Just because i dont go to the gym doesnt mean i dont try to stay in shape.

And haha dont need to attract anyone, thanks for the advice though, very very happy in my current long term relationship!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by catinsomehat
I think keep running and cycling outside for now, when winter comes switch to gym membership (it's going to get cold and you don't want to be slipping on some ice when running :biggrin:).

Thats what i think im going to do x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some uni gyms can be really overpriced. My uni gym is pretty cheap though.

Go lift weights!! You will benefit from this so much. Just do 3 times a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by jblackmoustache
Some uni gyms can be really overpriced. My uni gym is pretty cheap though.

Go lift weights!! You will benefit from this so much. Just do 3 times a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue at my uni is the private gyms are a very long walk, so for me it was worth the money for the uni gym (dont have the time 2 hours to spend walking to and from).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Pretty good actually, been doing squats for a number of years... Just because i dont go to the gym doesnt mean i dont try to stay in shape.

And haha dont need to attract anyone, thanks for the advice though, very very happy in my current long term relationship!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno, if it's anything like your face it can't be great

2/3 means I'm still winning #winning #sweetphysiciantears
Simple question here, wanting to get healthy and fit having lost a lot of my fitness over the past couple of years.

Uni Gym membership is £165 for the academic year, but considering I am not wanting to use many of the weights and would be mainly going for cycling, running, rowing machine etc. is it worth me spending the money when I can run outside for free and get some basic weights to use back at home? The other issue is the gym is a good walk away to (no car or bike so would be walking).

Wanted some outside opinions on this as im getting mixed opinions from friends and family and being new to this im not sure whats best for me. is it really worth paying for a gym membership just to use the aerobic equipment?

Opinions?

Working out in general = +

£165/1 year = £13.75 which is hardly anything if you take away couple drinks.

Blunt truth is majority of people won't go work outside to do cardio and if they do, doubt they'll adhere to it long enough to see any results. :yep: Surround yourself with like minded people + you might even make a friend or two, especially in classes if that's your thing. :smile:

Im not looking to go mad and get all toned and that, just looking to keep fit, get active and maintain a healthy weight

I don't know where girls get in their head that if they even pick up a single dumbbell they'll turn into Dana Bailey. :facepalm: unless you want to do cardio 24/7 its best to do a combination of both weightlifting + cardio overall.

Original post by RooshV
Uni gyms are always overpriced. Look for external ones

:facepalm: Uni gyms are amongst the cheapest gyms you'll come across especially if you're a student. External ones such as commercial chain gyms are expensive af.

Quick Reply

Latest