The Student Room Group

Physics Work Experinace?

Hello,I am a current GCSE student(going into Y11) and my ambition is to become a theoretical physicist.

My goals is to study physics at oxford...As physics is not a vocational course does it require work experience?

I know friends who want to do medicine and are applying for WE in hospital(They are 16 though)...

Is it recommended to do physics WE for University of oxford)?/Is it possible(As i have not come across any)?

If so,Where and how exactly should i do work experience?How long does it last?How much should i have for a top university?

And also,am i old enough for physics WE(I'm 15)...
Finally,am i doing this at a late stage?I have wanted to a physicist for a long time but is V.early Y11 Late/Early for Physics WE in comparison to the majority of people/Normal?

A in-depth answer would be greatly appreciated!

Also,I live in the UK for your reference...

Thanks!
Original post by VNN
Hello,I am a current GCSE student(going into Y11) and my ambition is to become a theoretical physicist.

My goals is to study physics at oxford...As physics is not a vocational course does it require work experience?

I know friends who want to do medicine and are applying for WE in hospital(They are 16 though)...

Is it recommended to do physics WE for University of oxford)?/Is it possible(As i have not come across any)?

If so,Where and how exactly should i do work experience?How long does it last?How much should i have for a top university?

And also,am i old enough for physics WE(I'm 15)...
Finally,am i doing this at a late stage?I have wanted to a physicist for a long time but is V.early Y11 Late/Early for Physics WE in comparison to the majority of people/Normal?

A in-depth answer would be greatly appreciated!

Also,I live in the UK for your reference...

Thanks!

in the summer of year 11, apply for a Nuffield research placement http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements
ask for physics
job done :smile:I'm just finishing mine on engineering/physics so feel free to VM with questions but would highly reccomend this :wink:there is also a thread on it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3797577
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
in the summer of year 11, apply for a Nuffield research placement http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements
ask for physics
job done :smile:I'm just finishing mine on engineering/physics so feel free to VM with questions but would highly recommend this :wink:there is also a thread on it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3797577

As you probably know,It is the summer of y10 for me...Do i HAVE to be 16 to do physics WE?Can i do it before Y11 SUMMER?

I curious as I'm very keen to get started and get a competitive edge as oxford is a top University?

Also,Is it very useful for course like physics?
Original post by VNN
As you probably know,It is the summer of y10 for me...Do i HAVE to be 16 to do physics WE?Can i do it before Y11 SUMMER?

I curious as I'm very keen to get started and get a competitive edge as oxford is a top University?

Also,Is it very useful for course like physics?

this scheme is directed for students in year 12 so for this one yes, if u ask other places then maybe not? Idk - its all about schemes and safety and stuff
yeah I get u
it is very useful especially if u get a really good project - mines was on cryogenic engines and stuff but there is a real range, u can also phone up companies there are in ure area and see if they will take u? Then u can plan ur own project?Hope this helps u dude :wink:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
this scheme is directed for students in year 12 so for this one yes, if u ask other places then maybe not? Idk - its all about schemes and safety and stuff
yeah I get u
it is very useful especially if u get a really good project - mines was on cryogenic engines and stuff but there is a real range, u can also phone up companies there are in ure area and see if they will take u? Then u can plan ur own project?Hope this helps u dude :wink:

Thanks!

Any recommended companies?
Original post by VNN
Thanks!

Any recommended companies?

try Thales? that's the first one that came up in my head :rofl:
but do some research m8!
physics is a theoretical subject. it's not like medicine and nursing where you can get work experience, per se.
is it possible though?
Reply 8
Work experience is not at all required for a physics course.
Original post by alow
Work experience is not at all required for a physics course.

But it is good to have right?For personal and CV purposes?
Reply 10
It won't really make a difference to be honest.

As far as Oxford is concerned, you're better off focusing on your GCSEs right now and on the PAT (physics admission test) once you start college.

If you were to do (even as little as two weeks) work experience at any point before writing your personal statement you could dedicate a paragraph to it and expect to be asked about it during your interview (if you get one), however still expect most of your interview questions to be academic.
Reply 11
It won't really make a difference to be honest.

As far as Oxford is concerned, you're better off focusing on your GCSEs right now and on the PAT (physics admission test) once you start college.

If you were to do (even as little as two weeks) work experience at any point before writing your personal statement you could dedicate a paragraph to it and expect to be asked about it during your interview (if you get one), however still expect most of your interview questions to be academic.
Original post by VNN

Not really. I think you get more than enough experience at uni with a subject like theoretical physics.
Original post by VNN

Not really. I think you get more than enough experience at uni for a subject like theoretical physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending