The Student Room Group

Physics?

Hello!

My Main questions is(I shall provide you with a ton of details below the question to help you make a more justified answer):

Should I study physics and subsequently become a physics(irrelevant of branch)?

Ok so some info:

I am v.good at the req subjects and I absolutely love physics!I am considering a career in theoretical physics...
I currently go to a top grammar school and am going my GCSE in the upcoming year(Y11).

My goal is to ultimately do very well in GCSE and A-levels and thus study Physics at Oxford university...I want to study physics undergrad and preferably do a PhD at Oxford univeristy(As PhDs are useful for top physicist careers from what I have read).

My goal after that is to work at CERN or NASA or other reputable major organisation that employ physics(Could you please name a few)..

I also have far fetched goals which I assume all physiatrist have but I doubt they're relevant for this question(cough...Noble prize)

I am predicted A* stats informally by teachers for all science and maths and a bunch of other subjects with As only in English...

Also what A levels should I take?
I was considering physics,Biology,chemistry,maths and further maths...is this a good choice or should I do computing instead of biology?

Also what general guidance would you provide as all information is appreciated?

My current branch considerations include astrophysics/quantum physics/ETC.,

Detailed answers would be of great help!

P.Slease don't hate for some ambitions like going to Oxford and others(I know there are some popped who like to)...Also please can I have sensible answers.

Also additionally my dad is a surgeon and he and my mum and persuading me into a career in surgery....It is not that I'm not interested as I also like medicine but They list all advantage of medicine like pay and respect and regardless I am very confused!?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! It looks like your well on your way to achieving your goal. I can't give you much practical help as I know very little about physics myself but I'm good encouragement wise. Your predicted grades are excellent - there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't study physics. It sounds like it's something you enjoy and you've got the brains to do it, so why not? Your goals are very big but there's nothing wrong with that, just be aware that you will have to WORK like mad to achieve this. However, if you've got the drive and the ambition to do so then it shouldn't be an issue. I've got friends doing A-Levels now who intend to study physics doing physics, chemistry, maths and further maths which seems to be the best mix. I really wouldn't recommend doing anymore than 4 or you'll risk dropping grades on the ones you need (for Oxbridge you'll be looking at A*A*A*) and remember that you only need 3! Apart from that, if you want to get into somewhere like Oxford you'll need other interesting things about yourself such as extracurricular activities (sports, music, clubs etc.) that will make you stand out from the crowd. Consider getting some experience in the work you want (once you've decided) with work experience or equivalent that your school will help you with. Other than that, remember that you're still young and don't need to decide just yet. Keep working hard at school and the rest will fall into place naturally:smile: Good Luck!
Original post by lowza
Hey! It looks like your well on your way to achieving your goal. I can't give you much practical help as I know very little about physics myself but I'm good encouragement wise. Your predicted grades are excellent - there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't study physics. It sounds like it's something you enjoy and you've got the brains to do it, so why not? Your goals are very big but there's nothing wrong with that, just be aware that you will have to WORK like mad to achieve this. However, if you've got the drive and the ambition to do so then it shouldn't be an issue. I've got friends doing A-Levels now who intend to study physics doing physics, chemistry, maths and further maths which seems to be the best mix. I really wouldn't recommend doing anymore than 4 or you'll risk dropping grades on the ones you need (for Oxbridge you'll be looking at A*A*A*) and remember that you only need 3! Apart from that, if you want to get into somewhere like Oxford you'll need other interesting things about yourself such as extracurricular activities (sports, music, clubs etc.) that will make you stand out from the crowd. Consider getting some experience in the work you want (once you've decided) with work experience or equivalent that your school will help you with. Other than that, remember that you're still young and don't need to decide just yet. Keep working hard at school and the rest will fall into place naturally:smile: Good Luck!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Also,In relation to extra curricular,I currently do:

DofE-Done bronze and doing silver...
Piano-Grade 5
Drums-Grade 3
Music theory-Grade 5
Blogging-On physics
Table tennis-County Level
WE-Eventually as I'M only 15 and i have to be 16!

Are the above good and are they enough extra-curricular?
Is there any other useful ones to pursue?
Also,Is there a way to get WE before the age of 16 as physics is a theoretical subject...

Also what about the medicine vs physics dilemma i commented on at the end of the OP,Some advice?Also note my predicted grades are A*'s Not A's(Accidental mistype)...

Finally in relation to WE,I posted a thread(I will paste it below and could you please see if you can help me...)

'
Hello,I am a current GCSE student(going into Y11) and my ambition is to become a theoretical physicist.

My goals is to study physics at oxford...As physics is not a vocational course does it require work experience?

I know friends who want to do medicine and are applying for WE in hospital(They are 16 though)...

Is it recommended to do physics WE for University of oxford)?

If so,Where and how exactly should i do work experience?How long does it last?How much should i have for a top university?

And also,am i old enough for physics WE(I'm 15)...
Finally,am i doing this at a late stage?I have wanted to a physicist for a long time but is V.early Y11 Late/Early for Physics WE in comparison to the majority of people/Normal?

A in-depth answer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
'

THANKS!
May I ask why you are doing 5 A levels? All universities only need 3 or 4 and having 5 would just make your workload a lot which would make things difficult for you. However, you do look on track to do well. Just organise your time and you should be fine. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by VNN
THANKS SO MUCH!!

Also,In relation to extra curricular,I currently do:

DofE-Done bronze and doing silver...
Piano-Grade 5
Drums-Grade 3
Music theory-Grade 5
Blogging-On physics
Table tennis-County Level
WE-Eventually as I'M only 15 and i have to be 16!

Are the above good and are they enough extra-curricular?
Is there any other useful ones to pursue?
Also,Is there a way to get WE before the age of 16 as physics is a theoretical subject...

Also what about the medicine vs physics dilemma i commented on at the end of the OP,Some advice?Also note my predicted grades are A*'s Not A's(Accidental mistype)...

Finally in relation to WE,I posted a thread(I will paste it below and could you please see if you can help me...)

'
Hello,I am a current GCSE student(going into Y11) and my ambition is to become a theoretical physicist.

My goals is to study physics at oxford...As physics is not a vocational course does it require work experience?

I know friends who want to do medicine and are applying for WE in hospital(They are 16 though)...

Is it recommended to do physics WE for University of oxford)?

If so,Where and how exactly should i do work experience?How long does it last?How much should i have for a top university?

And also,am i old enough for physics WE(I'm 15)...
Finally,am i doing this at a late stage?I have wanted to a physicist for a long time but is V.early Y11 Late/Early for Physics WE in comparison to the majority of people/Normal?

A in-depth answer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
'

THANKS!

Oh wow, you do loads! They're all brilliant. I'd just push to get grade 6+ before you have to apply for uni so you can get some extra UCAS points. Work experience wise you'd just need to talk to your school, there's no minimum age requirement to do so, so your age isn't a barrier. I couldn't suggest what to do or where to go though because I know little about physics. Talk to your science teacher about that. You're definitely not doing this too late at all! In fact your far earlier than most. I've known people finish uni and still not know what they want to do in life so you're just fine. It doesn't matter when you do WE, just having it before university is fine. If anything, it would be for your sake, to ensure you definitely want to do it. And on the medicine thing, if you don't want to do it then don't. Clearly physics is your interest and not medicine so don't do something that isn't your passion. Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
May I ask why you are doing 5 A levels? All universities only need 3 or 4 and having 5 would just make your workload a lot which would make things difficult for you. However, you do look on track to do well. Just organise your time and you should be fine. :smile:

Most poeple in my school do 4 but some people who are smart/up to it(Decide for yourself) do 5 thus i am willing to do 5...

Quick Reply

Latest