The Student Room Group

Political correctness kills

This is what you SJW's bring about with your vicious policing and life destroying spite at people who dare to have fun or make jokes that you disagree with

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3762278/Girl-16-took-life-fearing-s-called-racist-picture-darkened-skin-shared-online.html

Girl, 16, took own life after fearing she'd be called a racist after picture of her with darkened skin was shared online

Phoebe Connop edited picture during a private chat with friends online

She had started dating an Asian male but the pair had never met before

She said she would have to look like photo to get approval from his parents

Pal shared the photo out of the chat, prompting Phoebe's fear of backlash

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No she just made a reckless decision by killing herself...
Original post by Trapz99

kewl i guess we can stop trying to prevent bullying and such then seeing as there are no consequences. 10/10 would read again
Reply 3
Wtf? Why tf would u do that
I agree that society is far too PC but this was just a stupid thing to do.
I wonder how old the guy was.
Original post by Trapz99

She was unable to handle the horrific pressures that SJW culture present.
Thus is a pretty laughable attempt by the OP to blame the death of a young girl on 'SJW'. It seems the OP has not read the article because nowhere in it does sit say or suggest that the girl committed suicide because of political correctness.

Nowhere in that article does it say that the reason she killed herself was because she feared being called a racist. It mentions she was worried about the reactions of the Asian community, who like other communities dislike people saying outside the religious or cultural group.

The reasons she committed suicide are at best blurry. There was no note, or explanation, it's pure guesswork. There was no racism towards her nor did people call her racist.

Besides using this logic, if someone committed suicide because they feared that they'd be in trouble at school does that make the school to blame?

It's a tragic story but to try and blame the suicide of a young girl on 'SJW' is pathetic opportunism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
Nowhere in that article does it say that the reason she killed herself was because she feared being called a racist.

It's literally in the title.

There was no racism towards her nor did people call her racist.

There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, who did take the image down at her request, that she was scared of what the reaction might be from the Asian community in her area.

It's heavily implied. I don't know how you came to your conclusion.
Original post by macromicro
It's literally in the title.

It's heavily implied. I don't know how you came to your conclusion.

The evidence is zero. It puts 2 and 2 together and gets 10,000. It says she was worried about what the Asian community might think and that she committed suicide. It provides no link between the two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It says she was worried about what the Asian community might think and that she committed suicide. It provides no link between the two.

I don't think it's much of a leap to presume she was worried the Asian community would think she was being racist for dressing up as an Asian. What else would she be worried about? It seems fairly obvious, though I agree there is no direct evidence, hence why I said it was heavily implied.
I don't think it's much of a leap to presume she was worried the Asian community would think she was being racist for dressing up as an Asian. What else would she be worried about? It seems fairly obvious, though I agree there is no direct evidence, hence why I said it was heavily implied.

It's a bit of a leap to think she'd kill herself over it, though. That's the leap the other poster is referring to.*

This isn't to say that the link wasn't there, but as it stands it's pure (and fairly fanciful) speculation.*
Original post by TurboCretin
It's a bit of a leap to think she'd kill herself over it, though. That's the leap the other poster is referring to.*

This isn't to say that the link wasn't there, but as it stands it's pure (and fairly fanciful) speculation.*

She didn't leave a note so of course it's speculation - by everyone. The parents have said nothing prior was wrong with her and she was completely normal in the weeks leading up to the suicide.

I don't think it is too large or fanciful a leap to presume she was scared of the repercussions of her "racism" which was posted online on Instagram. Perhaps there were other factors at play, but to disregard her fear of backlash as a large one seems disingenuous given the material we have and given the hyper-sensitive ultra-PC environment we are currently in.

I do agree that there is nothing concrete, though there rarely is in shock suicides.
with friends like those who needs enemies
Original post by The_Opinion
I wonder how old the guy was.

28/29 i beleive.. pretty sure i read it in one of the articles
Original post by Mathemagicien
"I think she had more deep rooted problems to commit suicide over that." - Kim Jong Un

Really? Kids take their lives over matters we would deem trivial all the damn time. The backlash of the SJW crowd (ruining careers / shaming people) is far less trivial than many other things that see off teens
Original post by KingBradly
She was unable to handle the horrific pressures that SJW culture present.

So if a Muslim girl killed herself because of mean tweets she got from UKIP- supporters can we blame right wing culture for that? No
[video="youtube;YWRpvWAIV0c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWRpvWAIV0c[/video]

Don't forget the NRA.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Betelgeuse-
This is what you SJW's bring about with your vicious policing and life destroying spite at people who dare to have fun or make jokes that you disagree with

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3762278/Girl-16-took-life-fearing-s-called-racist-picture-darkened-skin-shared-online.html

Girl, 16, took own life after fearing she'd be called a racist after picture of her with darkened skin was shared online

Phoebe Connop edited picture during a private chat with friends online

She had started dating an Asian male but the pair had never met before

She said she would have to look like photo to get approval from his parents

Pal shared the photo out of the chat, prompting Phoebe's fear of backlash

LOL I felt bad for not knowing what an SJW was so I googled it, luckily the Urban dictionary gave me this example:
White straight male: "hi"
SJW: "OMG HOW DARE YOU OPPRESS ME WITH YOUR WHITE MALE GAZE GET AWAY FROM ME YOU PIG! CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!"
White straight male: "All I said was-"
SJW: "STOP HITTING ON ME! STREET HARASSMENT! RAPE CULTURE! STOP RAPING ME!"
White straight male: "What are you talking abou-"
SJW: "WHITE DEVIL STOP RAPING ME YOU ABLEIST PIG!"
Another person: "no use in trying to reason with her, she's an SJW"

Well, now at least I know what one is.
She didn't leave a note so of course it's speculation - by everyone. The parents have said nothing prior was wrong with her and she was completely normal in the weeks leading up to the suicide.

I don't think it is too large or fanciful a leap to presume she was scared of the repercussions of her "racism" which was posted online on Instagram. Perhaps there were other factors at play, but to disregard her fear of backlash as a large one seems disingenuous given the material we have and given the hyper-sensitive ultra-PC environment we are currently in.

I do agree that there is nothing concrete, though there rarely is in shock suicides.

Again, the fanciful thing is the presumption of her killing herself over it, not just fearing it.

As for the evidentiary point, you seem to agree with me. That said, you seem to differ with respect to how reasonable it is to publish one's speculations in a national newspaper. We're talking about suggestions that a young girl committed suicide because she was afraid of repercussions from a racial minority group - that's not harmless conjecture, it's the kind of thing which stirs hate.

Quick Reply

Latest