The Student Room Group

Further maths advice

Should i do Further Maths i was 1 mark off A* at GCSE. I want to do a maths degree and i want to study it at a good university. My 3 A levels i am picking is maths further maths and economics. So should i do it i enjoy maths but i dont know if i will be able to manage the difficulty so im asking people who have done it if i should do it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by homere
Should i do Further Maths i was 1 mark off A* at GCSE. I want to do a maths degree and i want to study it at a good university. My 3 A levels i am picking is maths further maths and economics. So should i do it i enjoy maths but i dont know if i will be able to manage the difficulty so im asking people who have done it if i should do it.

You don't need an A* to do Further Maths. If you like Maths and are willing to put an effort to do a lot of practice, then go for it :tongue:
Yes, I got the exact same as you at GCSE and got an A in AS further maths, it gets quite a bit harder at A2 though.
Reply 3
Original post by kkboyk
You don't need an A* to do Further Maths. If you like Maths and are willing to put an effort to do a lot of practice, then go for it :tongue:

What about in terms of difficulty is it manageable? A lot of people told me its hard and should only do it if you are confident.
Reply 4
Original post by homere

As long as you enjoy maths and are willing to put the effort in, you should be fine. AS further maths isn't much more difficult than normal maths (depending on what modules you choose). Do you know which modules you will be studying for maths and further maths yet?
Reply 5
Original post by solC
As long as you enjoy maths and are willing to put the effort in, you should be fine. AS further maths isn't much more difficult than normal maths (depending on what modules you choose). Do you know which modules you will be studying for maths and further maths yet?

These are the modules we do at my college
http://courses.lutonsfc.ac.uk/Course/Documents/MFU_AS3-1.pdf
use the link it has all the modules we do go to second page
Reply 6
Original post by NotNotBatman
Yes, I got the exact same as you at GCSE and got an A in AS further maths, it gets quite a bit harder at A2 though.

Thats good i just wanted to know if i will be able to handle it
Original post by homere
Definitely choose it as an AS subject. It will be attractive for the good universities that offer a maths degree with high entry requirements. I'm not sure about how they look at 3 subjects taken at AS :s-smilie:. Maybe add either Chemistry or Physics as a fourth option?
Reply 8
Original post by homere
These are the modules we do at my college
http://courses.lutonsfc.ac.uk/Course/Documents/MFU_AS3-1.pdf
use the link it has all the modules we do go to second page

Ah, I did my exams under a different exam board (Edexcel) so i'm not too sure how the content and stuff differs in each module. OCR FP1 looks pretty much the same as Edexcel but seems to have a bit more on complex numbers.
I did similar modules except I did S2 instead of M1, and i didn't find any of them too difficult, so i wouldn't worry about difficulty too much.:smile:.
Reply 9
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Definitely choose it as an AS subject. It will be attractive for the good universities that offer a maths degree with high entry requirements. I'm not sure about how they look at 3 subjects taken at AS :s-smilie:. Maybe add either Chemistry or Physics as a fourth option?

i could replace economics with chemistry but i think it will be too hard thats why i just kept economics. Any advice would be helpful right now thank you
Reply 10
Original post by solC
Ah, I did my exams under a different exam board (Edexcel) so i'm not too sure how the content and stuff differs in each module. OCR FP1 looks pretty much the same as Edexcel but seems to have a bit more on complex numbers.
I did similar modules except I did S2 instead of M1, and i didn't find any of them too difficult, so i wouldn't worry about difficulty too much.:smile:.

Thats good what about my A levels should i replace economics with anything else for better chances at uni for maths degree?
Reply 11
Original post by homere
Thats good what about my A levels should i replace economics with anything else for better chances at uni for maths degree?

Economics is a solid A level for maths so I wouldn't worry about changing as lots of other people applying for maths will be doing those same subjects.
Reply 12
Original post by solC
Economics is a solid A level for maths so I wouldn't worry about changing as lots of other people applying for maths will be doing those same subjects.

Just out of interest how did you revise for your further maths and Maths A levels and also how well did you do?
Physics would probably be better for maths, but no universities require physics, but it would make you look stronger.
I'm doing Maths, further maths, economics and physics, and ill drop the one i find the most difficult if i get less than a B
Original post by homere
Just out of interest how did you revise for your further maths and Maths A levels and also how well did you do?

I know you're not askign me, but revising for marths is pretty simple.
You could use examsolutions/hergartymaths/physics and maths tutor
Go through every topic on your specification using these sites/channels. I would recommend examsolutions because it has the whole spec there for you to watch videos on. As you are going through each topic do a lot of questions on them.
Practice until you can't get a quesrtion wrong
You can also get a text book if you prefer reading and/or answer all the questiions on the topic you're on , on the text book.
After you are familiar with a whole module, do loads of past paper questions and try to be hitting your target eac h time. If you find something hard or you get it wrong, then go back and learn it again, and do like 10 questions or more on it.
Practice practice practice.
Videos, Teacher, Books then questions
Reply 15
Original post by AdeptDz
Physics would probably be better for maths, but no universities require physics, but it would make you look stronger.
I'm doing Maths, further maths, economics and physics, and ill drop the one i find the most difficult if i get less than a B

I didnt do too well in Physics thats why i went with Economics would it ruin my chances to apply to a good university?
Original post by homere
I didnt do too well in Physics thats why i went with Economics would it ruin my chances to apply to a good university?

probably not, given you have at least A* Maths A further maths
Reply 17
Original post by AdeptDz
I know you're not askign me, but revising for marths is pretty simple.
You could use examsolutions/hergartymaths/physics and maths tutor
Go through every topic on your specification using these sites/channels. I would recommend examsolutions because it has the whole spec there for you to watch videos on. As you are going through each topic do a lot of questions on them.
Practice until you can't get a quesrtion wrong
You can also get a text book if you prefer reading and/or answer all the questiions on the topic you're on , on the text book.
After you are familiar with a whole module, do loads of past paper questions and try to be hitting your target eac h time. If you find something hard or you get it wrong, then go back and learn it again, and do like 10 questions or more on it.
Practice practice practice.
Videos, Teacher, Books then questions

Thanks this helped :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by AdeptDz
probably not, given you have at least A* Maths A further maths

Would the good unis look at my GCSE grades i got As and Bs, could this ruin my chances?
Original post by homere
Would the good unis look at my GCSE grades i got As and Bs, could this ruin my chances?

Depends what uni, but just check the entry requirements.
Oxford want A* and As
Cambridge want A* and As but focus less on GCSE grades and more on UMS percentage
UCL want a C in MFL
And most good unis want like Bs and As at GCSE but most don't care given you have amazin a-levels

Quick Reply

Latest