The Student Room Group

HOW MANY hours a day do you study for A levels?

physics,maths , chemistry, history

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do Maths, Physics and Chemistry (also F. Maths), and it isn't that much work, just do the homework set and make sure you don't fall behind, there isn't a magical number of hours per day of revision that can get you the grades you want. Towards exam time start doing past papers and rewriting notes etc
Honestly, while I agree with the guy above you should probably set yourself objectives or you'll procrastinate forever (in my experience). Something like aiming to finish everything by february, then split your courses up and ration out a module per month of revision material or whatever.
Original post by p29
physics,maths , chemistry, history

24 hours per day
Reply 4
Original post by Ze Witcher
24 hours per day

lmao
Actually 25 hours a day. Get in a private plane and travel a set distance around the world corresponding to one hour every day.

Oh wait...you don't have a private plane? Lol rip. :lol:
Original post by Ze Witcher
24 hours per day

Agreed. That's the bare minimum imo.
3 hours a day or 20 hours a week
Reply 8
Original post by JourneyToSuccess
Agreed. That's the bare minimum imo.

what would be the maximum?
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
3 hours a day or 20 hours a week

Really?
Original post by p29
what would be the maximum?

How many hours are in a day again? :lol:
Reply 11
How many hours are in a day again? :lol:

Original post by p29

Well, I guess that would make the maximum 69 hours per day then. But remember you need around 8 hours of sleep, so around 61 hours. :h:
Original post by Juedjegfewo
Really?

Teachers will tell you you need to do 1 hour of revison for every lesson in the week. SO you will have 20 lessons every week so that is 4 hours Mon-Fri or 2h 51m Mon-Sun
Reply 14
Well, I guess that would make the maximum 69 hours per day then. But remember you need around 8 hours of sleep, so around 61 hours. :h:

I'll only get 61/69 hours of study time?!?!?!? Im DOOMED!!!!:frown::frown::frown:

fml
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Teachers will tell you you need to do 1 hour of revison for every lesson in the week. SO you will have 20 lessons every week so that is 4 hours Mon-Fri or 2h 51m Mon-Sun

Christ it seems like a lot to me! Maybe I will be way out of my depth hah :biggrin:
Original post by p29
I'll only get 61/69 hours of study time?!?!?!? Im DOOMED!!!!:frown::frown::frown:

fml

I know... good luck! :s-smilie:
Original post by Juedjegfewo
Christ it seems like a lot to me! Maybe I will be way out of my depth hah :biggrin:

But to be honest most people don't do that anyway. just do your homework and like 1 hour of revision. It will be fine if you start early
Reply 18
As a graduated Bachelors, this would be a good thread for me to share my study experience on.

Here it is:

course: Statistics 101
weeks: 12
hours per class: 2,5
number of hours studied: 132
hours per week studied: 20
number of failed attempts at course: 4 (yes, I flunked this course 4 times, just like in the movie 'Freshman father' )
total number of hours studied for all attempts: ~650
additional resources needed:
- 3 months expert mathematician assistance
- 3 months classmate's help
- 3 months other classmate's help
- ask professor tons of questions about any doubt
- multiple math forums online, multiple online learning platforms such as Khanacademy, Youtube,..
In summary, it took me 5 years to pass this course (and I'm not only one).
ratio average study time on Bell normalization Curve calculated by university / my own time: 100/261
affinity for course: horrible, I suck at math
prior math knowledge: practically none. I know math as much as a toddler knows physics.
final grade: 50%, bare pass

Best of results to everyone!
(edited 7 years ago)
I did Maths, Chemistry, Spanish and an AS in Physics. Got A*AA (* Chem).

I worked mostly 3-8 hours a night, depending. I never had a timetable or schedule as I get stressed out when I'm not on track... Plus I take walks or go for jogs etc if I'm not in the mood. After December when revision starts heating up for me I'd be studying straight until 9 ish every night, Pomodoro style, but obviously eating etc. Some days I would go shopping or whatever and only manage an hour or so but id never feel guilty for taking a day or two off, it's good for you tohave a break

Quick Reply

Latest