The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Should I bother with Oxford (postgrad)

Hi! :smile:

I'm currently studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature at Queen Mary, University of London, which is RG. I'm on course for a 67, and got 63 and 65 in my first and second year respectively, which I know is below par for Oxford. However, in my first year, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised about six times, and in my second year, I had a baby. I still managed to get high 2.1s and firsts in my relevant modules, and even handed in an assignment two days after my son was born (and only asked for an extension for one assignment, which I think shows dedication and an ability to handle a high workload)

I hope to apply for Mst in General Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application?

Thank you :smile:
Bump!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Hi! :smile:

I'm currently studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature at Queen Mary, University of London, which is RG. I'm on course for a 67, and got 63 and 65 in my first and second year respectively, which I know is below par for Oxford. However, in my first year, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised about six times, and in my second year, I had a baby. I still managed to get high 2.1s and firsts in my relevant modules, and even handed in an assignment two days after my son was born (and only asked for an extension for one assignment, which I think shows dedication and an ability to handle a high workload)

I hope to apply for Mst in General Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application?

Thank you :smile:

The people most likely to be able to answer your question are admissions, you're best off contacting the relevant admissions for your course and explaining your situation and seeing what they say about your chances. (Most people on this forum tend to be prospective or current undergrads (including me) so I doubt many people here will have any clue about postgrad anyway!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending