The Student Room Group

Commuting Distances

Hello.

I recently got an apprenticeship offer (with okay pay at 12,000 per year). The problem is that the distance from my house and the apprenticeship is about 50 miles, but mostly highway therefore an hour and 15 minutes of driving there and back.

Is it worth it? I haven't had other offers yet although sent out a lot of applications.

Also, what would be the maximum worthy distance of commuting to and from work on a daily basis?

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Bee03
Hello.

I recently got an apprenticeship offer (with okay pay at 12,000 per year). The problem is that the distance from my house and the apprenticeship is about 50 miles, but mostly highway therefore an hour and 15 minutes of driving there and back.

Is it worth it? I haven't had other offers yet although sent out a lot of applications.

Also, what would be the maximum worthy distance of commuting to and from work on a daily basis?

Thanks for your help.

I commuted a 100 mile round trip for placement, although that was only 6 weeks.

It may help to work out your living costs and an estimate of your cars miles per gallon to have a rough idea how much you'll be spending on petrol (although don't forget other maintenance). I personally found the distance a bit extreme but it's personal preference, I would think the cost may be too high for me to justify it.
Reply 2
Original post by JoeL1994
I commuted a 100 mile round trip for placement, although that was only 6 weeks.

It may help to work out your living costs and an estimate of your cars miles per gallon to have a rough idea how much you'll be spending on petrol (although don't forget other maintenance). I personally found the distance a bit extreme but it's personal preference, I would think the cost may be too high for me to justify it.

Thanks for the reply. How did you feel it affected your income? Changing petrol?
Original post by Bee03
Thanks for the reply. How did you feel it affected your income? Changing petrol?

I'm going to Uni in September as a mature student, however my job which I'm leaving I've had for about 7 months has been a 50 mile commute (100 there and back).

Also been private renting a house with utilities and food shop on top of it all (single occupant), while being payed living wage (15k per year), just about managed it so if your living with parents or don't have to pay utilities and stuff you should be fine.

You should look into getting working tax credit, due to it being worked out on previous years earnings but current years hours, you should get a nice weekly top up on this (£50 a week for me).

To add, I spend about £200 a month on petrol for a 1 litre car, but also pickup my daughter/drop off every week on a 30 mile (60 mile trip).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bee03

I was reimbursed for petrol by the NHS eventually but it was quite a drain on top of using the car for usual runaround things, shopping etc.
Reply 5
that will be draining after a couple of weeks. try and find one closer
That's not a ridiculous travel time. Any commute under 2 hours is reasonable, just be thankful you're driving it, not taking a bus.
Original post by Bee03
Hello.

Thanks for your help.

That should be doable, however if you can do, do a test run during rush hour to see if that lengthens the commute and also to allow you to see what it is like in practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending