The Student Room Group

Workload of 5 AS Levels

I really want to do 5!
I got 9A*'s and an A and GCSE making me highest in my year and I know the top girl from the year before took 5.
If I were to take 5 I would take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and English Literature? What is the workload of these subjects like? I'm prepared to put in the work as I love school and these subjects a lot. I know even if I take 5 I can drop one or two at some point in the year (before January I think school advise) if it gets too much but what do you think of doing 5? I just also think these 5 give me a wide range of subjects which is good considering I don't know what to do at University!
Original post by Lucofthewoods
I really want to do 5!
I got 9A*'s and an A and GCSE making me highest in my year and I know the top girl from the year before took 5.
If I were to take 5 I would take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and English Literature? What is the workload of these subjects like? I'm prepared to put in the work as I love school and these subjects a lot. I know even if I take 5 I can drop one or two at some point in the year (before January I think school advise) if it gets too much but what do you think of doing 5? I just also think these 5 give me a wide range of subjects which is good considering I don't know what to do at University!

Those are all strong subjects with a lot of work so it wouldn't be easy but if you really love them you could start the year with 5 and see how it goes. You can always drop some as the months go past if it's too much work. But just remember 3/4 As is always going to be better than 5 Bs or something, think quality not quantity
The thing is, if you're really good at Spanish (i.e: the language in general, by this I mean actually fluent in the language as opposed to just GCSE good at it) the workload shouldn't be too bad because your main priority would just be staying on top of all the essays you're given to write, making sure you complete all of them and ensuring that your exam skills are really good. However, if you aren't I'd drop one and stick to four- it's better to have AAAA or AAAB then AABBB or even ABBBB. The point is, it's best to focus on doing well in fewer subjects, I think the workload may be a little too much especially as you have Maths, Biology and Chemistry which are all subjects that A* GCSE students have even failed at simply as a result of not having enough time to study all the content etc.
Original post by Lucofthewoods
I really want to do 5!

No.
If you're clever, committed, and prepared to sacrifice a lot of free time and free periods, 5 AS Levels are definitely possible if you wish to do them however it is almost entirely pointless. 4 AS Levels are way more than enough to get into any top university and seeing the choice of subjects you have I hardly think you'd be limiting your choices by dropping any one of them (so long as you don't drop Maths). Have a go if you're genuinely serious at the start of the year and see how you're getting on, remember that it may seem okay at first but everything will get harder as you go on. Your school are right in that around about January you should consider whether you'll do well in your exams and possibly drop one but maybe try making this decision even earlier, perhaps before the winter break. I wish you all the best.
Reply 5
Since you are able to drop them when you choose then I'd totally start with 5 and then see how you get on. However, I'd DEFINITELY advise you to drop at least one before A2. Good luck!
I did 5 and let me tell you right now, it was a waste of time.

Don't do 5.

Ever.
I did 5 but I didn't put enough effort in at AS. I ended up dropping one in A2 but that was more because i hated it rather than struggling.

How much do you like these subjects? They will be quite a bit different from they are at GCSE as well. I wish I'd looked up some questions from the subjects I was taking because they weren't what i expected. You might like English Lit atm but dislike it at A level (the same could apply to science as well).

Oh and like dancepiratedance said, its basically pointless. Most universities don't really care. Some give concessions for 4 but I don't think any do for 5 (probably because almost nobody does 5). Its bragging rights more than anything. If you do really enjoy the subjects though then i guess its fine. I took history as my 4th A level more for fun than anything else.
Go on then do 5, see if you like it which I don't think you will but if you have that determination then go ahead and prove me wrong...

Will it be hard?

Yes, you might also lose focus on the subject that's supposed to be your #1. When people do 3 As Levels they don't expect to do well in all of them, that's just unrealistic but the idea is that you should really shine in your main subject so you know what your good at. The main problem with this plan is that you wont be able to shine in that one subject.

Quick Reply

Latest