The Student Room Group

How can you afford uni if you have so many bills?

This might not be relatable to everyone, especially students going to uni straight from college. But to older students, how can you afford uni and the cost of living?

I've a loan, car insurance, phone, rent etc plus other bills, the course I'm looking at is based over 5 days per week for term one then 4 days after. I could get up to £5158 in maintenance loan. That does nowhere near cover the cost of rent, insurance, phone or travel to an from uni. I can't work full time along side.

Without having to be working or uni 7 days a week, how can you afford uni and life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by l14muk
This might not be relatable to everyone, especially students going to uni straight from college. But to older students, how can you afford uni and the cost of living?

I've a loan, car insurance, phone, rent etc plus other bills, the course I'm looking at is based over 5 days per week for term one then 4 days after. I could get up to £5158 in maintenance loan. That does nowhere near cover the cost of rent, insurance, phone or travel to an from uni. I can't work full time along side.

Without having to be working or uni 7 days a week, how can you afford uni and life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My rent was bills inclusive and came to £240, i then spent about £50 on transport, £100 on food and toiletries.
Can you lower the cost of any of those bills you have? I for example, have a phone contract where I can change my tariff as often as I like during the 2 years.
Reply 3
So one of the bills is about to half. Luckily.
Just going to be so rough going from £1,600 per month to £570~ per month.

I am currently looking at every possibility to reduce my outgoings ready. But these 3/4 years is gonna be pretty tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
seems like a silly question.

How can I live if I want to keep my current spending, whilst earning a third of what I currently earn?

--

Pretty sure you know the only good answers:

Earn more or spend less.

That said there are other not-so-good answers such as borrowing money..

--

Are you going to study full time or part time? Family members of mine have worked a nice balance of part time study, and part time work, coupled with loans/other means to get through.
Do you really need a car or is public transport cheaper?
Reply 6
Original post by fallen_acorns
seems like a silly question.

How can I live if I want to keep my current spending, whilst earning a third of what I currently earn?

--

Pretty sure you know the only good answers:

Earn more or spend less.

That said there are other not-so-good answers such as borrowing money..

--

Are you going to study full time or part time? Family members of mine have worked a nice balance of part time study, and part time work, coupled with loans/other means to get through.

Well obviously I know spending is gonna have to come down, but that isn't an excuse to pay less rent or bills 😂

I just need to get creative with my time. I've been considering OU but you can't get a maintenance loan while studying at the OU, which sucks because I'd be studying full time, a degree in 3 years just like at a brick uni.

I have a friend that is just going into second year of the course I was interested in at a brick uni, and his time table was 5 days per week, eventually dropping to 4 full days. Can't work full time alongside that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you really need a car or is public transport cheaper?

If I used public transport to uni I'd need to get a train season ticket and buss pass. The train ticket is £900 for 9 months, (I know railcard can bring that down) plus a buss pass. Plus I live in a forest so everything is too close, over a mile from the nearest train station. And then I'd have to get to work as well.

A car really is my only option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by l14muk
If I used public transport to uni I'd need to get a train season ticket and buss pass. The train ticket is £900 for 9 months, (I know railcard can bring that down) plus a buss pass. Plus I live in a forest so everything is too close, over a mile from the nearest train station. And then I'd have to get to work as well.

A car really is my only option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Break down your current finances for us. Also which county are your house and university in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending