The Student Room Group

I get the impression this site is very left wing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
Do as I say, not as I do.

Right?
Reply 101
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You spend other people's money whenever you walk on a flipping road.

Oh how misinformed of me
Original post by Reue
Oh how misinformed of me

You can't see the wood for the trees.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You spend other people's money whenever you walk on a flipping road.

Isn't paying taxes supposed to cover this?
I get the impression that this site is full of extremely right wing guys, a bit like Reddit. The girls seem much more left wing
Reply 105
Original post by RobML
Where's the hypocrisy, sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the government can't run your life for you, that has to extend to your finances too. The only reason to oppose that is that you personally stand to benefit from government strong-arming people out of their own legitimately-held money.
Original post by jape
If the government can't run your life for you, that has to extend to your finances too. The only reason to oppose that is that you personally stand to benefit from government strong-arming people out of their own legitimately-held money.

How are the two things the same? Not running your life = not taking taxes?
And a government that does neither, is not a government...
Original post by drowzee
I get the impression that this site is full of extremely right wing guys, a bit like Reddit. The girls seem much more left wing

I think that's very true - it's noticeable to me that many more guys who post regularly are on the right than are women.

I suspect though that in the general student population, the left beats the right fairly significantly. The reality is that a good percentage of the regular political posters on TSR are not demonstrably anything to do with student or university life - a few giveaways in their posts, including language, style, things referred to, etc, tend to give them away as bored 50-something Kippers and hate-peddlers trying to harass the young into political submission or total personality collapse. There are loads of posters like this on TSR. Partly because they convince themselves that moderation is weak here, although I don't think that's true in the long run.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think that's very true - it's noticeable to me that many more guys who post regularly are on the right than are women.

I suspect though that in the general student population, the left beats the right fairly significantly. The reality is that a good percentage of the regular political posters on TSR are not demonstrably anything to do with student or university life - a few giveaways in their posts, including language, style, things referred to, etc, tend to give them away as bored 50-something Kippers and hate-peddlers trying to harass the young into political submission or total personality collapse. There are loads of posters like this on TSR. Partly because they convince themselves that moderation is weak here, although I don't think that's true in the long run.

That may be because nowadays women are more left wing than men in general.
rly? They'd ban you for saying "I read XY news outlet?"

I'm new here so forgive me if this is obvious hyperbole but I've heard nothing but bad things about these mods.
nah not everyone
The younger people are, the more left-wing they tend to be. It's why your granddad makes racist remarks and babies are communists.
It's 2016 and we're seriously still talking in terms of left/right wing!! Common sense matters much more than political stubbornness.
What are you on about? This is a really centrist site.
The problem is that that "lens of reality" is quite tinted, isn't it?And "objective fact" is more like "subjective fact".

And I personally despise Milo. He is no doubt clever and great at debating. But far too often he is intellectually dishonest to push his agenda. You can't respect someone like that...
Original post by james813
It's 2016 and we're seriously still talking in terms of left/right wing!! Common sense matters much more than political stubbornness.

Common sense is a lot more subjective than some people seem to think. Some people think communism is common sense.
Original post by inhuman
The problem is that that "lens of reality" is quite tinted, isn't it?And "objective fact" is more like "subjective fact".

And I personally despise Milo. He is no doubt clever and great at debating. But far too often he is intellectually dishonest to push his agenda. You can't respect someone like that...

I am not sure that I would call it "subjective fact". The facts they cite are often true. However, it's their interpretation of that data is what differentiates people.

For instance, with Black people getting arrested in America disproportionately. One person could say it was racism, somebody else could say it is because black people commit more crime.
Because TSR is full of cucks who genuinely can't understand that people have different opinions to them and can't accept objective FACTS.
Saying things like "I must be the only racist whose sucked on a black ****" is an unpopular opinion? No, it is a ******** headline grabbing phrase that has no basis in "raw data".

You know, I get a lot **** said to me because I personally disagree with the Islamic ideology. I am by no means some liberal cuck. But from my point of view, anyone who would go to the alt-right could not possibly be objective at all.
It's also full of people who think that the Guardian is a more credible source than Breitbart, and that if MPs reversed the brexit decision, it would be honourable and democratic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending