The Student Room Group

HOW MANY hours a day do you study for A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 1010marina
I did Maths, Chemistry, Spanish and an AS in Physics. Got A*AA (* Chem).

I worked mostly 3-8 hours a night, depending. I never had a timetable or schedule as I get stressed out when I'm not on track... Plus I take walks or go for jogs etc if I'm not in the mood. After December when revision starts heating up for me I'd be studying straight until 9 ish every night, Pomodoro style, but obviously eating etc. Some days I would go shopping or whatever and only manage an hour or so but id never feel guilty for taking a day or two off, it's good for you tohave a break

tomato, thanks

I worked mostly 3-8 hours a night, depending. I never had a timetable or schedule as I get stressed out when I'm not on track... Plus I take walks or go for jogs etc if I'm not in the mood. After December when revision starts heating up for me I'd be studying straight until 9 ish every night, Pomodoro style, but obviously eating etc. Some days I would go shopping or whatever and only manage an hour or so but id never feel guilty for taking a day or two off, it's good for you tohave a break

How hard is chemistry? I got an A*, full UMS at GCSE and found it okay but I've looked at the AS spec and it does look quite challenging..how did you find it and how did you begin to prep for the exams?
Reply 22
come January I didn't stop revising in the evenings until about 8pm
Reply 23
Original post by LoofMan
come January I didn't stop revising in the evenings until about 8pm

what time did u get home?
Reply 24
probably like 3:30pm
Original post by p29
physics,maths , chemistry, history

I usually did 4 hours a day, possibly 6 if I had an exam coming up.
Reply 26
Original post by Dapperblook22
I usually did 4 hours a day, possibly 6 if I had an exam coming up.

what was the average grade you got?
Original post by p29
what was the average grade you got?

I ended up with A*A*A, in Maths, Computing and ICT respectively.
Reply 28
I kept track of progress by how much content for each subject I went through every day.
But for me it would range from 3-4 hours during weekdays. 4-6 hours during weekends.
But study leave was a different story lmao. I remember the day before my AS physics unit 2 exam, I think I did 8 hours of past papers because I left them so late (don't do this btw trust me)
Still got an A so worked out in the end I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jazz_xox_
How hard is chemistry? I got an A*, full UMS at GCSE and found it okay but I've looked at the AS spec and it does look quite challenging..how did you find it and how did you begin to prep for the exams?

I got a high A* at GCSE so along the same lines I guess... I did AQA spec for both.

I got the cgp head start to a level chemistry book, it was useful for the first couple of weeks but to be honest id just recommend the cgp student book for AS chemistry. It's around £15 and it's the best out there. My school uses Nelson thornes and they're VERY derailed but they're rub ish at explaining anything, so they're useful but not until you know the content solidly. There's also a book called calculations in a level chemistry (it's more expensive though I think) and if you don't do maths I'd definitely recommend it.

AS chemistry was hard for me because I'd not done chemistry since the start of year 10 (I sat it early in year 9 thanks to the weird way my school did exams). But aside from that the content is fine, just be aware than unit 1 and 2 are weighted differently. The trends you just need to learn off by heart (for this I personally use mind palaces/method of loci but rote is fine). The organic section will introduce you to reaction mechanisms (this is just the way electrons are transferred in reactions drawn with ridiculous arrows). They're hard to get your head around and memorise but once you do, you won't remember why you struggled.

Flashcards are definitely useful; I use AnkiDroid, Memrise, Quizlet for online ones. If you're on AQA spec use them to learn your definitions - the exam papers are pinickity about your exact wording.

I use an app called Forest to keep me on track and not distracted by using my phone... It's really motivating too! There's a guy on YouTube called E rintoul, he does chemistry videos that are alright. There's a website called a level chemistry that has notes too, useful for highlighting...

My revision most days consisted of making notes from the cgp book and then doing the summary questions from that page, until I literally knew that book. It was my favourite resource. Nearer exam time I started working through exam papers too.

Look out for RSC chemistry revision days too.

Sorry this was a bit rambling and all over the place, hope I helped ^^ if you ever need help don't hesitate to send a message (:

8 hours a night? Straight until 9? ****.
Reply 31
Omg, Kyle, liek, lvl 3, gained some new hitpoints n stuf.
I got a high A* at GCSE so along the same lines I guess... I did AQA spec for both.

I got the cgp head start to a level chemistry book, it was useful for the first couple of weeks but to be honest id just recommend the cgp student book for AS chemistry. It's around £15 and it's the best out there. My school uses Nelson thornes and they're VERY derailed but they're rub ish at explaining anything, so they're useful but not until you know the content solidly. There's also a book called calculations in a level chemistry (it's more expensive though I think) and if you don't do maths I'd definitely recommend it.

AS chemistry was hard for me because I'd not done chemistry since the start of year 10 (I sat it early in year 9 thanks to the weird way my school did exams). But aside from that the content is fine, just be aware than unit 1 and 2 are weighted differently. The trends you just need to learn off by heart (for this I personally use mind palaces/method of loci but rote is fine). The organic section will introduce you to reaction mechanisms (this is just the way electrons are transferred in reactions drawn with ridiculous arrows). They're hard to get your head around and memorise but once you do, you won't remember why you struggled.

Flashcards are definitely useful; I use AnkiDroid, Memrise, Quizlet for online ones. If you're on AQA spec use them to learn your definitions - the exam papers are pinickity about your exact wording.

I use an app called Forest to keep me on track and not distracted by using my phone... It's really motivating too! There's a guy on YouTube called E rintoul, he does chemistry videos that are alright. There's a website called a level chemistry that has notes too, useful for highlighting...

My revision most days consisted of making notes from the cgp book and then doing the summary questions from that page, until I literally knew that book. It was my favourite resource. Nearer exam time I started working through exam papers too.

Sorry this was a bit rambling and all over the place, hope I helped ^^ if you ever need help don't hesitate to send a message (:

Thank you SO much that has helped a lot!! :smile:
I was actually thinking about ordering the 'bridging the gap' CGP books which I think are the ones you're talking about for chemistry, and also biology and maths. I'm of course willing to buy the main text books but I think my school sell these so I will wait.. do you think the head start books are worth it if I will soon have the main books as well?

Yeah I am on AQA so will be sure to learn definitions etc and I will also try that app. I'm sure my revision will be mostly like yours, for GCSE I kew the CGP books inside out- they are the best. what are the RSC revision days I haven't heard of them? Thanks again :smile:

Can I just ask what you got at AS level? your revision plan sounds like you will have done very well :smile:
Reply 34
Just stay consistent, revise daily and you won't have to do the insane amounts of hours I'm seeing in this thread

1-2 hours is enough [DAILY]

gheeze
Well i dont have a definitive answer but my course sheet says 145 hours a year so probably 220 in total with revision?
Reply 36

thank you for the detailed response:smile:
Thank you SO much that has helped a lot!! :smile:
I was actually thinking about ordering the 'bridging the gap' CGP books which I think are the ones you're talking about for chemistry, and also biology and maths. I'm of course willing to buy the main text books but I think my school sell these so I will wait.. do you think the head start books are worth it if I will soon have the main books as well?

Yeah I am on AQA so will be sure to learn definitions etc and I will also try that app. I'm sure my revision will be mostly like yours, for GCSE I kew the CGP books inside out- they are the best. what are the RSC revision days I haven't heard of them? Thanks again :smile:

Hey sorry for the late reply!

I'd just stick with the main CGP books, it's fab if you can get them via school too! The RSC days are just revision days organised by the rsc at different universities around the country, have a look on their website. Theyre only near exam time but you can sign up to their A level club thing and they email you occasionally with different events etc. It doesn't really matter if you don't but I found a few of them useful
Reply 38
Depends on the time of year, for the first two months maybe 8-9 hours a day (4-5 of those hours would be at school), then I did probably like 7-8 hours a day (4-5 of those at school) until Feburary, then from February half-term till the end like 10-12 hours a day, consistently 12 hours from April.

Ended with A*A*A* in Maths, f. Maths and physics. And B in my fourth A-level of chemistry but that didn't really mean anything.
Can I just ask what you got at AS level? your revision plan sounds like you will have done very well :smile:

Actually probably not as well as you'd expect... I got AAAB at AS (B in physics, As in maths Chem and Spanish) and A*AA overall A level (* Chem, As maths and Spanish).

Tbh I had awful teachers for chemistry, at AS I just scraped that A - got a high A in unit one and a VERY low B in unit 2 (saved by my ISA)... Resat unit 2 and had a very good year at A2 for chemistry.

Not sure if you're interested in the other two but I got 94, 95, 86 at AS for maths (with stats) and then ABC at A2 (A decision... Trig and integration were the death of me). Spanish was a high A at AS and two Bs at A2, which was a bit disappointing because I was hoping for an A*. But by far my favourite! :wink:

I don't know what kind of school you go to but mine was awful and I got lower offers from the unis I applied to because of this - you might be able to take advantage? A lot of unis also do access schemes if youre from a poorer area, dont have foot in higher education or live close by. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol all drop their offers 2 grades for students that meet their criteria - definitely look into it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest