The Student Room Group

Met this guy at an internship...

I need advice guys. My heads all over the place..
Basically, during the Spring, I managed to get onto a spring internship. I best say it now, I'm a muslim girl but I'm quite 'liberal'- I don't wear the hijab and I don't dress very 'conservatively' but I am a very spiritual person. My mum is quite religious-she prays 5 times a day, wears hijab etc.

Anyways on this internship we obviously had to speak to all of the other interns. One of the guys was really good looking and he had his head screwed on in the sense that he was very motivated and he knew a lot more about the financial markets then the rest of us interns. At lunch he would sit next to me and he was just making more of an effort to talk to me. During the first week we got kinda close and some of the other interns began making little jokey comments. He then invited me out for a meal- just me and him over the weekend. Long story short he tried to kiss me and I pulled back (felt like it was waaay too soon to be kissing him). It got very awkward. He stopped sitting next to me at lunch. And he would generally just limit his interaction with me. I eventually lost it and asked him what his problem was and he said he doesn't like girls who lead him on.

The second week of the internship went by awkwardly and we just parted ways. But yesterday, it was my friends bday and to celebrate we all went to nobu. AND HE WAS THERE. He approached me with a hug and asked me how I was. All of my friends thought he was cute and tbf so do I. He texted me an hour ago asking how long I was in london for and idk what to do?

On the one hand I really like him but on the other hand we're from two different worlds. I'm a muslim who comes from a working class background and attends a russell group uni and he goes to cambridge and I'm pretty sure he was privately educated. Plus his behaviour over the whole kissing saga did put me off him slightly but my friends were like he was just embarrassed. What do I do??:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Surely you can just consult Allah. Get your phone and leave Him a voice message. He should get back to you in a couple of hours depending on His schedule.
If you like him, then go for it. But you'll obviously have to explain to him that you'll want to take things very slowly if he does ask you out.
Reply 3
He's probably happy to see you after a few months. I wouldn't read too much into it. You already pulled away once and he saw it as a sign of disinterest. I would imagine by now he's into other girls. It's best not to pursue it unless he makes further moves. Chances like that come and go, yo.
Fact of the matter it's not unusual to kiss on a first date, and that's what it was, a first date. He invited you out to dinner and if you agree to go with him you can expect him to make a move for a kiss if it's gone well. I can see why he may think you're leading him on but maybe you can just talk to him and explain that generally you like to take things slower and see how he responds to that.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, during the Spring, I managed to get onto a spring internship. I best say it now, I'm a muslim girl but I'm quite 'liberal'- I don't wear the hijab and I don't dress very 'conservatively' but I am a very spiritual person. My mum is quite religious-she prays 5 times a day, wears hijab etc.

Anyways on this internship we obviously had to speak to all of the other interns. One of the guys was really good looking and he had his head screwed on in the sense that he was very motivated and he knew a lot more about the financial markets then the rest of us interns. At lunch he would sit next to me and he was just making more of an effort to talk to me. During the first week we got kinda close and some of the other interns began making little jokey comments. He then invited me out for a meal- just me and him over the weekend. Long story short he tried to kiss me and I pulled back (felt like it was waaay too soon to be kissing him). It got very awkward. He stopped sitting next to me at lunch. And he would generally just limit his interaction with me. I eventually lost it and asked him what his problem was and he said he doesn't like girls who lead him on.

The second week of the internship went by awkwardly and we just parted ways. But yesterday, it was my friends bday and to celebrate we all went to nobu. AND HE WAS THERE. He approached me with a hug and asked me how I was. All of my friends thought he was cute and tbf so do I. He texted me an hour ago asking how long I was in london for and idk what to do?

On the one hand I really like him but on the other hand we're from two different worlds. I'm a muslim who comes from a working class background and attends a russell group uni and he goes to cambridge and I'm pretty sure he was privately educated. Plus his behaviour over the whole kissing saga did put me off him slightly but my friends were like he was just embarrassed. What do I do??:frown:

I suppose just explaining the first, second and fourth paragraphs of your first post to him would be.... well actually, it would seem perfectly reasonable to me. You've got a very reasonable explanation as you why you behaved as you did, and you understand now how it might have looked from his perspective, you understand why his perspective might be different to yours - but does he know any of this?

Have you got any evidence to suggest that if he knew what you've just said he's going to run away screaming? Or might he be perfectly accepting and understanding of what happened?

If you explain your knowledge and perspective to him and he does run away screaming (highly unlikely I think) will you be any worse off?

If he understands, will you be any better off?
Reply 6
Original post by █▓▒░│۞│░▒▓█
Surely you can just consult Allah. Get your phone and leave Him a voice message. He should get back to you in a couple of hours depending on His schedule.

Take your bigoted views elsewhere
Reply 7
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
If you like him, then go for it. But you'll obviously have to explain to him that you'll want to take things very slowly if he does ask you out.

I do like him but at times I feel inferior to him if ygm? Like when we went to the restaurant he was like 'oh I'm guessing you've never been here before' (it was a fancy restaurant) and then recommended me a starter. But my friends said I'm reading too much into it.

Original post by AndrewSCO
Fact of the matter it's not unusual to kiss on a first date, and that's what it was, a first date. He invited you out to dinner and if you agree to go with him you can expect him to make a move for a kiss if it's gone well. I can see why he may think you're leading him on but maybe you can just talk to him and explain that generally you like to take things slower and see how he responds to that.

He didn't explicitly say it was a date though. It just took me by suprise so I pulled back but we're meeting up tonight again so we'll see how it goes.
I do like him but at times I feel inferior to him if ygm? Like when we went to the restaurant he was like 'oh I'm guessing you've never been here before' (it was a fancy restaurant) and then recommended me a starter. But my friends said I'm reading too much into it.

He didn't explicitly say it was a date though. It just took me by suprise so I pulled back but we're meeting up tonight again so we'll see how it goes.

I don't think you need to explicitly say it tbh. He came up to you and started chatting to you, you got close and he invited you to dinner, it's pretty safe to say it was a date.

Also, if it's just the two of you tonight, I'd go in with the same mindset for this too. If it happens again you need to explain to him you like to take things slower and see if he's okay with that.
Reply 9
I'm fully aware you're attracted to his social status and probably future financial security buit...

Get over it, damn.

Do you want to be ****ed and never spoken to again? Because that's what will happen.

I usually don't care but in your case you're pissing me off more than normal....maybe its because a snotty Cambridge guy thinks he's got game.

I think he is looking for a bit a fun and you're not interested in a hookup. If you are not in London for long and probably wont see him again is there any point? If you do meet him make it clear beforehand what you are looking for so you are both on the same page cause like i said he might just want a hookup. Yes his behaviour made it awkward but he might have been embarrassed and has now calmed down if he cared about you he might not want to lose you from his life but the only way you will know is to talk to him.
Though threeports advice was pretty good. Only you know what his reaction was like and whether it freaked you out. You dont know him yet.
No harm in giving it a go or at least talking to him. See what his repsonse is and whether he is able to handle it.
hmm how old are you both?

My personal advice: forget about him, because your mind is taking control of your heart. You're succumbing to temptations which are natural but disastrous at your age, you seem like you care about work/studies etc. and my advice is to focus on them, once you've accomplished them, then seek for men/relationships or actually, don't even try, they'll come along at some point. Guys come and go at this age, when you're older (late 20s), then take them seriously because until then, all they want is a bit of fun.

Alternative advice: Tell the guy exactly what you mean, say you want it slow and isn't sure. If he's worthy enough, he'll appreciate it and go with that, if not, he'll effortlessly GTFO of your life... clearing your guilts as he goes, because you will no longer be thinking 'what if I told him' anymore.
Well, I thought I might as well keep you guys updated. We met up in some fancy restaurant and at first he was making small talk about uni etc. Then he became flirty, telling me how stunning I looked. I told him I just wanted to meet up as friends so he laughed and changed the subject. Towards the end of the night, he put his hand on my thigh, I told him no. He then became all offended. I asked for the bill, paid my half and left. Suffice to say he was looking for a booty call and I will never talk to that ****** again
Reply 15
Well, I thought I might as well keep you guys updated. We met up in some fancy restaurant and at first he was making small talk about uni etc. Then he became flirty, telling me how stunning I looked. I told him I just wanted to meet up as friends so he laughed and changed the subject. Towards the end of the night, he put his hand on my thigh, I told him no. He then became all offended. I asked for the bill, paid my half and left. Suffice to say he was looking for a booty call and I will never talk to that ****** again

Well obviously.

Look at what I said on page one. People think i'm here to troll and offend.

I am not.
(edited 7 years ago)

why did you tell him you were meeting up as friends when you like/d him? :s-smilie:

and surely that was a bit of an over reaction, did you straight up tell him no as soon as he started touching your thigh?
Original post by abcde3237
why did you tell him you were meeting up as friends when you like/d him? :s-smilie:

and surely that was a bit of an over reaction, did you straight up tell him no as soon as he started touching your thigh?

I didn't want to be a booty call. So I said friends (considering I don't really know the guy) to get to know him a bit better.
And the no came out a bit aggressively :/ I said 'what are you doing? no' And he pulled a face a said wow is that how it is

''Long story short he tried to kiss me and I pulled back

I think most guys would feel pretty awkward after this..
I didn't want to be a booty call. So I said friends (considering I don't really know the guy) to get to know him a bit better.
And the no came out a bit aggressively :/ I said 'what are you doing? no' And he pulled a face a said wow is that how it is

ohh i see, sounds a bit awks ngl

are you quite young? it seems like you were a bit unsure of where you want (or wanted ) to go with this guy :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending