The Student Room Group

A Levels: Further Maths or Physics?

So I've just finished my GCSEs and I've already chosen Chemistry, Computer Science and Maths as three of my four A Levels, but I'm wondering if picking FT Maths will limit my options later down the line and if Physics would add anything to the careers I'm thinking of.

I managed to get an A* in Maths and an A in Further Maths (AQA's level 2 one) at GCSE, so I think I can cope with FT Maths, and while it'd be nice to say I did such a seemingly difficult subject, would it benefit me that much in the future? I also got an A* in both Physics part of my Additional and Further Additional Science GCSEs so I can probably handle A Level Physics too.

I'm thinking of going down the Masters/PhD route (though I'll probably stop at Masters since my parents have both said PhDs = lecturers in general) and I think I might want to do a degree in something related to Maths, Computer Science, the normal Sciences or Natural Science.

I don't really know what specific degree/career I want to pursue, but I know that it needs to be in business, science or computing because those three fields are the ones that interest me and that I can see larger earning potential in.

So, to summarise:
What are the costs/benefits of FT Maths? Does it limit my scope ot will it help me with a sciency/computery degree?
Would Physics give me more room to maneuvure and would it actually be better for a sciency/computery degree?

Sorry this is a bit long-winded, but I want to learn as much as I can about the advs and disadvs of both subjects before I start my A Levels on Monday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
If you're interested in pursuing maths as a career, or want to go to a top university to do maths then I'd definitely recommend taking further maths. It's not a requirement for most unis but I've been told that if you go on to doing a mathematics degree without further maths then the jump from qualification is really hard.

However, if physics interests you as a career then take physics. However, I've also heard that you shouldn't take physics without taking further maths which makes things a little difficult for you!

If it were me I'd take further maths in your situation. With the other three, you've got the A-Levels you need to do Computer Science so it doesn't really matter what you do as a fourth really! Do what you enjoy:smile:
Original post by Retrospectre
x

If you want to study maths/computer science then FM would be better imo. Even if you decided to study Natural Sciences FM would be just as useful as physics I'd imagine

plus FM is miles more enjoyable :wink:
Original post by lowza
If you're interested in pursuing maths as a career

When you say maths as a career, what do you actually mean? I can't really think of any "maths carers" other than, well, uni mathematicians...

Do what you enjoy

Easier said than done! I'd love to do all 5 subjects though I probably wouldn't be able to... I just need to figure out my future career!!!
Reply 4
Well the top unis would prefer FM for computer science, but if you want to do something like mechanical engineering or something like EEE, then you will need physics. For natsci, choose either. Why not FM, maths, physics and chem instead of computer science?
Original post by drowzee
Well the top unis would prefer FM for computer science, but if you want to do something like mechanical engineering or something like EEE, then you will need physics. For natsci, choose either. Why not FM, maths, physics and chem instead of computer science?

I really love computer science, but I like all the other subjects just as much :frown: I guess if I wanted to do CompSci at uni I'd do both maths, physics and computer science, and for NatSci I'd do either both maths and both sciences as you suggested or one maths, both sciences and computer science... But then, Cambridge's NatSci course offers a CompSci module in the first year and CompSci offers and NatSci module, so I guess for NatSci I'd probably do what you said and do that CompSci module or for the CompSci course I'd do both maths, physics and computer science...... AHH this is so difficult and I've only got till Friday to decide!!
Original post by DylanJ42
If you want to study maths/computer science then FM would be better imo. Even if you decided to study Natural Sciences FM would be just as useful as physics I'd imagine

plus FM is miles more enjoyable :wink:

It seems like FM would be easier to manage since I'd ony really be doing 3 subjects, but that might be naive :P
Original post by Retrospectre
It seems like FM would be easier to manage since I'd ony really be doing 3 subjects, but that might be naive :P

well further maths will help will maths and vise versa, if you like maths I'd go for FM over physics

although if it was me choosing id do maths, FM, physics and CS and consider not doing chemistry, that's another possibly to think about
Original post by DylanJ42
well further maths will help will maths and vise versa, if you like maths I'd go for FM over physics

although if it was me choosing id do maths, FM, physics and CS and consider not doing chemistry, that's another possibly to think about

Yeah, I'd thought of that. Luckily though, my Sixth Form staff were nice enough to let me do all five subjects for a month so that I can make a more educated decision - hopefully I'll be able to do just that!
(edited 7 years ago)
to be honest, you'll be able to get onto a lot of great compsci undergraduate programs with maths/fm/physics (Cambridge for example)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending