The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hi Will,

Did you find it difficult to share the bathroom in Dawson hall. Also how is the hall in general, is it modern? Clean?

Thanks
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Hi Will is the only choice for accomodation Dawson or Floyer's so we don't have a choice to live in mile end accomodation
Original post by yaplonker
Hi Will is the only choice for accomodation Dawson or Floyer's so we don't have a choice to live in mile end accomodation

Yep if you're a Med or Dent student.
Hi Will,

I am an international student. Do you know how many places for oversea students in medicine? Are all the international applications assessed separately and so the competition is higher than home / EU applications? What is the min tariff points for oversea students to get an offer?
Hi, i am currently studying adult nursing and applying for medicine in october to start in 2017
the entry reuqirments state for my degree i do not need AS chemistry or biology to back up my application, does that mean my degree (predicted 1st) will be enough? and will not need to look at my a levels? (i did rubbish)

also what are the ukcat cut off like?
Original post by gagandeep07
Hey
I am planning to apply for 2017 entry A100 Medicine at Barts.
My stats are:
- GCSEs: 8A*s, 2 Distinction*s and 2 As
- As level: A in maths (96 ums average); other subjects are under new linear specification
- A2 predictions: hopefully A*A*A* and A/A* in EPQ
- UKCAT: 670 average

Would you say this is enough to get an interview at Barts?

Thanks in advance

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

Those stats are more impressive than mine were and I (obviously) got a place! There are other factors that are taken into consideration such as the personal statement but you stand a very good chance.

Let me know if you've got any further questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by 7me7
Hi Will,

I was looking over the events for QM welcome week and the timetable for medical students and I saw that quite a few of the events clash with lectures. Is there any way to get around this apart from missing lectures; can the events be rearranged by the uni?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to timetable the welcome events so that every student can attend them all. The most important events for Barts students are held at the Whitechapel campus and therefore are scheduled around the medicine timetable. For example, Mummies and Daddies and the Freshers' Fair.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Honeyx
Hi, do you know if QM's accepts A-level retakes for students applying to biomedical sciences? tried emailing but get no reply.
Thank you for your help

Hi there, thanks for the question.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about admissions for other subjects. They are probably experiencing a high volume of enquires at the moment so the best way to get an answer would be to ring the admissions department.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Barts love,
Will
Reply 188
Original post by Queen Mary University of London

Unfortunately, it's impossible to timetable the welcome events so that every student can attend them all. The most important events for Barts students are held at the Whitechapel campus and therefore are scheduled around the medicine timetable. For example, Mummies and Daddies and the Freshers' Fair.

Barts love,
Will

I guess I'll have to miss out on the campus treasure hunt then :'( although I'm sure the medic events will be fantastic! Thanks for your help and see you in September! :smile:
Original post by Kraytz
Is a UKCAT score of 676 competitive enough for Barts? Thank you

Hi there, thanks for the question.

That is very similar to the UKCAT score that I achieved actually. However, the value of each score varies year on year. That said, you would still stand a very good chance if your grades and personal statement are up to scratch.

Let me know if you've got any more questions.

Barts love,
Will
Hi! My name is Will and I am currently a third year undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will

Hi Will,
I'm starting my A-Levels next year and I am keen on applying to Barts but the problem is that I'm not sure if my GCSE grades r good enough. I've got 4A*s, 3As, 2Bs and a C with A*s in maths, bio, chem, English language. I also got an A in physics. Do you think these grades r good enough to apply to Barts?
Original post by Gogregg
Hi Will,

I'm just wondering, is there some sort of bike sale at all at the beginning of the year? I think if I do apply and get in, I'd like to be able to cycle to and from the accommodation, so I was wondering if the university offered that, so I didn't have to specially buy an expensive new bike :smile:

Cheers!

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

It sounds like a great idea but I'm not sure QMUL offer a bike sale. I bought a bike when I came to University but that was through eBay. It was actually very easy and I got a pretty great deal and didn't even have to spend £100. I've used it every day for over 2 years and it's still in working order.

If you'd like more advice on cycling whilst at University then check our QMUL sustainability website: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/about/sustainability/campus/transport/Cycling./166430.html or tweet them if you want to know more: https://twitter.com/QMSustain You should even suggest the bike sale - it's a good idea!

Let me know if you've got any more questions!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by 7me7
I guess I'll have to miss out on the campus treasure hunt then :'( although I'm sure the medic events will be fantastic! Thanks for your help and see you in September! :smile:

Hi there,

That's hilarious - I didn't know that existed but it sounds great.

See you in September!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by qwerty0301
Hi Will,
I'm starting my A-Levels next year and I am keen on applying to Barts but the problem is that I'm not sure if my GCSE grades r good enough. I've got 4A*s, 3As, 2Bs and a C with A*s in maths, bio, chem, English language. I also got an A in physics. Do you think these grades r good enough to apply to Barts?

You've certainly got A*s in the right subjects and your overall grades may be good enough in my opinion. However, this depends on what else you can offer in terms of your personal statement, your medical experience and your UCKAT.

If I were you, I'd be looking at getting a good portfolio of work experience and volunteering together to strengthen your application. It also goes without saying that your predicted grades for A-level will be very important so make sure you work hard this year!

Best of luck with the future.

Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi! My name is Will and I am currently a third year undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will

Hi, i am currently studying adult nursing and applying for medicine in october to start in 2017
the entry reuqirments state for my degree i do not need AS chemistry or biology to back up my application, does that mean my degree (predicted 1st) will be enough? and will not need to look at my a levels? (i did rubbish)

also what are the ukcat cut off like?
Hi Will,
Do you think an average UKCAT score of 687 would be enough for me to get an interview at Barts this year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196

Barts love,
Will

What advice would you give to someone considering to apply to medicine? Is there anything you wish you'd been informed of before you applied (about the course)? Can too give me a breakdown of each year so far in terms of the curriculum?

I hope you're enjoying the course and your time at Barts.
Hi

Barts is one amongst my top targets to study grad entry med at. However, before I apply, I want to know how much of a factor academics play in the selection process. This is because I got poor A level grades of ABC. Do I stand a chance if my other stats are fine (good GCSE, good UKCAT, good PS)?

Also, I am planning on resitting these A levels to achieve AAA during my undergrad studies while studying Biomed. Does barts take resit applicants like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
More good questions!

There isn't an aspect of the course or the University that I actively dislike. However, as I stated before, medical students are encouraged to give regular feedback regarding their teaching. Every student at every university will have individual likes and dislikes but that is the same everywhere.

I think Barts is individual in that it has a variety of teaching styles that accommodate those who prefer traditional lecture-styled teaching and those who prefer interactive or clinically-based teaching. That may be why the student satisfaction at Barts is so high.

As for your second question, Barts is extremely social! I am a member of a sports club and have a job (which I am doing right now) and I don't find the balance difficult to maintain. Obviously, medical school is challenging academically and finding the best way to study takes a while but if you're good enough to get in, you'll be good enough to pass your exams without busting a gut!

I hope this helps.

Barts Love,
Will

It's clear that you feel medicine at Barts is taught well and is really good but would you be able to give some examples of things you don't like? I understand that the course is good but as you've said previously every student has likes and dislikes.
Reply 199
Hi, more good questions. Keep them coming!

I guess I'm lucky in that I work for QMUL as they are very flexible (my bosses are probably reading this 😉). However, there are plenty of student jobs in London, especially with catering companies and bars etc. Lots of my friends have other jobs and it's perfectly manageable, especially in the first few years. In fact, it's nice to have something else to occupy your mind.

As a medical student, there may also be paid work available in research roles. For example, I've been doing some data input for a gastroenterology study recently.

Barts love,
Will

Paid work in research roles sounds really interesting. Are opportunities like this highly sought after by students? Are spaces very limited? How long would these roles last?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but that just sounds like something I'd love to take up.
Thank you for your time.😊

Latest

Trending

Trending