The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thanks for your questions. If you have failed to achieve the standard offer then it's very unlikely that you would be accepted or even get an interview applying unless there were strong extenuating circumstances. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging. Oxford's requirements are lower than ours, of course, so you may have met some of theirs. Best of luck.

Thank you for your help!
Hi,
I'd like to study phys Nat sci. I've recently got a B in my AS maths ( 236 UMS), I will be retaking c1 next year as that was the module that reduced my grade (65 UMS). I understand this a lot lower than usually accepted but as I suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks towards the end of the year which effected my performance I was wondering whether this could still be considered?
Maths was the only external exam I did but I achieved 100 UMS in my chemistry mock and a B in physics but I am predicted an A in the A2 exams.
I achieved 5A* 6A at GCSE also.
If my A2 grades aren't high enough for Cambridge is it possible to be considered after a third year of study?
Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
It will depend on the candidate and, indeed, the people assessing it. I imagine that, as this is the first time we've done, it people will have differing views about how important Maths UMS alone will be. My own view is that it will be useful but nowhere near as useful as the previous SUMS average based on the three best science results.

Hi I'm in a similar position but am looking to apply to medicine.

My maths is at 82% ums but I also do biology, chemistry and physics (which are reformed of course) which I achieved As in.

Will the maths grade put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by anelieselh
Hi,
I'd like to study phys Nat sci. I've recently got a B in my AS maths ( 236 UMS), I will be retaking c1 next year as that was the module that reduced my grade (65 UMS). I understand this a lot lower than usually accepted but as I suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks towards the end of the year which effected my performance I was wondering whether this could still be considered?
Maths was the only external exam I did but I achieved 100 UMS in my chemistry mock and a B in physics but I am predicted an A in the A2 exams.
I achieved 5A* 6A at GCSE also.
If my A2 grades aren't high enough for Cambridge is it possible to be considered after a third year of study?
Thank you :smile:

Hello and thank you for your questions. The combination of your public and internal Year 12 exams are not very encouraging I am afraid. We do consider extenuating circumstances but it's important to think about what is best for you. If you do suffer from extreme anxiety and panic attacks, you need to be sure that Cambridge is the right environment for allowing you to do your best. Cambridge assessment is manly done through exams and if exams do not bring out the best of your ability then it might be best to apply to universities that place more emphasis on continuous assessment. I do not say this to put you off, but it is something that you need to consider before applying.

It's very unlikely that a Physical Nat Sci would be accepted after three years of A Level study without severe extenuating circumstances.
Original post by Cherub012
Hi I'm in a similar position but am looking to apply to medicine.

My maths is at 82% ums but I also do biology, chemistry and physics (which are reformed of course) which I achieved As in.

Will the maths grade put me at a disadvantage?

Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, 82% in Maths will put you at a disadvantage on that metric because there will be many medical applicants with a much higher maths score. It doesn't mean you can't be successful, you will just have to perform stronger in other areas.
Resitting modules is fine though in most cases unnecessary. In both French and Maths you have achieved an A grade so the A grade at least should not be in doubt providing that you perform according to your expectation in Year 13. Any offer you receive will depend principally on Year 13 performance so I would focus my attention on these if I were you. In the end, however, they are your A levels and you need to do what you wish with them.

Ok great thank you so much for taking the time to answer. Guess I'll just get on with my A2's then!
Reply 1006
Hi,

I just finished my A-levels and got A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry respectively. I had to resit several AS modules along with A2 to bump up my grades. Is this acceptable when applying to Cambridge for economics?
Secondly, my UMS in relevant subjects (Maths and Eco) for A2 were Core3 - 93 Core4 - 99 M1- 92 Econ3 - 90 Econ4 90.My GCSEs aren't that good at 1A* 4As 4Bs and 1C. Will I even be considered at initial assessment and how likely am I to get an offer?
(I understand other factors such as personal statement and interview performance matter but assuming they are fine).

Thanks for your help
Hello and thank you for your questions. The combination of your public and internal Year 12 exams are not very encouraging I am afraid. We do consider extenuating circumstances but it's important to think about what is best for you. If you do suffer from extreme anxiety and panic attacks, you need to be sure that Cambridge is the right environment for allowing you to do your best. Cambridge assessment is manly done through exams and if exams do not bring out the best of your ability then it might be best to apply to universities that place more emphasis on continuous assessment. I do not say this to put you off, but it is something that you need to consider before applying.

It's very unlikely that a Physical Nat Sci would be accepted after three years of A Level study without severe extenuating circumstances.

Surely it's simply caused by an innocent typo, not presence of any mysogyny at Cambridge.......

Sorry, couldn't help.......:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
1. I was hoping you would be able to answer my questions regarding modern languages. I have seen that on several discussion threads people who have went to Cambridge felt intimidated because the majority of undergraduates can already speak the language to an almost fluency level. This may be because they have a holiday home in the country which they spend their school breaks in or they have a parent who speaks the language. This would deter me from applying as I have not had those opportunities and therefore would feel inadequate if the majority were of a much higher standard. I am at A-Level standard and am by no means fluent.

2. Also, the course I would be applying for is joint German and History. I was wondering would Cambridge make an offer requiring me to get an A* in either German or History or could the A* be in any of my subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Christ Admissions,

I'm going into year 12 this year and have gotten my results last week for my GCSEs.
I received 1A* 6As 1B and a C. Of course I was devastated seeing these results as I got 7A*s 2Bs for my recent mocks.
After a remark hopefully I get 5/6A*s 2/3As 1/2Bs.
I go to a school where 48% (I believe it's lower this year) students get 5 or more A* - C grades so it's not exactly the best school (perhaps the worst in the area/borough) and so I have gotten the 3rd best results I think in my year or the second? If my remarks come out successful I will be one of the first best results in my year.
I also live in a bad area!
When my teachers in my new sixth form write me a reference would it be possible to write I got the top results in my GCSEs for my year if my sixth form teacher allows that?

I am also going to the doctors for personal issues that would be considered as extenuating circumstances but I feel like since I completed my GCSEs it's not going to count. Shall I email my exams officer to see if they'd still accept it as an EC?

I really wanted to apply for medicine or maths and especially after I got my mock grades I had very high hopes! I was wondering if my AS exams went super well and had high UMS and my personal statement was very good would I still have a chance with Cambridge? I really want to study maths at Cambridge as it has the best course in the country and probably the world!
For medicine however, I wouldn't mind applying at Oxford or Cambridge but my GCSEs aren't ideal!
I will be doing voluntary work at a hospital for a year and along the way I will be having a work experience with a paediatrician and another surgeon. I will also be having a work experience in a Vet and will be doing a few more things as the year progresses.
Provided the UKCAT and/or BMAT goes super well and my PS and AS grades are also top notch, would it be worth applying for medicine at Oxbridge even if my GCSEs aren't the best?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studyblr_mr
1. I was hoping you would be able to answer my questions regarding modern languages. I have seen that on several discussion threads people who have went to Cambridge felt intimidated because the majority of undergraduates can already speak the language to an almost fluency level. This may be because they have a holiday home in the country which they spend their school breaks in or they have a parent who speaks the language. This would deter me from applying as I have not had those opportunities and therefore would feel inadequate if the majority were of a much higher standard. I am at A-Level standard and am by no means fluent.

2. Also, the course I would be applying for is joint German and History. I was wondering would Cambridge make an offer requiring me to get an A* in either German or History or could the A* be in any of my subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know 8-9 (? ) students who read modern languages at Oxbridge (2 x Oxford, the rest at Cambridge), and except for two of them who were bilingual in one of the languages they studied, none of them was like a sort of people you described. They only studied one or two of the languages they applied for, got good grades and then were accepted.
Hello and thanks for your questions. If you have failed to achieve the standard offer then it's very unlikely that you would be accepted or even get an interview applying unless there were strong extenuating circumstances. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging. Oxford's requirements are lower than ours, of course, so you may have met some of theirs. Best of luck.

LOL.
'of course'
The savageness is real rn.
Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I am applying this October for Computer Science for entry in 2017, but will be 17 when I start and only turn 18 in June (so end of first year).
I was wondering if that would put me at any disadvantage socially, but more importantly if I might get rejected because of my age (on my college website it says that they would "prefer underage students to defer"). I am really disliking the idea of a gap year and would like to go to university straight after I finish school...

Also, how does the question in the SAQ about gap years affect the admissions decision? If I reply "no" to the gap year, might I have had a chance of acceptance for 2018 but then been rejected because I am not taking the year off?

Thank you in advance,
Emily

Shots fired lmao.
Original post by jelibean
Hi,
I am applying this October for Computer Science for entry in 2017, but will be 17 when I start and only turn 18 in June (so end of first year).
I was wondering if that would put me at any disadvantage socially, but more importantly if I might get rejected because of my age (on my college website it says that they would "prefer underage students to defer":wink:. I am really disliking the idea of a gap year and would like to go to university straight after I finish school...

Also, how does the question in the SAQ about gap years affect the admissions decision? If I reply "no" to the gap year, might I have had a chance of acceptance for 2018 but then been rejected because I am not taking the year off?

Thank you in advance,
Emily

Will leave the advice on under-age application/acceptance to @Christ's Admissions, but perhaps @Colmans can help you on social life front by sharing his own experience. ............if he notices being tagged. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Will leave the advice on under-age application/acceptance to @Christ's Admissions, but perhaps @Colman can help you on social life front by sharing his own experience. ............if he notices being tagged. :wink:

Wrong Colmans :smile: (and I can't tag him from the app...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, 82% in Maths will put you at a disadvantage on that metric because there will be many medical applicants with a much higher maths score. It doesn't mean you can't be successful, you will just have to perform stronger in other areas.

Quite worrying but I guess expected for medicine. Would it severely affect the chances of an interview?

Thank you. :smile:
Thank you for all your help. I just have one question. I know that it's very difficult to get into medicine at Cambridge. I noticed that Oxford have admissions statistics- https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics. I was wondering whether this information is available for Cambridge? Is there anyway you could provide me with this information? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Arya150
Thank you for all your help. I just have one question. I know that it's very difficult to get into medicine at Cambridge. I noticed that Oxford have admissions statistics- https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics. I was wondering whether this information is available for Cambridge? Is there anyway you could provide me with this information? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Latest

Trending

Trending