The Student Room Group

A-Level Option Help? What do I take?

Hi guys! I just finished my GCSEs (8 A*s & 3 As) and I desperately need help with my A-Level choices as I only have 3 weeks until I have to decide for certain as we can't drop any options after year 12.

For ages I've been decided on maths, history, english lit & drama but I've been having some doubts. I went from a B to an A* in GCSE maths this year so I've been very confident about it and my teacher has urged me to carry it forward. However, I've found the summer bridging work incredibly challenging and I'm really doubting that I'll do well on the course. I don't know whether it would be best to not do it instead of getting a bad grade at the end of A2.

I'm also considering not taking drama. I absolutely love theatre with a passion but if I ever do decide to pursue it then stage schools don't even look at academia anyway so I feel it's a little pointless. If I was going to drop it then I would swap it with chemistry. I've always disliked chemistry and been bad at it but in my exams this year I got maximum UMS marks in the second exam (I think that means I got full marks on the paper?). Obviously, this has given me a huge confidence boost in my ability for the subject. I don't know whether taking this would be more valuable than drama, even if I do enjoy it much less. Oh and I'd just like to point out that I got a high A* in chemistry compared to a middle A in drama, if that makes a difference.

So essentially my 3 choices are:
Maths, Drama, History & English Lit
Maths, Chemistry, History & English Lit
Drama, History & English Lit

Please help me! If anyone has any experience of these 5 different A-Levels that would be really, really appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't take a subject based entirely on your GCSE grade. Firstly, A levels are a lot harder but more than that whats the point? If you don't want to do a chemistry (or whatever) degree then why bother with an A level in it? You don't need chemistry to do an arts degree or something.

If you love theatre I'd urge you to take it. I know some people who really enjoyed theatre and for them it was more like a hobby than an A level. I'm not saying everyone's experience is like this but if you really love doing something then it doesn't feel like work. I took history for the same reason and i thoroughly enjoyed it. (I am a bit of a workaholic though)

Maths is a very good A level and is always indicative of cognitive ability. It demonstrates skills which your other choices don't (logical thinking etc). I feel like its beneficial for everyone to do, however, I'm a maths student so I'm obviously bias. If you hate maths it isn't worth taking because it is a lot of work (all A levels are though) but, imo, it always looks good.
If you dislike Chemistry please do not waste your time on it, I've learned through experience. Absolutely hated it throughout the whole of year 12.
There is no obvious correlation between GCSE and A-Level grades, that's the first thing I'll say. I got average GCSE results and got really good AS Level results, whereas some people who did very well at GCSE got E's, so taking a subject based on what your grades are is somewhat useful, but only take it with a pinch of salt because they're nothing alike. At A-Level I felt I was learning a completely new subject and it was basically like starting from scratch, just the work was more demanding. Go with what you truly enjoy!! You'll do better in the subject because you'll work harder and you'll be motivated. This will probably lead to a degree you'll end up loving, if you're wanting to go to uni. If you're thinking Arts degree, definitely forget Chemistry and go for either your first or third choice. You may be thinking "yes, but chemistry is well respected" and you're right. You're 100% right, but I can assure you it won't be well respected if you don't do too well in it. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Marked Target
I wouldn't take a subject based entirely on your GCSE grade. Firstly, A levels are a lot harder but more than that whats the point? If you don't want to do a chemistry (or whatever) degree then why bother with an A level in it? You don't need chemistry to do an arts degree or something.

If you love theatre I'd urge you to take it. I know some people who really enjoyed theatre and for them it was more like a hobby than an A level. I'm not saying everyone's experience is like this but if you really love doing something then it doesn't feel like work. I took history for the same reason and i thoroughly enjoyed it. (I am a bit of a workaholic though)

Maths is a very good A level and is always indicative of cognitive ability. It demonstrates skills which your other choices don't (logical thinking etc). I feel like its beneficial for everyone to do, however, I'm a maths student so I'm obviously bias. If you hate maths it isn't worth taking because it is a lot of work (all A levels are though) but, imo, it always looks good.

Thank you so much! You're totally right, I should probably do drama because I enjoy it. As much as I'm confident with chemistry now, if I don't enjoy it then I probably won't do well in it. Thank you for the maths advice too. I think I will take it and just try and do my best. I do really enjoy it so I hope that counts for something haha.
Reply 4
Original post by AndrewKn0x
If you dislike Chemistry please do not waste your time on it, I've learned through experience. Absolutely hated it throughout the whole of year 12.
There is no obvious correlation between GCSE and A-Level grades, that's the first thing I'll say. I got average GCSE results and got really good AS Level results, whereas some people who did very well at GCSE got E's, so taking a subject based on what your grades are is somewhat useful, but only take it with a pinch of salt because they're nothing alike. At A-Level I felt I was learning a completely new subject and it was basically like starting from scratch, just the work was more demanding. Go with what you truly enjoy!! You'll do better in the subject because you'll work harder and you'll be motivated. This will probably lead to a degree you'll end up loving, if you're wanting to go to uni. If you're thinking Arts degree, definitely forget Chemistry and go for either your first or third choice. You may be thinking "yes, but chemistry is well respected" and you're right. You're 100% right, but I can assure you it won't be well respected if you don't do too well in it. :smile:

Thank you so much. This was honestly such a helpful reply:smile: I'll go with what I enjoy! I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet, I'm thinking either something englishy, law or theatre. I suppose chemistry won't help in any of them. You're right in why I was going to do it, I just thought of it as the 'better' A-Level. I think I'd do okay because I seem to be quite good at it but I don't want to do something I'll end up hating by the end! Ok, I'm going to go with maths, drama, english and history. THANK YOU!!!<3
Original post by lowza
Thank you so much! You're totally right, I should probably do drama because I enjoy it. As much as I'm confident with chemistry now, if I don't enjoy it then I probably won't do well in it. Thank you for the maths advice too. I think I will take it and just try and do my best. I do really enjoy it so I hope that counts for something haha.

I don't know how much support your college will provide but maths is a subject where if you work hard you can do well. If you do all the past papers, get a student mentor (if you want one), get some study friends and work hard then you will reap rewards.

More than any other subject I think this is the case. It can be a lot of work depending on your ability but it does pay off.

If you enjoy it then that counts for a huge amount. Doing questions in a group with friends was a great way to revise imo and was actually fun. Not only can you help each other but you can motivate each other and make it enjoyable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Art is my passion and I almost didn't take it at Alevel because it 'doesnt look good' and my other three subjects were maths, further maths and physics. Thank god I took Art! If I could rewind and change all of my options to just things that I enjoyed then I would. Three As in non-science subjects looks a lot better than three Bs in something that you dislike

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by nnblccz
Art is my passion and I almost didn't take it at Alevel because it 'doesnt look good' and my other three subjects were maths, further maths and physics. Thank god I took Art! If I could rewind and change all of my options to just things that I enjoyed then I would. Three As in non-science subjects looks a lot better than three Bs in something that you dislike

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really good point, thank you! I'll take your advice and do the thing I love.
Take the subjects you really like! If you don't enjoy one subject you won't even be bothered to study for it and you could get a bad grade and end up with dropping it anyway. So my opinion would be go for History, English Lit, Drama and Maths. Don't take chemistry if you don't like it as it's quite hard and it'll become even harder. Then make sure you are taking the subject that unis require for the course you wanna study. Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest