The Student Room Group

Teacher is advising me to request a remark

Hi
I'm in a bit of a weird position at the moment. When I got my English Lit/Lang result, I got overall an A grade which was massively helped by my AS and my coursework, as in my actual A2 exam (LL4) I got a D. I was surprised at this as on the day I really liked the paper and, throughout the year, my teacher was marking my worst practice exams at nothing below a C grade.

I was predicted an A* and today I got an email from my English teacher saying:

"
Hi Sam. We think there have been some issues with the marking of LL4. We would like to request that your exam paper is remarked."

The problem I have is that, I'd love an A*. However this has no effect on my uni (I got an unconditional) and I would guess that, due to the D grade, my overall grade is only slightly into the A. So as there is always a risk of it going down, I am worried that I could request a remark and end up with an overall B grade which I would be gutted about.

However I do have the utmost trust in my English teacher. Any advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Can't you request the script back and check it first?
Reply 2
Oh wow, this is a tough one. However, I think you should trust your teacher on this one and get a remark. From what you've said, it seems really unlikely that you should have got a D on the exam so it's likely a marking error. If not, you'd just have to hope that you would stay the same. Since you've got an unconditional & your grade doesn't matter you don't really have anything to lose by getting a remark:smile: I hope it all goes well for you.
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
Can't you request the script back and check it first?

I think it's too late unfortunately. Any scripts requested back now will arrive after 20th September, which coincidentally is the deadline for requesting remarks
Reply 4
Original post by lowza
Oh wow, this is a tough one. However, I think you should trust your teacher on this one and get a remark. From what you've said, it seems really unlikely that you should have got a D on the exam so it's likely a marking error. If not, you'd just have to hope that you would stay the same. Since you've got an unconditional & your grade doesn't matter you don't really have anything to lose by getting a remark:smile: I hope it all goes well for you.

Thank you!
Original post by Samiz
I think it's too late unfortunately. Any scripts requested back now will arrive after 20th September, which coincidentally is the deadline for requesting remarks

wth, that's so retarded.

If you think a remark could push you up to an A* then it could be worth it. Even though it will just be vanity. If you don't think you'd get an A* even if it went up then dont bother since it costs money and there is the risk of going down (though you already got a D in it and since you're evidently not bad at the subject how far down can it go?)
Reply 6
I'd check how close you are to the 2 boundaries:

if it drops below 320 overall you will have a B.

If your A" UMS is 180 or more you get an A*

and then decide. Even if you have full UMS in the A2 coursework (80) and a high D in the exam (71) you are still (180-80-71=) 29 UMS off an A*. It is incredibly unlikely it will go up that far. Ask your teacher if they have already got the scripts back or if anyone esle has had a re-mark that went up loads.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
I'd check how close you are to the 2 boundaries:

if it drops below 320 overall you will have a B.

If your A" UMS is 180 or more you get an A*

and then decide. Even if you have full UMS in the A2 coursework (80) and a high D in the exam (71) you are still (180-80-71=) 29 UMS off an A*. It is incredibly unlikely it will go up that far. Ask your teacher if they have already got the scripts back or if anyone esle has had a re-mark that went up loads.

I'm not good with the UMS/calculating, but if it means anything I got overall 333 'points' in the cash in (WJEC lang/lit)
Reply 8
Original post by Samiz
I'm not good with the UMS/calculating, but if it means anything I got overall 333 'points' in the cash in (WJEC lang/lit)

If it goes down 14 you get a B, it has to go up at least 29 (more if you got less than full UMS in the A2 coursework and/or less than 71 in the A2 exam) for an A*.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
If it goes down 14 you get a B, it has to go up at least 29 (more if you got less than full UMS in the A2 coursework and/or less than 71 in the A2 exam) for an A*.

Thanks for the help everyone. My teacher emailed this morning saying that I'm safely in an A grade and, she already saw a script of my exam and she is saying it's at least a B grade answer, so I'm going to request the remark.

Quick Reply