The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Oyster card?!?!

I will be moving to kcl in a couple of weeks and will need to use the underground tube to get there from my accomodation. How does an 18+ oyster card work? Do I just the weekly amount (around £22) and thats it?
Original post by dingdon
I will be moving to kcl in a couple of weeks and will need to use the underground tube to get there from my accomodation. How does an 18+ oyster card work? Do I just the weekly amount (around £22) and thats it?

If you buy say, a one week travel card, onto your Oyster, then you're able to use the buses/tubes as much as you like in that week period.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Id personally do it termly instead of weekly :smile:
Reply 3
oh thank you. So I just pay the £22.60 for a weekly pass? There are no more add ons?
Reply 4
18+ gives you a 30% discount on the total price of a normal adult oyster card fee. 18.

Depending on which zone you would like to use for underground trains, the fee may change for example only zone 1 or zone 1 and 2 etc.

If you get a weekly pass for underground you'll also be able to uses the busses with no extra add-ons but for weekly bus pass you have to pay to use the underground.

Hope this help feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr_X
18+ gives you a 30% discount on the total price of a normal adult oyster card fee. 18.

Depending on which zone you would like to use for underground trains, the fee may change for example only zone 1 or zone 1 and 2 etc.

If you get a weekly pass for underground you'll also be able to uses the busses with no extra add-ons but for weekly bus pass you have to pay to use the underground.

Hope this help feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

ohh alright thanks so i literally just pay for a termly pass for zone 1 2 and it will give me access for zone 1 2 on tube and I can use as many tubes as possible? So its a cheaper alternative to paying for a ticket every day?
I wanted to ask something similar too ! Is contactless payment ok ?! Or is it cheaper to use an oyster ?
Reply 7
Original post by Vashappeninkira
I wanted to ask something similar too ! Is contactless payment ok ?! Or is it cheaper to use an oyster ?

They cost the same for single fares but you can't use special discounts with a contactless card etc so it's best to get an oyster card
Original post by Vashappeninkira

I don't think contactless payment would apply any discounts you may get as someone mentioned before.

I would get an Oyster just because of that.

Also if you do get one, make sure your contactless card and Oyster are separated when tapping in - "Watch for card clash."
Original post by dingdon
ohh alright thanks so i literally just pay for a termly pass for zone 1 2 and it will give me access for zone 1 2 on tube and I can use as many tubes as possible? So its a cheaper alternative to paying for a ticket every day?

Yes it is definitely cheaper. You also won't need to keep returning to the ticket machines to buy a ticket if you just pay for a term one time.
I have a question.

i am 18 and My 16+ oyster expires at the end of next month.

I don't know whether i am still entitled to the 16+ oyster or do i have to get the 18+

I will be starting my second year of college next month
^

does anyone have an answer to my question?
Reply 12
Original post by Blackstarr
I have a question.

i am 18 and My 16+ oyster expires at the end of next month.

I don't know whether i am still entitled to the 16+ oyster or do i have to get the 18+

I will be starting my second year of college next month

If you already have turned 18 before the start of the new academic year I'm sure your are not entitled for the 16+, best thing would be to already order the 18+ so when your 16+ expires you already have a new oyester card that you can use.

Quick Reply

Latest