The Student Room Group

Has the point of university become officially pointless?

I am baffled.

I worked incredibly hard all of my school life, got great gsce and a level results, ocmpleted my degree and am now about to start my masters.

I'vealways considered going to university the result of my hard work however I am now questioning it all completely.

My sister was, and still is, the opposite of me in terms of school - not one gsce, never worked a day in her life, no qualifications of any kind and is not an academic person in any way. Shes now 21 and has received an unconditional offer to study Earth sciences and paleontology. I cannot understand this. Are universities now so desperate to get their money that they'll accept anyone?

Shes my sister and I would love to encourage this choice but I just cant do it. She has said the main reason for this choice is that it is "easier than getting a job as student loan pays more.".

No interview, no need to prove she can write an essay, nothing. I asked her if ahe wanted help with how to reference sources as that's important to get your head around. She looked at me blankly then said "Na i wont need to do stuff like that.".

I just can't understand this. If she had even a slightest bit of experience or just something then maybe i could wrap my head around it.

Has the introduction of such high fees resulted in this? Can anybody else understand?
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know where you sister got in to and if you're missing out relevant information about how she got in but, no, university is not "pointless". Good for your sister going to expand her knowledge. You want to be operated on by a doctor who hasn't at least studied medicine? Want to be on the 34th floor of a building that was designed by an engineer who can't do any maths? Or be defended by a lawyer who hasn't studied the law?

Entry requirements may have been low at wherever your sister got into but they offered her a chance to learn and expand her knowledge and university is a vital part in the progress of the world and first and foremost the current functioning of the world.
University used to be an advantage to have, now it is a disadvantage not to have
Reply 3
She got in through a personal statement, which i read and rewrote for her basically saying she thinks it will be fun. Great, but surely universities have to have standards?

No gcses, no hobbies relating to the course, no nvqs, no a levels, no work experience, no job, nothing since leaving school. Honestly nothing, not even a love of reading, writing, museum going. Nothing at all could qualify her for this course.

Im just so confused by this. Surely they have some responsibility to at least ensure a person can write an essay? It just seems as if they are going to take the money and accept no responsibility when she fails.
Which uni's this?
Original post by RayApparently
Which uni's this?

in before London Met.

Spoiler

Reply 6
She said the University of London, but I'm now thinking maybe it's Birkbeck?

I just feel as if shes being set up to fail
9k a year... the Uni will take it without a second thought and she is stupid to do a degree like that..
What degree are you doing OP (just being nosey).
Reply 9
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
What degree are you doing OP (just being nosey).

I've just conpleted a history degree - started with the intention of doing a PGCE after. Gosh i sound like a total hypocrite as I did a degree based on enjoyment.
Original post by RLA90
I've just conpleted a history degree - started with the intention of doing a PGCE after. Gosh i sound like a total hypocrite as I did a degree based on enjoyment.

PGCE isn't a masters bro... Its a few letters of being a 'GCSE.'

Thank Margaret Thatcher who bought in all these Mickey mouse subjects that are clearly of no benefit what so ever, they should scrap them. However if you are a top university doing a top degree you are obviously going to be better of than not having a degree. Likewise if do a stem subject etc.
Reply 11
Original post by alexjones1994
PGCE isn't a masters bro... Its a few letters of being a 'GCSE.'

Thank Margaret Thatcher who bought in all these Mickey mouse subjects that are clearly of no benefit what so ever, they should scrap them. However if you are a top university doing a top degree you are obviously going to be better of than not having a degree. Likewise if do a stem subject etc.

Intention of doing a PGCE - with the state of education I've bailed on that idea and decided to do a journalism masters. I was just stating why I believed, at the time, history was a good option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending