The Student Room Group

is an essay based subject necessary for medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by anoushka221
most people aiming for medicine in my school are, and it seems fairly common especially in the competing private school everyone does it, but what would you recommend?

I went to a top private school, and we were still advised against it. The advise is right! I took 5 at AS, but I was in no better position than someone taking 4. Literally, when med schools look at your application, they look to see if you pass the minimum, and that is 3 A levels and 1 AS, anything above the minimum gives you no extra credit.

Trust the advise, you will be in no way advantaged taking 5 than taking 4. The only exception is oxbridge, but yet again its not important there anyway.

Take 4 not 5, or you might spread yourself too thin and not get 95% avg if you are going for cambridge, or not get AAA.
Original post by TheCe
Should I drop maths?

You should take biology, chemistry and two other subjects which you enjoy and think you can do well in. There is no particular advantage to doing maths, equally you wouldn't be disadvantaged by dropping it.
Reply 22
Original post by Democracy
You should take biology, chemistry and two other subjects which you enjoy and think you can do well in. There is no particular advantage to doing maths, equally you wouldn't be disadvantaged by dropping it.

Okay, thanks a lot for your help :smile:
Original post by *pitseleh*
As Helenia pointed out already above - most medical schools don't express a preference for students with a combination of arts and science A-levels. If you want to take an arts subject instead of Maths or Physics, that's fine, but it's absolutely unnecessary to do so otherwise, unless you happen to have your heart set on UCL.

I agree
Reply 24
Original post by Democracy

Also, I got an A* in Biology and Chemistry at igcse and 7As (got a B in further maths too), how good are my chances of getting into a decent university?
Original post by TheCe
Also, I got an A* in Biology and Chemistry at igcse and 7As (got a B in further maths too), how good are my chances of getting into a decent university?

I'll try help! In my experience, GCSEs have varying usefulness when it comes to predicting A Level performance, I've only done AS so far but i know people who got 8 A*s at GCSE and flopped this year, so its hard to tell. However lets be positive and say that you stay on track and get 4 As at the end of this year. Well, half the unis won't even look at AS Levels anymore so that makes it harder to predict. Also, because of your grades ( well done btw! you did great, meidicne is just hyper competitive) you wont realistically have a shot at some unis for medicine ( e.g. Oxford, Birmingham, Plymouth i think?) but thats insiginificant on top of all the other unis you've got an honest shot at. So if you get 4 As then you've got the UKCAT and/or BMAT to sit and if you flop those then you will singificantly ruin you're chances of getting in. However, again even if you do well in that you need work experience/volunteering etc to stand a chance to get into mediccal school.

So in a nutshell, gcse's are only the first step, you also need:
AS levels
BMAT/UKCAT
Work experience/long term healthcare experience
and luck :biggrin:

So predicting from GCSEs isnt a good idea and if often gets people down especially since medicine is so competitive and you see people with 6/7/8+ A*s ( especially on TSR :'(). Just focus on one small step at a time, cos you've got a LOT to fit in before you apply :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Moodicrus
I'll try help! In my experience, GCSEs have varying usefulness when it comes to predicting A Level performance, I've only done AS so far but i know people who got 8 A*s at GCSE and flopped this year, so its hard to tell. However lets be positive and say that you stay on track and get 4 As at the end of this year. Well, half the unis won't even look at AS Levels anymore so that makes it harder to predict. Also, because of your grades ( well done btw! you did great, meidicne is just hyper competitive) you wont realistically have a shot at some unis for medicine ( e.g. Oxford, Birmingham, Plymouth i think?) but thats insiginificant on top of all the other unis you've got an honest shot at. So if you get 4 As then you've got the UKCAT and/or BMAT to sit and if you flop those then you will singificantly ruin you're chances of getting in. However, again even if you do well in that you need work experience/volunteering etc to stand a chance to get into mediccal school.

So in a nutshell, gcse's are only the first step, you also need:
AS levels
BMAT/UKCAT
Work experience/long term healthcare experience
and luck :biggrin:

So predicting from GCSEs isnt a good idea and if often gets people down especially since medicine is so competitive and you see people with 6/7/8+ A*s ( especially on TSR :'(). Just focus on one small step at a time, cos you've got a LOT to fit in before you apply :smile:

Hey thanks a lot for your help! Much appreciated :smile:
I volunteered at a hospital this summer and would definitely gain some more work experience during my alevels. And

What subjects are you doing at the moment?
Original post by TheCe
Hey thanks a lot for your help! Much appreciated :smile:
I volunteered at a hospital this summer and would definitely gain some more work experience during my alevels. And

What subjects are you doing at the moment?

BIology Chemistry Maths and Economics, but im dropping economics like a brick for AS, so for A2 just bio chem maths
Reply 28
BIology Chemistry Maths and Economics, but im dropping economics like a brick for AS, so for A2 just bio chem maths

Cool
How were your results if I may ask :smile:
Original post by TheCe
Cool
How were your results if I may ask :smile:

My profile's on the medical thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3687163

Its the first one :biggrin:
Reply 30
My profile's on the medical thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3687163

Its the first one :biggrin:

Woah woah woah that's one impressive profile. Best of luck!
I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Sociology

And I'm hoping to do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read your comment; you said your school has 'recommended' an arts subject. Why would they do that if they didn't think it preferable to all sciences?

You're setting up a bit of a straw-man with your second comment; I've not suggested the OP should take FM; just that arts subjects are in no way to be 'recommended' or preferred above others.*

Nor have I suggested that you've recommended FM (the point I made was more of an elaboration than an argument). What I'm saying is that if he's considering taking an extra subject at AS, it's more worthwhile to do that than having Further Maths as an AS level (which had been mentioned in the OP), *especially* if he isn't going to get credited for doing it if it's being viewed as the same subject as Maths by medical school. As for an arts subject , Edinburgh is another example of having a slight preference for them. An AAAb is given 1/5 or 2/5 marks for a science subject but you get more marks for the same combination of grades with a non-science subject. I still strongly feel like something such as RS would be a good choice to take, especially when you are in year 12 and are exploring your options in terms of uni choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheCe
Woah woah woah that's one impressive profile. Best of luck!

Thanks, best of luck to you too!
As Helenia pointed out already above - most medical schools don't express a preference for students with a combination of arts and science A-levels. If you want to take an arts subject instead of Maths or Physics, that's fine, but it's absolutely unnecessary to do so otherwise, unless you happen to have your heart set on UCL.

This.
Original post by studentsixth
Nor have I suggested that you've recommended FM (the point I made was more of an elaboration than an argument). What I'm saying is that if he's considering taking an extra subject at AS, it's more worthwhile to do that than having Further Maths as an AS level (which had been mentioned in the OP), *especially* if he isn't going to get credited for doing it if it's being viewed as the same subject as Maths by medical school. As for an arts subject , Edinburgh is another example of having a slight preference for them. An AAAb is given 1/5 or 2/5 marks for a science subject but you get more marks for the same combination of grades with a non-science subject. I still strongly feel like something such as RS would be a good choice to take, especially when you are in year 12 and are exploring your options in terms of uni choices.

I think we're talking at crossed purposes here. I'd agree that an arts subject would be preferable to FM*if five A-levels were considered necessary/desirable. As it is, the point is kind of moot, since having five rather than four A-levels is substantially more risk for comparatively little gain.*

With Edinburgh, surely the point to make it that while AAAb (b in non-science) is preferred to AAAb (b in a science subject), AAAa outranks both of them. Arts subjects are fine, but what matters is choosing additional subjects (whether arts or sciences) that facilitate you getting the highest grades possible. This is why I'm saying it's daft to give out generic advice that subject combinations involving arts are somehow generally preferable (or 'recommended') in comparison those combinations that don't. People need to meet the basic subject requirements (Chemistry and one other science for most places), and then play to their strengths thereafter.*
Reply 36
I'm taking biology, chemistry and maths for a level and I'm not sure if some universities might frown on the fact that I haven't took an essay based subject?
Would anyone strongly recommend taking an essay based subject instead of maths?
Im almost certainly taking maths, fm, chem, bio and RS and I'll almost certainly drop down to three for year 13, i hope this is the right decision haha
Original post by eva1703
I'm taking biology, chemistry and maths for a level and I'm not sure if some universities might frown on the fact that I haven't took an essay based subject?
Would anyone strongly recommend taking an essay based subject instead of maths?

are you doing a linear course because 3 is the optimum amount to do for the linear ones otherwise I'm in the same boat as you haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending