The Student Room Group

What makes medics so greedy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4EX
Yes they save lives and are compassionate and stuff and full credit to them for that and all BUT I do think they are greedy.

Think about it, every time they are mentioned in the news its never about them curing cancer or anything like that, its always about them wanting more pay and more money for less hours. Bus drivers, firemen, policemen have to work 24/7 and they don't complain. I feel doctors feel they are entitled to some kind of superior treatment.

And then theres the fact that they are quite sneaky. You ask them "Is this strike about money?" and their answer is essentially this:

"No DEFINITELY NOT. This is about completely about patient safety. The government are proposing to stretch resources too thin. They're trying to convert a 5 day service into a 7 day service using the same number of doctors...[and then here it comes...] They need to acknowledge that Saturdays and Sundays are out of hours services."

What they are saying is... if you pay us enough, we'll do the extra work even though its apparently unsafe LOL

So dodgy.

Are you trolling? Do you realise that anyone with a medical degree in the UK could practise abroad and probably earn 10x what the NHS pays junior doctors or that they could probably become investment bankers earning 50K+ a year?
Reply 21
News flash - everyone is bloody greedy
Reply 22
Original post by 4EX
No lol

I would never apply for a job that pays 30K for going around sticking my finger into people's ********s.

You shouldn't be talking about a topic that you know nothing about.
Reply 23
Doctors earn well over 50k though
Original post by Pra99
Doctors earn well over 50k though

Juniors don't, the starting salary for a junior is a paltry 22K.
Reply 25
Yes but when we talk about salary we don't talk about initial salaries. But anyway I understand what your saying.
Original post by Pra99
Yes but when we talk about salary we don't talk about initial salaries. But anyway I understand what your saying.

Okay, but if you take out professional exam costs, medical membership after graduation, ongoing training costs and other expenses of being a doctor that salary gets eaten into pretty quickly, membership fees and exam can cost upwards of £1000 each
Original post by Pra99

I think the point they were making is the initial salary of a junior banker is £50k+ compared to a junior doctor on £22k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
medics would become unemployed if their patients were cured. their job is to keep people sick enough to need their services and products frequently and not be cured

as you would expect such a profession would attract the worst people in society

I know a hell of a lot of doctors and 95% of them are soulless money grubbers or outright sociopaths. 95% of the medics on this forum would fit that description

There are still some good doctors but mainstream medicine is a killing field
Original post by 41b
medics would become unemployed if their patients were cured. their job is to keep people sick enough to need their services and products frequently and not be cured

as you would expect such a profession would attract the worst people in society

I know a hell of a lot of doctors and 95% of them are soulless money grubbers or outright sociopaths. 95% of the medics on this forum would fit that description

There are still some good doctors but mainstream medicine is a killing field

I quite agree. The doctors and nurses of this world spend the time whilst they're not in hospital infecting public places with bacteria with the intent of ensuring that as many people as possible become sick. They also cause car crashes to ensure the maximum flow of patients to trauma units; clearly the only reason that they're raising concerns on the limited number of beds is so that they divert attention away from this blindingly obvious truth.

Thank you for enlightening me; I always thought that doctors went into medicine to cure the sick. How very wrong I was.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by SummerStrawberry
I quite agree. The doctors and nurses of this world spend the time whilst they're not in hospital infecting public places with bacteria with the intent of ensuring that as many people as possible become sick. They also cause car crashes to ensure the maximum flow of patients to trauma units; clearly the only reason that they're raising concerns on the limited number of beds is so that they divert attention away from this blindingly obvious truth.

Thank you for enlightening me; I always thought that doctors went into medicine to cure the sick. How very wrong I was.

Medics go in to treat the sick, not cure them. Like welfare: give a man fish for a year and when you stop he'll starve to death; teach him how to fish and he'll live forever.

Give a man a treatment and he'll feel better and come back to you for more treatment later, because you never cured what was wrong with him (by design) and now he's hooked on your drugs that cause cascading side effects that need more drugs to treat; teach a man how to feed himself properly, and take natural herbs, and supplement with minerals, and eat organic food, and he'll never need to go to the doctor in the first place.

The logic is really simple: if everyone was healthy tomorrow, all non-emergency doctors would become unemployed. Whether it seems too cruel to be true to you or not is kind of irrelevant; doctors benefit by keeping people sick and dependent, and the people who go into such jobs are likely to be bad people.

Ps. Lol at the 16 year old trying to argue. Come back when you can vote.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0range
Nope. They are superior, hence them being titled as doctors, and that being different to the normal person. They save lives. They deserve to have their weekends.

doctors are not superior.

engineers are the greatest.
Original post by 41b
Medics go in to treat the sick, not cure them. Like welfare: give a man fish for a year and when you stop he'll starve to death; teach him how to fish and he'll live forever.

Give a man a treatment and he'll feel better and come back to you for more treatment later, because you never cured what was wrong with him (by design) and now he's hooked on your drugs that cause cascading side effects that need more drugs to treat; teach a man how to feed himself properly, and take natural herbs, and supplement with minerals, and eat organic food, and he'll never need to go to the doctor in the first place.

The logic is really simple: if everyone was healthy tomorrow, all non-emergency doctors would become unemployed. Whether it seems too cruel to be true to you or not is kind of irrelevant; doctors benefit by keeping people sick and dependent, and the people who go into such jobs are likely to be bad people.

It is by engaging in debate that one gains the ability to think critically and thereby effectively use their democratic right to vote when the time comes for them to do so. I don't believe that my ability to debate changes suddenly on my 18th birthday. However, if you would rather not enter any debate purely by virtue of my age, I will refrain; I lose nothing.
Reply 33
Original post by 41b

Your logic could stand if we had a private health care system in the UK, but we don't.

You quote the proverb of teaching a man to fish as if we, as a society, don't aim to promote a healthier lifestyle? We place tax on recreational drugs (alcohol, cigarettes etc.) and even on high-sugar products to (in theory) deter consumers, and the evidence shows it works. One may argue that such taxes are in place for profit of the government, but that's a separate point entirely as here we're explicity referencing doctors.

I think you're also forgetting that doctors are paid in set salaries with specific bonuses based upon their overtime hours / weekends worked, they don't get extra bonuses for treating more people - I'm sure many doctors would be more than happy to see 5 patients in a GP surgery between 9am-5pm and get paid x as opposed to seeing 36.
On a similar note, I think you're also forgetting that people will always be ill with the current state of technology. One can't simply prevent every single viral or bacterial infection, a fall, a car crash, an injury in a sports accident - the list is endless.

It's illogical for doctors to "keep people sick," when there will, no matter how much prevention we provide, be 'sick people.'

On a final note, don't think you're superior because of a difference in age. You're not.
(edited 7 years ago)
When you work 70 hours+ a week, you have the right to complain.
Good point, genuinely interested, how would a Dr become an investment banker?

Thanks a bunch
Reply 36
Original post by 41b
Entertainment

I'd like to open by asking the simple question: do you feel it just for an individual who smokes / drinks alcohol / carries out their life in a relatively unhealthy manner to be left to suffer upon falling ill? I'm sorry to say I'm in the presence of a sociopath if this is the case.
I'm not quite sure why you're bringing in the so called down-falls of the government into this discussion, please do bear in mind that the topic of discussion is as to whether or not doctors have ulterior motives to keep individuals sick.
On a similar note, thank you for not arguing against my point about tax and it being a perfect example of our preventive measures regarding poor health and an argument against your poorly quoted proverb.

The exact same principle applies with emergency doctors.
Ah, of course, you, as an oldie, sure do know a lot more about me about exactly which medical conditions are curable! You, sir, severely underestimate how many medical conditions the health care system deals with, and how many possible diseases / illnesses exist.
Let's just say, for a second, that every 90% of the diseases out there were curable and in some great ploy to fool us layman, every single scientist researching said cures has kept them under raps, there's enough (still) combined with generic accidents that result in injuries to keep every emergency doctor busy.

I'd certainly like to see your evidence of a majority of GPs, or any other healthcare professional for that matter, taking bribes. And, of course, you know better than me, once again, in your infinite stream of knowledge.

Let's tick these off one by one: who says you're better than me? You? That won't stand too well, particularly not with your level of maturity and arrogance. You know more? This may be true, but knowledge doesn't directly translate to superiority (it is all very subjective!). You're stronger? I don't know how you could come about such a fine conclusion? You've never seen me, nor do you know of my physical capabilities.
You're smarter? Once again, you can't say this for certain. Nonetheless, natural intelligence doesn't translate to superiority (take a look at many people with an incredible IQ). You're more experienced? You can have this one, this one is likely true if you're talking about generally in life.

You're better at 'violence'? Deary me. Are you sure you're older than me?
I do listen to those who are wiser than myself, but you aren't proving it to be the case here.

Rushing into a subject to gain a girl's favour? Excuse me, what girl? I 'hopelessly rushed in' to give my opinion on the matter.
The real question is what makes you so salty?
Only in GB could a hate figure be made out of someone who is literally there to care for you 24/7, for free.

All in all, gr8 b8 m8, 10/10, would not read again.
Original post by Med_Diablo
Good point, genuinely interested, how would a Dr become an investment banker?

Thanks a bunch

You could either enter as a graduate or come in via an MBA. Banks are not fussed over your degree.

Investment banks advise a lot of healthcare companies on accessing capital markets, financing, mergers, acquisitions etc. so having a strong knowledge of medical products (and what those products are solving) is extremely useful. Quite a few former doctors reside in healthcare advisory teams at investment banks.

Quick Reply

Latest