The Student Room Group

Can I, an introvert, succeed in accounting?

Or do you need a more extroverted personality to work in accounting at a big firm?

I can talk to people and make friends and stuff but I'm not that chatty and I am more of the reserved type who gets on with their work.
Reply 1
The big four can be quite political so you'll need to make your voice heard and try to be social and outgoing but you can survive there as an introvert if you make some effort to talk to people and build relationships with clients.
You'll need to be social but you can still do that while being an introvert, just have to put yourself out there.
Original post by squish562
Or do you need a more extroverted personality to work in accounting at a big firm?

I can talk to people and make friends and stuff but I'm not that chatty and I am more of the reserved type who gets on with their work.

Isn't accounting basically made for introverts?
Not really, both extroverts and introverts work in accounting. Accounting at a big4 tends to have more extroverted personalities.
Reply 5
You would think so, but the top of many different fields are dominated by the loudmouth, speak first think later personality type. You will need to be able to play the political game and know how to defend yourself, unfortunately.
No not really, sen managers and above are very loud and extroverted
Reply 7
Most accountants I've met are introverted. You'll do fine. Don't worry about it.
Original post by cdude
Most accountants I've met are introverted. You'll do fine. Don't worry about it.

really? I was on a insight week and all the people i met were very extroverted
Reply 9
Yep. Extroversion is overrated anyway. There's more business development focus in big4 these days (mostly M/SM and above) but you can easily move into a different role or company by then.
Original post by citibankrec
really? I was on a insight week and all the people i met were very extroverted

Sampling error. You get a certain type of staff signing up for those events; people like me who need a break from the office, think it's a brilliant opportunity to meet new people, and don't mind speaking to crowds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending