The Student Room Group

Help me find a rich husband pls

Scroll to see replies

You being "pretty" will depreciate as time goes by. If rich guys were interested in looks mostly, they'll find another gold digger once you're not pretty enough anymore. What else can you give to your "future rich husband"? I know this sounds harsh and in all honesty I'm not trying to be. I'm being blunt with you, that's all.
(edited 7 years ago)
As if half of TSR is helping a women who hasnt even completed her alevels bag a rich guy.

I think i'll start one of these threads.
If you find a rich man, find me one as well, lol
Original post by leavingthecity
Moaning about your job is fine, sponging of someone who according to your numbers probably hates what they have to do to earn money is not. Buy a weekly lottery ticket, don't be a parasite living an undeserved lifestyle that's not necessary in the slightest.

I think some people are misunderstanding this situation. i don't fully understand the OP's motives more than what she has written, but I think it may not be that bad.

For example, let us imagine a young beautiful woman who studies at Cambridge or Harvard and gets a job as a lawyer or a doctor. Her boyfriend, who then becomes her husband, is from a wealthy family.

He tells her not to work any more because, in reality, they don't have to work to life a VERY comfortable life. She decides to not work, in order to focus on raising her young family. Now will you classify this woman as a gold-digger? No, I don't think so.

What about a woman who is in the same situation and qualified, but just wanst to marry a rich man or into a rich family because she does not want to waste her life working? Is she a gold-digger.

Finally, what about if the OP never mentioned it to anyone, but got married and told her rich husband that she does not want to work? Will she be a gold-digger?

My point is that we need to be careful with labels because society (through the help of feminists) is shouting that women, who may just want an "easy", should go and work. There are claims that even self-selected housewives are a disgrace to womanhood, which is sad.

Not all rich people are there slugging away. some of them are just relaxed enjoying their lives doing other things other than working in dead-end jobs.

Why will someone want to work for the sake of working, if you don't enjoy what they are doing? Why will someone want to do 40 - 60 hour weeks in jobs that they will quit in a second, if they fell into money?
The thought of this has crossed my mind before (lol I have no shame), BUT it's definitely something I'd never do. A posh toff would never be able to 'get me', considering my background would be completely different. What do you do when he leaves you? Being with someone just for money is shallow, and it would honestly make me feel so hollow and horrible. Just work hard, get a decent job and you'll be fine. Most people won't be able to afford penthouses, private jets etc. but that's just something you have to get over.
Original post by Wired_1800
I think some people are misunderstanding this situation. i don't fully understand the OP's motives more than what she has written, but I think it may not be that bad.

For example, let us imagine a young beautiful woman who studies at Cambridge or Harvard and gets a job as a lawyer or a doctor. Her boyfriend, who then becomes her husband, is from a wealthy family.

He tells her not to work any more because, in reality, they don't have to work to life a VERY comfortable life. She decides to not work, in order to focus on raising her young family. Now will you classify this woman as a gold-digger? No, I don't think so.

What about a woman who is in the same situation and qualified, but just wanst to marry a rich man or into a rich family because she does not want to waste her life working? Is she a gold-digger.

Finally, what about if the OP never mentioned it to anyone, but got married and told her rich husband that she does not want to work? Will she be a gold-digger?

My point is that we need to be careful with labels because society (through the help of feminists) is shouting that women, who may just want an "easy", should go and work. There are claims that even self-selected housewives are a disgrace to womanhood, which is sad.

Not all rich people are there slugging away. some of them are just relaxed enjoying their lives doing other things other than working in dead-end jobs.

Why will someone want to work for the sake of working, if you don't enjoy what they are doing? Why will someone want to do 40 - 60 hour weeks in jobs that they will quit in a second, if they fell into money?

Yes, all very well and romantic that someone may not want to slog it out 18 hours a day and instead do more edifying, enjoyable things with their time. Point is.....DON'T WE ALL. Why should a man have to bank roll that for you? It's very very expensive and in most cases it's paid for by a ton of hard graft, risk, discomfort and other substitutes for the things you'd rather be doing. If you don't want to waste your life working, live a lifestyle that you can afford ie. very modest. Riches are excessive. All your examples describe a 'gold-digger'. And a very important point you have overlooked in asking why someone would 'work for the sake of working' is that to take a break from work, leaving a gap on your cv, will make it bloody hard to pick up work again if you need to or even want to in future. This is the problem that is often faced by many housewives that have to suddenly go back into the workforce. They now can only compete for the most menial of jobs. An outstanding education, as in your example, becomes redundant after a number of years. This woman is left with very limited options as a means of achieving anything that resembles her previous lifestyle and most of those options are men. The later down the line this happens the more likely her potential sources of income are to be divorced or generally unable to attract a wife. As for your warning us not to belittle the voluntary housewife, we are not and we are certainly not lumping her with the very questionable type of woman that OP aspires to. They are quite different.
Original post by Wired_1800

Yaaaas you get it! I would definitely work but life would be easier if he had money..
Yes, all very well and romantic that someone may not want to slog it out 18 hours a day and instead do more edifying, enjoyable things with their time. Point is.....DON'T WE ALL. Why should a man have to bank roll that for you? It's very very expensive and in most cases it's paid for by a ton of hard graft, risk, discomfort and other substitutes for the things you'd rather be doing. If you don't want to waste your life working, live a lifestyle that you can afford ie. very modest. Riches are excessive. All your examples describe a 'gold-digger'. And a very important point you have overlooked in asking why someone would 'work for the sake of working' is that to take a break from work, leaving a gap on your cv, will make it bloody hard to pick up work again if you need to or even want to in future. This is the problem that is often faced by many housewives that have to suddenly go back into the workforce. They now can only compete for the most menial of jobs. An outstanding education, as in your example, becomes redundant after a number of years. This woman is left with very limited options as a means of achieving anything that resembles her previous lifestyle and most of those options are men. The later down the line this happens the more likely her potential sources of income are to be divorced or generally unable to attract a wife. As for your warning us not to belittle the voluntary housewife, we are not and we are certainly not lumping her with the very questionable type of woman that OP aspires to. They are quite different.

Lol why are you going to bother posting if its not helpful. I said at the start spare me that bs about being golddigger. I'm not stupid, my grades aren't terrible and I aspire to attend a russell group uni (hardly anyone from my estate attends uni let alone a russell group)..BUT I want to break away from thos crappy social class. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to drop my knickers for the first rich guy I meet but I want to be in a vicinity where I can meet quite a few and hopefully we click. I can't do that on my own. I want a family and in order to reach millionaire status I anticipate it will take at least a decade. And also loads of women do this. The duchess of this country did it and no ones out there calling her a golddigging whore.
Original post by Anonymous
Lol why are you going to bother posting if its not helpful. I said at the start spare me that bs about being golddigger. I'm not stupid, my grades aren't terrible and I aspire to attend a russell group uni (hardly anyone from my estate attends uni let alone a russell group)..BUT I want to break away from thos crappy social class. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to drop my knickers for the first rich guy I meet but I want to be in a vicinity where I can meet quite a few and hopefully we click. I can't do that on my own. I want a family and in order to reach millionaire status I anticipate it will take at least a decade. And also loads of women do this. The duchess of this country did it and no ones out there calling her a golddigging whore.

Mainly because the Duchess of Cambridge was already a rich kid by the time she was at uni. She went to private schools all her life and her family were rich enough to afford Marlborough (which you need to have an income of around £250k to afford)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drowzee
The thought of this has crossed my mind before (lol I have no shame), BUT it's definitely something I'd never do. A posh toff would never be able to 'get me', considering my background would be completely different. What do you do when he leaves you? Being with someone just for money is shallow, and it would honestly make me feel so hollow and horrible. Just work hard, get a decent job and you'll be fine. Most people won't be able to afford penthouses, private jets etc. but that's just something you have to get over.

He doesn't have to be a posh toff tho. I would prefer new money over old money. If he leaves me, well at least I would have experienced what its like to live in his world (even if it was for a brief amount of time)..And you're right I can't afford a penthouse or a private jet but the possibility of marrying a man who does still exists.

You wanna become a millionaire just like this? Well in that case you may want to a man that's a bit older, you know? Young men coming from rich families aren't completely independent from their parents, and more often than not, they're wary of girls trying to make a name for themselves like this

And btw, Kate's background wasn't that bad to begin with.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Mainly because the Duchess of Cambridge was already a rich kid by the time she was at uni. She went to private schools all her life and her family were rich enough to afford Marlborough (which you need to have an income of around £250k to afford)

She still went from middle class to upper class by marrying Prince William. She also pursued william for the title so how does that make her any better?
Original post by abc:)
Jesus Christ I'm worried about finding a husband at all let alone a rich one

Same

That is fair enough. You have made valid points.

If the OP chooses to go to University and get a job, then it is her choice. If she chooses not to, then it is her choice. Not everyone, who finishes from universities get decent jobs.

Besides, what happens when she has done all these things and working in a nice job, but her rich husband decides that he does not want her to work. Some people's advice will be for her to divorce him, which does not make sense to me.

My original point is that one should live and let live. People are getting pissed off because the OP brought it up. I think there may be many other women thinking along those lines, who will never mention it.
She still went from middle class to upper class by marrying Prince William. She also pursued william for the title so how does that make her any better?

My main point is that she was rich and so was he. I hate to say it to you (and this is coming from someone who has dated rich kids. Take my advice or leave it), but rich kids like sticking to their own kind of class. They prefer dating other rich kids and if they don't, then the person is normally someone that gets them completely.
Original post by Rhaenys10
You wanna become a millionaire just like this? Well in that case you may want to a man that's a bit older, you know? Young men coming from rich families aren't completely independent from their parents, and more often than not, they're wary of girls trying to make a name for themselves like this

And btw, Kate's background wasn't that bad to begin with.

I want a guy whose family is rich but they're not old money if you get me? Like his father could be a millionaire but not a toff cuase I'd find that off putting considering my own background.
And Kate was still middle class. She wasn't a blue blooded aristocrat. She pursued william cause he was a prince.
Dear Ms. Pretty,
I have read your post with great interest. Guess there are lots of girls out there who have similar questions like yours. Please allow me to analyse your situation as a professional investor.
My annual income is more than $500k, which meets your requirement, so I hope everyone believes that I'm not wasting time here.

From the standpoint of a business person, it is a bad decision to marry you. The answer is very simple, so let me explain.
Put the details aside, what you're trying to do is an exchange of "beauty" and "money" : Person A provides beauty, and Person B pays for it, fair and square.
However, there's a deadly problem here, your beauty will fade, but my money will not be gone without any good reason. The fact is, my income might increase from year to year, but you can't be prettier year after year.

Hence from the viewpoint of economics, I am an appreciation asset, and you are a depreciation asset. It's not just normal depreciation, but exponential depreciation. If that is your only asset, your value will be much worse 10 years later.

By the terms we use in Wall Street, every trading has a position, dating with you is also a "trading position".
If the trade value dropped we will sell it and it is not a good idea to keep it for long term - same goes with the marriage that you wanted. It might be cruel to say this, but in order to make a wiser decision any assets with great depreciation value will be sold or "leased".

Anyone with over $500k annual income is not a fool; we would only date you, but will not marry you. I would advice that you forget looking for any clues to marry a rich guy. And by the way, you could make yourself to become a rich person with $500k annual income.This has better chance than finding a rich fool.

Hope this reply helps.

signed,
J.P. Morgan CEO
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My main point is that she was rich and so was he. I hate to say it to you (and this is coming from someone who has dated rich kids. Take my advice or leave it), but rich kids like sticking to their own kind of class. They prefer dating other rich kids and if they don't, then the person is normally someone that gets them completely.

Are you from a well off family? If not then how did you manage to get these rich guys to date you and 'break away from their own kind of class?'
He doesn't have to be a posh toff tho. I would prefer new money over old money. If he leaves me, well at least I would have experienced what its like to live in his world (even if it was for a brief amount of time)..And you're right I can't afford a penthouse or a private jet but the possibility of marrying a man who does still exists.

Eh, most public schools are probably full of new money these days. New money people are probably just as snobby. Why would you want to marry someone that you won't love?
Tbh I get where you're coming from. Sometimes I think life would be 100x easier if I could marry rich. Just imagine all those clothes I could buy, and the amazing social circles I could have....

But then I look at myself and my background and know that we can never really click, we'd be from two completely different worlds and I doubt we could ever understand each other fully.

I'd much rather go for someone from a similar background to mine who is on track to being very successful (and rich...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending