The Student Room Group

Landlord is telling me I have to pay for a wall I didn't break

I'm a student living in a shared tenancy in the UK. My landlord knocked on my door today and pointed out there is a large crack in the wall that seperates my house from the street. He said that myself and the rest of the tenants would have to pay for it.

I had not noticed the crack until he pointed it out, but I only came back to the house a few days ago, as I was staying at my parents over summer (I'm a student). I asked my housemates about it and none of them have much of an idea how it got there. We have had a few people parking in our drive, and someone may have reversed into it or something, but that would hardly be our fault as we have repeatedly told people not to park there. My landlord says the wall is new, but I know it can't be very new as street view on Google Maps shows it being there at least two years ago. My personal feeling is that the crack has just developed over time, perhaps partly due to poor workmanship, and has got worse recently due to the unusually hot weather we have been having in London. I'm fairly sure I can remember there being a little bit of a crack in it for a while now.

What kind of rights do we have here? As no one in the house owns a car themselves, its fairly clear that none of us could have caused the crack. Does this matter? Is the landlord responsible for paying for some wear and tear? My landlord was also angry that there was a lot of dead leaves that have collected in the drive way, and he has also said that the bathrooms will be professionally cleaned, and that we will have to pay for them also. However, the bathrooms are not particularly dirty, and we clean them quite regularly.What kind of rights do we have here?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by loooopppyyy
Picture would help.

It sounds like a regular crack on the outside wall that develops overtime as the foundations and house move, this happens to a lot of properties and should be the landlords responsibility to fix, although most people dont bother unless it becomes apparent its causing a hazard and/or getting worse.

Also tell him to swivel on the professional cleaning, as long as its not a total mess, thats his respinsibility for general upjeep on wear and tear.

The dead leaves part just shows how much of an ass your landlord is.....

Thanks for this.
Reply 2
Original post by OldBullLee
I'm a student living in a shared tenancy in the UK. My landlord knocked on my door today and pointed out there is a large crack in the wall that seperates my house from the street. He said that myself and the rest of the tenants would have to pay for it.

Did you or any other tenant cause the damage? If not then you wont have to pay for it.

What kind of rights do we have here?

Loads. Ignore your landlord and claim back your deposit from the protection scheme when you leave.

Is the landlord responsible for paying for some wear and tear?

Landlord is responsible for paying all wear and tear.

My landlord was also angry that there was a lot of dead leaves that have collected in the drive way,

Some days I'm angry at the moon. It is just as irrelevant as your landlord's anger over fallen leaves.

and he has also said that the bathrooms will be professionally cleaned,

Good for him, if he wishes to do that.

and that we will have to pay for them also

Were they professionally cleaned before you moved in? Will you be able to clean it to the same standard before you leave?
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
Did you or any other tenant cause the damage? If not then you wont have to pay for it.

Firstly, thanks for the reply!

No we didn't damage it. He called me today and I had a discusson with him about it. He persisted with the idea that we broke it, but none of us own cars so I can't imagine how someone could think that we could have done it (someone actually came round later today who said he'd been asked by the landlord to come here and check the garden and the wall. He said it definitely looks like a car backed into it). The landlord then said that one of our friends must have done it when we were having a party. We haven't had a party since Feb, and none of our friends drove here anyway. I told him that we have people who just park in our driveway, and that we've told them not to do it many times. Tonight someone was parked in our driveway again, and we sent him a photo of it. The driver who did it this time is someone who we have told off a couple times before, and there is also a lot of other people who do it so it would be difficult to stop all of them. However, he responded to the photo we sent him by simply saying we should try harder to stop people doing it.

Original post by Reue

Loads. Ignore your landlord and claim back your deposit from the protection scheme when you leave.

Ok, thanks for this, I'll look into that.

Original post by Reue

Landlord is responsible for paying all wear and tear.

He claims that this crack in the wall is not wear and tear. I asked him if he would pay for damages if a car crashed into our house, and he said yes, and then I asked him how this is different. Of course he just argued that we did it ourselves (this was before I sent the photo).

Original post by Reue

Some days I'm angry at the moon. It is just as irrelevant as your landlord's anger over fallen leaves.

During the phone call he actually threatened to kick us out if the driveway wasn't tidied by tomorrow.

Original post by Reue

Good for him, if he wishes to do that.

Were they professionally cleaned before you moved in? Will you be able to clean it to the same standard before you leave?

I actually found out that it is required in our contract that tenants pay for professional cleaning of the bathrooms when the contract ends, so I'm ok with this.

Also, just cos I realised I didn't make it very clear, the wall in question is about a metre high and seperates the driveway from the street.

Thanks so much for the advice!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I volunteered at Shelter over the summer- a Housing Legal Advice charity.
Under s.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 a Landlord is responsible for the following:
the structure and exterior of your home, for example, the walls, roof, foundations, drains, guttering and external pipes, windows and external doors
basins, sinks, baths, toilets and their pipework
water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, gas fires, fitted electric fires or fitted heaters.
These repair responsibilities can't be cancelled out by anything your tenancy agreement says. Also, your landlord isn't allowed to pass on the cost of any repair work to you which is their responsibility.

Make sure you write to your Landlord and state what his legal obligations are. Inform him that if you are illegally charged for the damage you will seek to escalate the situation to a court hearing (just to shake him up).

Landlords/Landladies know their obligations and they know not to mess with people who know their rights.

I hope this has been helpful.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, and his threat of eviction is illegal. You are entitled to 2 months notice. Know your rights peeps :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by hudamh
Hi, I volunteered at Shelter over the summer- a Housing Legal Advice charity.
Under s.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 a Landlord is responsible for the following:
the structure and exterior of your home, for example, the walls, roof, foundations, drains, guttering and external pipes, windows and external doors
basins, sinks, baths, toilets and their pipework
water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, gas fires, fitted electric fires or fitted heaters.
These repair responsibilities can't be cancelled out by anything your tenancy agreement says. Also, your landlord isn't allowed to pass on the cost of any repair work to you which is their responsibility.

Make sure you write to your Landlord and state what his legal obligations are. Inform him that if you are illegally charged for the damage you will seek to escalate the situation to a court hearing (just to shake him up).

Landlords/Landladies know their obligations and they know not to mess with people who know their rights.

I hope this has been helpful.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for this, this is excellent to know.
Reply 7
Judge Rinder
Reply 8
Is Trump your landlord?

Oh, wait-- you don't live in Mexico.
Reply 9
Original post by RooshV
Judge Rinder

New to tsr been on various threads and noticed u your HILARIOUS 😂😂😂🖐🏾ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472690917.800213.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
must be a Trump supporter
Reply 11
NOTE:to anyone renting or whatever make sure before moving in you check the place out and take pics of damage done by previous tenants Soo the landlord doesn't try and make you fork out for something that you didn't do. (ESPECIALLY STUDENTS AS THEY OFTEN LIKE TO TAKE THE WEE WEE OUT OF US )😴😴😴😴😴😴

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Mas0n
New to tsr been on various threads and noticed u your HILARIOUS 😂😂😂🖐🏾ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472690917.800213.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha thanks bro
Reply 13
Original post by RooshV
Hahaha thanks bro

Lool np btw I'm female 😂😂 need to really get my avatar up 👸🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Mas0n
Lool np btw I'm female 😂😂 need to really get my avatar up 👸🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lool oh well, you're my bro now
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
No we didn't damage it. He called me today and I had a discusson with him about it. He persisted with the idea that we broke it, but none of us own cars so I can't imagine how someone could think that we could have done it (someone actually came round later today who said he'd been asked by the landlord to come here and check the garden and the wall. He said it definitely looks like a car backed into it). The landlord then said that one of our friends must have done it when we were having a party. We haven't had a party since Feb, and none of our friends drove here anyway. I told him that we have people who just park in our driveway, and that we've told them not to do it many times. Tonight someone was parked in our driveway again, and we sent him a photo of it. The driver who did it this time is someone who we have told off a couple times before, and there is also a lot of other people who do it so it would be difficult to stop all of them. However, he responded to the photo we sent him by simply saying we should try harder to stop people doing it.

Then you didn't cause the damage and so are not liable for it. Landlords are responsible for maintaining the structure anyway.

He claims that this crack in the wall is not wear and tear. I asked him if he would pay for damages if a car crashed into our house, and he said yes, and then I asked him how this is different. Of course he just argued that we did it ourselves (this was before I sent the photo).

Why are you even arguing about it now? Have you moved out? Requested your deposit back?

During the phone call he actually threatened to kick us out if the driveway wasn't tidied by tomorrow.

Lmao. So he's threatening an illegal eviction now? Ask him to put that in writing :wink:

I actually found out that it is required in our contract that tenants pay for professional cleaning of the bathrooms when the contract ends, so I'm ok with this.

The contract terms have been proven to be unenforceable. You only need to return the property to the same state as when you moved in. Was it professionally cleaned before you moved in? Can you clean it yourself back to that standard? If yes then you do not need to pay for professional cleaners.
Reply 16
Original post by Reue
Then you didn't cause the damage and so are not liable for it. Landlords are responsible for maintaining the structure anyway.

Why are you even arguing about it now? Have you moved out? Requested your deposit back?

Lmao. So he's threatening an illegal eviction now? Ask him to put that in writing :wink:

The contract terms have been proven to be unenforceable. You only need to return the property to the same state as when you moved in. Was it professionally cleaned before you moved in? Can you clean it yourself back to that standard? If yes then you do not need to pay for professional cleaners.

Thanks for this! Just to clarify the last point, when the tenancy agreement says that tenants must pay for professional cleaning when the tenancy ends, is that an unfair term? I believe the bathrooms were professionally cleaned before we came in, but I've no way to be certain.
Reply 17
Thanks for this! Just to clarify the last point, when the tenancy agreement says that tenants must pay for professional cleaning when the tenancy ends, is that an unfair term? I believe the bathrooms were professionally cleaned before we came in, but I've no way to be certain.

You need to return the property in the same standard as it was when you moved in..how you achieve this standard is up to you.*
Reply 18
Build a wall and make Mexico pay for it!
Put nails across the drive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending