The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
It's extremely common for students to go to their library help desk and request books from other uni libraries or just local/city/town libraries if your uni doesn't not hold the book you need for your topic and research!

Is it? Haha, I've been at uni two years and I never knew that. At least I know that for next year now :colondollar:
Original post by GoingToBurst
Think of it as a way to learn from past experiences and avoid a repeat of it happening again though :smile:. I'm so unbelievably jealous of that! I've got one class running alongside my dissertation, so I've got three essays to submit and a group presentation to do, then an exam 3 weeks after my dissertation hand in. The exam isn't my problem, it's having all of that other coursework to be doing as well as my dissertation that gives me the fear. Plus group assignments counting towards my final degree classification do not make me very happy :frown:.

That's very true. I think that's why they did it this year so we'd all get a chance to practice, although there were times we were sure they did it just to be mean to us!

Oh no! Sorry you've got to do all that at once! I hate having group work counting towards a final grade as well. There was a course I really, really wanted to do in my final year but all of the coursework was group based (there was a group essay?! How does that even work?!) and I knew I wouldn't do well in that so I didn't take it :frown: Do you get to chose your group?

I'm sure you'll be fine, you're off to an amazing start now :h: I do worry a bit about my motivation to do my dissertation because if I do the literature one I can just take books home and because I don't have to worry about coursework or exams or even going in to lectures I can see myself procrastinating a lot :s-smilie:
Original post by Firefly13
Is it? Haha, I've been at uni two years and I never knew that. At least I know that for next year now :colondollar:

A lot of 1st years don't bother to go the library induction that's why aha! I never knew this either until I asked on Yik Yak what happens if your uni doesn't have your required texts. Someone replied unis often get books from other unis and etc. It does cost, but the uni pays for it so milk 'em dry if you can!

I can't wait to for all the dissertation talk for me in January!
A lot of 1st years don't bother to go the library induction that's why aha! I never knew this either until I asked on Yik Yak what happens if your uni doesn't have your required texts. Someone replied unis often get books from other unis and etc. It does cost, but the uni pays for it so milk 'em dry if you can!

I can't wait to for all the dissertation talk for me in January!

Haha, I'll do that! Thanks for the tip :biggrin:
Good luck for your dissertation! What degree are you doing?
Haha, I'll do that! Thanks for the tip :biggrin:
Good luck for your dissertation! What degree are you doing?

You're very welcome.

I won't be starting mine or anything until next year April. But cause I'm doing 90 credits this semester, I won't have time to research plans or ideas, so I'm having to do it this summer.

I'll be doing a interdisciplinary dissertation in English Literature and Philosophy!

What's your subject?
You're very welcome.

I won't be starting mine or anything until next year April. But cause I'm doing 90 credits this semester, I won't have time to research plans or ideas, so I'm having to do it this summer.

I'll be doing a interdisciplinary dissertation in English Literature and Philosophy!

What's your subject?

I'm not really planning on starting mine properly until then either. We won't even get our topics until January and then I want to get through my exams before thinking about it! Glad to know I'm not the only one not working on it over the summer though :biggrin:

Wow! That sounds hard, good luck! I'm doing Biology and I'd like to do my one something to do with parasites or viruses, but I'll have to wait and see if that's possible :s-smilie:
I'm not really planning on starting mine properly until then either. We won't even get our topics until January and then I want to get through my exams before thinking about it! Glad to know I'm not the only one not working on it over the summer though :biggrin:

Wow! That sounds hard, good luck! I'm doing Biology and I'd like to do my one something to do with parasites or viruses, but I'll have to wait and see if that's possible :s-smilie:

Exactly, nothing wrong with planning ahead! Ugh, exams! How many exams do you have?

Haha, thank you! And oh right, that sounds interesting! Have you seen that BBC 3 or 4 documentary where the presenter (I think he was a scientist himself) that purposely infected/ingested a parasitic worm and followed its movement/growth inside his stomach/digestive system? It was so horrendous! So interesting though!

I'd hate if I had to choose from a choice of topics - the whole point of a dissertation is to be a open to your own individual preferences.
Exactly, nothing wrong with planning ahead! Ugh, exams! How many exams do you have?

Haha, thank you! And oh right, that sounds interesting! Have you seen that BBC 3 or 4 documentary where the presenter (I think he was a scientist himself) that purposely infected/ingested a parasitic worm and followed its movement/growth inside his stomach/digestive system? It was so horrendous! So interesting though!

I'd hate if I had to choose from a choice of topics - the whole point of a dissertation is to be a open to your own individual preferences.

Three in total, two in January and the last one in March, which is good because this year we had five and it was awful :s-smilie:. Do you have any exams?

Oo, I haven't heard of that. I'll have to go and check it out. It's bad I kind of want to do that as my dissertation now, isn't it? :colondollar:

I swap between hating and loving not being able to fully chose. I don't want to go into research after I graduate because I don't think I have the right sort of creative mindset to come up with a good topic, so being given a list really helps me. But then I worry what I'll do if I hate all of the topics!
Three in total, two in January and the last one in March, which is good because this year we had five and it was awful :s-smilie:. Do you have any exams?

Oo, I haven't heard of that. I'll have to go and check it out. It's bad I kind of want to do that as my dissertation now, isn't it? :colondollar:

I swap between hating and loving not being able to fully chose. I don't want to go into research after I graduate because I don't think I have the right sort of creative mindset to come up with a good topic, so being given a list really helps me. But then I worry what I'll do if I hate all of the topics!

Oh three isn't too bad and oh my Gosh really? That's awful! My friend had 10 exams in year 2nd year. She does Biology!

I will have 1 exam throughout my 2nd year and 0 exams in my third year. All of my modules will be coursework. I don't think I'll be able to handle that on top of a dissertation too! :/

It's called "Infested! Living with Parasites". Oh you scientists, always subjected your bodies to the name of science! :wink:

Oh yeah fair enough. A lot of science degrees don't have too much flexibility - I could only imagine why!
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh three isn't too bad and oh my Gosh really? That's awful! My friend had 10 exams in year 2nd year. She does Biology!

I will have 1 exam throughout my 2nd year and 0 exams in my third year. All of my modules will be coursework. I don't think I'll be able to handle that on top of a dissertation too! :/

It's called "Infested! Living with Parasites". Oh you scientists, always subjected your bodies to the name of science! :wink:

Oh yeah fair enough. A lot of science degrees don't have too much flexibility - I could only imagine why!

Haha, maybe I shouldn't complain about my exams now :colondollar: I think you're really lucky to be able to avoid exams though, even though coursework takes ages at least you don't need to worry about memorising everything!

Thanks! I'll watch that later today :biggrin:
Reply 50
Hi everyone!
I am starting to think about my dissertation - due early april. I am doing the BA Primary Education with QTS .

I have thought of two ideas and wanted to run them past anyone who may be able to help.

My first idea is to research the use of teaching assistants. This would involve questionnaires, interviews and observations.

My second idea is to look at behaviour management techniques and comparing them during core and foundation subject lessons. This would involve observations and could even be turned into experimental by implementing my own techniques after observing the exisisting ones.

To anyone who can offer advice i would appreciate the help!
My motivation seems to have taken a huge nosedive into the *****er. I'm not motivated to do any dissertation work. I'm not motivated to do any semester prep work. I'm not motivated to look at grad job options. I have NEVER felt like this before. Normally I'm the one that is buzzing to get back to uni but not this time :frown:.
Reply 52
:hi:

I'm Anon #2 studying BSc Neuropsychology and my dissertation is due early April. I know my topic and my supervisor I just need to decide exactly what I'm doing. It's a lab based study looking at physiological responses to anxiety but I haven't worked out the rest yet :tongue:

Hope this thread will keep me on track :eek:
Hi Everyone

I am currently at the very first stage of finding a dissertation topic and I'm a bit lost! I'm a Maths student and would appreciate any advise anyone has.
Reply 54
Mines due at the beginning of March, and because we're part of biosciences we got to pick research areas from a list (a lot of people choose to do research projects but I've chosen a literature based one) and I was given my first choice which was a self-designed dissertation on Science Communication.
I'm planning on doing something about gender imbalance in STEM subjects/careers and how science education at a primary level could change that.
Mine is due in on Septmber 1st but gonna ask for an extension as I have barely done anything, I've been too drunk. The title is: "the experience of the abstinent alcohol: An interpretetive phenomenological analysis"
So since I've last posted about how sure I am on my dissertation topic, I've changed it about 100 times. I'm back to square one.
Original post by JamesManc
Mine is due in on Septmber 1st but gonna ask for an extension as I have barely done anything, I've been too drunk. The title is: "the experience of the abstinent alcohol: An interpretetive phenomenological analysis"

Do you mean it's in for next Sept 2017, or in two days!??!
Reply 58
Omg! Don't do a me! Mine's due next week and ALL my research has fallen through. If anyone, I mean ANYONE, can quickly answer this questionnaire to boost my numbers, I would be so so soooo appreciative of it. Even share it with friends and family or whoever: https://goo.gl/forms/T7wbLkPDJRmwMe7i2
Original post by Jaki_B
Omg! Don't do a me! Mine's due next week and ALL my research has fallen through. If anyone, I mean ANYONE, can quickly answer this questionnaire to boost my numbers, I would be so so soooo appreciative of it. Even share it with friends and family or whoever: https://goo.gl/forms/T7wbLkPDJRmwMe7i2

I tried to but I don't work in food & beverage, sorry :frown:.

Latest

Trending

Trending