The Student Room Group

Polish Man Beaten To Death In potential Hate Crime By Gang Of 20 In Essex

Family man, 40, 'beaten to death by a gang of teens for being POLISH' as police arrest six for the 'hate crime'

A murder inquiry has been launched after a Polish man died following a suspected hate crime beating. The victim was today named by his brother as Arkadiusz Jozwik, 40, known fondly as Arek.

Arek, who moved to the UK in 2012, was allegedly targeted alongside his friend, who is also Polish, by a gang of up to 20 teenage thugs outside a takeaway in Harlow, Essex.

The gang, made up of boys and girls, are understood to have hurled abuse at the two men before launching the 'brutal attack, leaving them unconscious.

Police reportedly told Mr Jozwik's family that he had been attacked 'for speaking the Polish language'.

Essex Police confirmed the 40-year-old man from Harlow who suffered serious head injuries in the incident has died at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.

His friend, identified only as a 43-year-old man from Harlow, was taken to hospital with fractures to his hands and bruising to his stomach.

Source.

Disgusting hate crime. Imagine the outrage this would attract had the perpetrators been Muslim (or better yet, refugees)?

Scroll to see replies

inb4 right-wings blame Islam and immigrants for this
Original post by SirKyrgystan

Spoiler

Regardless, it sucks. Things on both sides are becoming more and more tense.
Teenage gangs generally tend to be full of idiots. They'd gang up on someone English if they had a haircut or clothing items they didn't like the look of.
Reply 4

No, they'll blame the EU for this.

Race relations in the west seem to be getting a lot worse, so this does not surprise me one bit. If you're Eastern European or Muslim (or look Pakistani/Arab), expect a lot of bs from racist, ignorant fools.
Reply 5

Things like this are the inevitably consequence of fuelling the fire of hatred/xenophobia and of divisive tactics from those on the right that insist certain minority groups in the U.K. are "incompatible" with our way of life and hate us.
Reply 6
Original post by WoodyMKC
Teenage gangs generally tend to be full of idiots. They'd gang up on someone English if they had a haircut or clothing items they didn't like the look of.

The police have clearly stated that this was a 'hate crime' and that the man was attacked because he was heard speaking Polish.
Original post by lawyer3c
The police have clearly stated that this was a 'hate crime' and that the man was attacked because he was heard speaking Polish.

.... I read that part. As I said, gangs of uneducated "youths" will attack people for being different to them. That includes a different accent, different style of clothing, whatever.
Reply 8
.... I read that part. As I said, gangs of uneducated "youths" will attack people for being different to them. That includes a different accent, different style of clothing, whatever.

I'm not convinced, regardless, that wasn't what happened here, so is pure conjecture, and to me seems to be an attempt to divert from the hate-based nature of this attack.
Original post by drowzee
No, they'll blame the EU for this.

Race relations in the west seem to be getting a lot worse, so this does not surprise me one bit. If you're Eastern European or Muslim (or look Pakistani/Arab), expect a lot of bs from racist, ignorant fools.

That's not a completely insane suggestion. The influx of unskilled work from the former warsaw pact countries has made finding work for the working class much harder, and hence the anger and tension build. There is no doubt a cultural element too. Without the freedom of movement laws from the EU, this may have been avoided.

Sophie Lancaster comes to mind
I'm not convinced, regardless, that wasn't what happened here, so is pure conjecture, and to me seems to be an attempt to divert from the hate-based nature of this attack.

Who says it was a hate crime? That's just what the OP wrote. Some snips from the actual article:

"Detectives believe the murder could have been a hate crime." - COULD, not WAS.

"One man, who runs an off-licence, said: 'There have been attacks in the past.

'There is a gang of the teens that hang around - they are taking drugs and they pick on anyone.

'It's made the area a no-go zone at night for locals as they are fearful of what will happen if they go out just to get a pint of milk.

'I have seen as many as 50 teens hanging round outside the shops.'

The man, who did not want to be named, said the group had been responsible for a string of attacks in the past year.

'This was the third attack that I know of. They have attacked Polish people before, but English people too."
(edited 7 years ago)
"for being Polish?" :yawn:

Unless you have quotes of all of them saying before the attack "let's beat this man for being Polish" and confessions after the crime of each of them saying "Yes I beat him because he was Polish," then be quiet.
Things like this are the inevitably consequence of fuelling the fire of hatred/xenophobia and of divisive tactics from those on the right that insist certain minority groups in the U.K. are "incompatible" with our way of life and hate us.

Ok and? I mean what do you want us to do??...
Go leave the house
write on a picket sign
and march or something.
Reply 14
Original post by 0to100
Ok and? I mean what do you want us to do??...
Go leave the house
write on a picket sign
and march or something.

this is called the "news and current affairs" forum, if you dont want to read about the news/current affairs i recommend you browse other forums
Original post by TercioOfParma
That's not a completely insane suggestion. The influx of unskilled work from the former warsaw pact countries has made finding work for the working class much harder, and hence the anger and tension build. There is no doubt a cultural element too. Without the freedom of movement laws from the EU, this may have been avoided.

Yes I know, that's why I said it. My point was, right wingers love to excuse racism. People like to blame their failure on others, and immigrants are one of the easiest targets, so that argument doesn't excuse any racist hate crime. I'd definitely say culture is a big element; the elderly overwhelmingly voted to leave, so it's clear people like familiarity and feel threatened.
Original post by TercioOfParma

:congrats:
this is called the "news and current affairs" forum, if you dont want to read about the news/current affairs i recommend you browse other forums

Ballocks what're you informing us of...?
Original post by drowzee
Yes I know, that's why I said it. My point was, right wingers love to excuse racism. People like to blame their failure on others, and immigrants are one of the easiest targets, so that argument doesn't excuse any racist hate crime. I'd definitely say culture is a big element; the elderly overwhelmingly voted to leave, so it's clear people like familiarity and feel threatened.

I'm right wing. It isn't an excuse for racism, what we are pointing to is overarching policies that lead to racism. Do you understand how Jim Crow led to racist Americans (regardless of colour), for instance?

Bit rich considering you clearly didn't read the article yourself or you'd have seen that the information within contradicts the title and content of the thread, as I've already pointed out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending