The Student Room Group

Did anyone else not find Sixth Form to be as hard a everyone said?

Everyone says A-Levels are waaaaaaaaaaaay harder and a massive step up, but I didn't find it to be that big a jump. I'm going into A2 now with 4 A's and I just want to let anyone who is in Y11 know that the jump isn't that bad - but I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences (I did Politics, History, German and Spanish)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rolaah
Everyone says A-Levels are waaaaaaaaaaaay harder and a massive step up, but I didn't find it to be that big a jump. I'm going into A2 now with 4 A's and I just want to let anyone who is in Y11 know that the jump isn't that bad - but I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences (I did Politics, History, German and Spanish)

You do two Languages, that's amazing! I wasn't even brave enough to pick one despite really liking French. Well done on your great AS results, and good luck for A2! I'll be starting sixth form next week with History, English Lit and Psychology. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by meandegreen
You do two Languages, that's amazing! I wasn't even brave enough to pick one despite really liking French. Well done on your great AS results, and good luck for A2! I'll be starting sixth form next week with History, English Lit and Psychology. :smile:

Hay good luck! I assume that you've done well in your GCSEs as you've chosen subjects that are relatively harder (especially history which is a LOT of revision). Honestly, like I said, don't fret too much about Sixth Form because it's not as bad as everyone says, actually it's SO much better than GCSE since you're (hopefully) taking subjects you actually are passionate for.

Languages were actually really fun at A2 and don't be put off by it! If you realise that you don't like a particular subject when you start AS, normally you can switch within the first few weeks and honestly I would consider French as a back-up in case it all goes to s***.
Which board for Spanish?
I feel the same way... People just get too stressed out.
The most difficult period for me was the first few weeks of year 12. I would come out of lessons and feel light headed and dizzy (particularly after Physics) and I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be studying or doing. But then after results day in Year 12 something clicked and it felt.. easy in a way. I dunno, with Maths in particular, once that thing clicks for you (after practicing a lot) it's a pretty fun subject.
Reply 5
Original post by RogerFedora
Which board for Spanish?
I feel the same way... People just get too stressed out.

OCR, you?
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
The most difficult period for me was the first few weeks of year 12. I would come out of lessons and feel light headed and dizzy (particularly after Physics) and I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be studying or doing. But then after results day in Year 12 something clicked and it felt.. easy in a way. I dunno, with Maths in particular, once that thing clicks for you (after practicing a lot) it's a pretty fun subject.

Yeah igy, as long as you're doing subjects you're good/click at then it's obvs gonna find A Levels a lot easier, GCSEs seemed worse bc so many subjects I did I hated XD
Original post by rolaah
OCR, you?

WJEC. Are you going to keep it?
Reply 8
WJEC. Are you going to keep it?

100%, I managed to get 92% and it's non-reformed so I only need like a C next year to get an A (which is rly good considering I only need ABB to get into my dream uni!). hbu?
Original post by rolaah

Were you cruising through History the entire year like I did
Original post by rolaah
100%, I managed to get 92% and it's non-reformed so I only need like a C next year to get an A (which is rly good considering I only need ABB to get into my dream uni!). hbu?

Awesome! I'm actually going to do an intensive course because my Spanish level is quite decent. What is your dream uni?? And course?
Yeah I didn't find the last 2 years of A-Levels to be as hard as some people made it out to be. Sure, some concepts were difficult to grasp but I only started revising for my exams a week or two before they started and I came out alright. I honestly disagree when people say to be sure to work hard as soon as they start A-Levels. From my experience, it's not needed and you can get away with starting revision a month or two before your actual exams.
i think it's a different experience for everyone..i definitely found it harder tbh
How did you find German at A level?
Reply 14
Original post by Boredomstrikes
Were you cruising through History the entire year like I did

Yeah lol, although revision was a bit of a mare ngl
Reply 15
Awesome! I'm actually going to do an intensive course because my Spanish level is quite decent. What is your dream uni?? And course?

Oh that's really cool, I plan to go to Edinburgh to study Politics and German. It look really sick, and afterwards I plan to do a masters at LSE or oxbridge (but obvs depends on how I find uni!). I also plan to go to Tokyo for 6 months-year to learn Japanese, but idrk when! Good luck - I'm sure you'll nail A2 mate
Reply 16
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah I didn't find the last 2 years of A-Levels to be as hard as some people made it out to be. Sure, some concepts were difficult to grasp but I only started revising for my exams a week or two before they started and I came out alright. I honestly disagree when people say to be sure to work hard as soon as they start A-Levels. From my experience, it's not needed and you can get away with starting revision a month or two before your actual exams.

I agree 100%, people exaggerate A-Levels too much. If you revise a month in advance that's more than enough time.
Reply 17
Original post by bubblegumcat
i think it's a different experience for everyone..i definitely found it harder tbh

Fair enough - as I said it varies from person to person. What did you take?
Reply 18
Original post by loginrunner
How did you find German at A level?

I found it to be fairly easy as I kept speaking it throughout the year so by the end I was fairly proficient. Also vocab came easy to me which is lucky!
Original post by rolaah
Oh that's really cool, I plan to go to Edinburgh to study Politics and German. It look really sick, and afterwards I plan to do a masters at LSE or oxbridge (but obvs depends on how I find uni!). I also plan to go to Tokyo for 6 months-year to learn Japanese, but idrk when! Good luck - I'm sure you'll nail A2 mate

Oh, it's insane how much someone can learn while in a country.. I want to do Philosophy and Spanish/ It looks amazing at Edinburgh. Thanks lol.

Quick Reply

Latest