The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Feeling pretty meh about starting back at uni. Have seen both the best and worst of the NHS in the past few weeks, and I'm not entirely sure the good bits outweigh the bad for me.*

On that note, I wish to file two formal complaints, one to a GP surgery and one to a hospital. Is PALS the way to go?

--feels like should know this but too brain fogged--

(Anon on purpose)*
Original post by Anonymous
Feeling pretty meh about starting back at uni. Have seen both the best and worst of the NHS in the past few weeks, and I'm not entirely sure the good bits outweigh the bad for me.*

On that note, I wish to file two formal complaints, one to a GP surgery and one to a hospital. Is PALS the way to go?

(Anon on purpose)*

I'm definitely feeling the same as your first paragraph!

I take it you're complaining as a patient? For hospital PALS is definitely the way to go. GP practices tend to, AFAIK, have their own complaints procedures. They're often detailed on their website, but practice manager is often the go to. (I'm sure some of the current docs will be along to correct me if I'm wrong).
(edited 7 years ago)

(Anon on purpose)*

PALS for the hospital, contact the practice manager of the GP surgery to find out what their complaints policy is. Sorry you've had a bad time.
Original post by ForestCat
I'm definitely feeling the same as your first paragraph!

I take it you're complaining as a patient? For hospital PALS is definitely the way to go. GP practices tend to, AFAIK, have their own complaints procedures. They're often detailed on their website, but practice manager is often the go to. (I'm sure some of the current docs will be along to correct me if I'm wrong).

Original post by Helenia
PALS for the hospital, contact the practice manager of the GP surgery to find out what their complaints policy is. Sorry you've had a bad time.

Thank you both very much. Feeling a bit lost at the moment.*

Not complaining for myself, but about the treatment of a family member. They have since passed, but one of the complaints is about a potentially life-threatening mistake (indeed, it did result in hospitalisation, but it could have been a lot worse). So I hope I can make the complaint on the behalf of my family.*
Thank you both very much. Feeling a bit lost at the moment.*

Not complaining for myself, but about the treatment of a family member. They have since passed, but one of the complaints is about a potentially life-threatening mistake (indeed, it did result in hospitalisation, but it could have been a lot worse). So I hope I can make the complaint on the behalf of my family.*

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've not much experience in complaints myself. But write it all down first, so you have it clear in your head and you can provide it as a written statement to both parties. Try and keep all correspondence on paper as much as possible, avoid phone calls.
About to start my 1st year soon, reading some of your posts got me thinking, with the state the NHS is in currently, as your years go by are you losing morale or are most of you simply sick of being students now?
Original post by Zain-A
About to start my 1st year soon, reading some of your posts got me thinking, with the state the NHS is in currently, as your years go by are you losing morale or are most of you simply sick of being students now?

Both. I always knew the realities of medicine and the NHS, but I guess its sinking in more now. Plus I really do suck at being a med student. I have never been someone who enjoys being a student.

(Anon on purpose)*

You've had a lot of good advice; it can be difficult when you notice shortcomings with the NHS and with other doctors, but remember to keep perspective. Absolutely make that complaint as is your right, but the majority of docs are working hard and indeed are overworked. You're working to be part of this system and to improve it, so keep the enthusiasm and keep battling to make the NHS as good as it can be in your hands :smile:
Original post by MJK91
x

Random but I love that you still have that as your profile pic. Are you really a Mr Money Bags? Because I'm a very poor student and all donations would be welcome :wink:
Random but I love that you still have that as your profile pic. Are you really a Mr Money Bags? Because I'm a very poor student and all donations would be welcome :wink:

Should really change that... no I'm the polar opposite sorry! I am currently being bankrolled by a fed up girlfriend :P
Original post by MJK91
Should really change that... no I'm the polar opposite sorry! I am currently being bankrolled by a fed up girlfriend :P

Shame!

Maybe I should find a sugar daddy... but I feel that would be far more hassle than its worth (and that I'm too old lol).
Shame!

Maybe I should find a sugar daddy... but I feel that would be far more hassle than its worth (and that I'm too old lol).

I think I'll be scouring the market for a sugar anything by mid december when my loan hasn't quite stretched to the 4 months it needs to. :biggrin:
Original post by Quilverine
I think I'll be scouring the market for a sugar anything by mid december when my loan hasn't quite stretched to the 4 months it needs to. :biggrin:

When do you start?
Reply 353
Thanks for the feedback on note taking. I already use Onenote for work so think I'll just try and use that.

I do sometimes think it's best to keep things simple though... Just write up notes on Word. Or better still, pen and paper. :biggrin:
Original post by Zain-A

I probably got a bit more motivated as I went on. I went straight into Medicine after another degree, so I was already fed up of being a student when I started. In hindsight maybe it would have been better to take a break between degrees, but then again if I'd done that I would still be a student, so pushing through had its advantages.

For me, the biggest upswing in motivation was starting clinical years. I hated lectures (always have; it's not a method of teaching I find very useful - I'd much rather sit in a library with some books and the internet), so having a change of pace and scenery made a definite difference.*
Both. I always knew the realities of medicine and the NHS, but I guess its sinking in more now. Plus I really do suck at being a med student. I have never been someone who enjoys being a student.

Hang in there; that was exactly how I felt, too. And then the first few weeks of F1 have been pretty hellish at times, but I'm starting to find my feet and am actually starting to enjoy snippets here and there. It will be worth it in the end. :smile:
Original post by *pitseleh*

Hang in there; that was exactly how I felt, too. And then the first few weeks of F1 have been pretty hellish at times, but I'm starting to find my feet and am actually starting to enjoy snippets here and there. It will be worth it in the end. :smile:

Oooh, i didn't know you're a doctor now - congrats :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Oooh, i didn't know you're a doctor now - congrats :smile:

Thanks very much! :^_^: Yep, am one month into my first job (paediatric surgery) and still just about able to clamber out of bed in the morning, which I'm counting as a win, haha. :yep:

:creep: We've been rumbled!
When do you start?

26th September, moderately terrified.

Quick Reply

Latest