The Student Room Group

Hate being British Pakistani female

Brit Pakistani have to be one of the Uncoolest people to be in the UK today. No one likes us. Nothing cool about us. Sexist controlling men(from my own experience) Nothing positive about us in the media. No famous female British Pakistani role models-no famous pak Brit females full stop. So many negative news stories e.g, grooming, gangs etc

We're crap at sports apart from cricket. Our food is good but it will always be called "Indian food".

All my relatives are married to their cousins. Therefore family want me to marry my cousin from a village in pak FML. Brb living under parent rules when young. Brb living under husbands and in laws rules when married off. Brb no freedom. Brb no self expression allowed esp if you're female. Brb compulsory to cook and clean for a girl.

On top of that coming from a Muslim background people are suspicious of us.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apart from the boxer Amir Khan and he really doesn’t have universal appeal we have none. I’m not talking about ‘successful people’ here, I mean genuinely famous ones. On the Wikipedia page for ‘List of British Pakistanis’ our famous ones include a fictional television character, a Michael Jackson impersonator and someone called Nigel Le Vaillant.

Maybe Zayn Malik who is half white. But are there any female Pakistani role models young girls can look up to?
Reply 2
I also really dislike the outrage at mixed marriages. We arrived in Britain a very long time ago. Aunties, Uncles, larkis and larkas, it’s natural that a few of us will marry white (or even black) people.
Original post by Anonymous
But are there any female Pakistani role models young girls can look up to?

Baroness Warsi?
My best friend is a British Pakistani and in my experience she is the nicest person I've met. I know you feel as though it's as though no one likes you, but you have to understand that under such a xenophobic society there's going to be haters. I appreciate the religion and ethics in your religion and I just want to let you know that no you're not hated. In fact, there's more people out there who like you
Secondly there are so many successful Pakistanis and they don't necessarily have to be celebrities. Remember that. Also those negative stories you see are the press's way of twisting reality and turning it into juicy gossip. Don't be put off and feel negative about it. They fail to mention the better things
Also I understand, as an Asian, that it can be hard to stick by traditions and morals and be a 'sweet' girl. I know it's hard and the only advice I can offer is to stand up for yourself but I also understand this is very difficult in a family with customs
I just want you to know that you're not thought any less of or hated just because you're Pakistani. Some people just fail to appreciate how diverse the world is and it's their problem, not yours
All my relatives are married to their cousins.

WTH?:shock:
I know so many cool pakistani people, and I am friends with many.

I reckon you are just hanging with the wrong people.
I myself am not pakistani (im an indian muslim) but have worked with a lot of pakistani girls (and am from luton so theres tonnes of asians) and I agree to an extent. Pakistani men do treat their women like **** tbh and it kinda gives muslims in general a bad name (in asia its a problem in general but pakistanis are kinda the ones Ive seen most). same time, a lot of pakistani girls I know kinda are the ones who get into a lot of trouble as well (namely a lot of pakistani women I have encountered are on antidepressants and antipsychotics) which again, I blame the pakistani men for (i work in health/social care so I do encounter a lot of people).

imho, try marrying a nice bloke asap and do your own thing. a lot of girls from communities with arranged marriages always think that if their parent say get married to x, get married to x (likewise for guys) . truth is the qur'an has a lot of surahs which specify both parties need to consent (ie bride and groom) and you shouldnt force people to do something they dont want to. same story with the bhagavad gita (hindu holy text - sorry for spelling errors), bible, torah, and guru granth sahib (sikh text - again, sorry for spelling)
Reply 8
Apart from the boxer Amir Khan and he really doesn’t have universal appeal we have none. I’m not talking about ‘successful people’ here, I mean genuinely famous ones. On the Wikipedia page for ‘List of British Pakistanis’ our famous ones include a fictional television character, a Michael Jackson impersonator and someone called Nigel Le Vaillant.

Maybe Zayn Malik who is half white. But are there any female Pakistani role models young girls can look up to?

I swear Malala Yousafzai is one big one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, wishing it away won't change anything. You may as well learn to live with it.
On the Wikipedia page for ‘List of British Pakistanis’ our famous ones include a fictional television character, and a Michael Jackson impersonator

:rofl: I know I really shouldn't laugh coz you probably feel strongly about this,...but this statement right here is the most hilarious representation of your frustration
Original post by Sabertooth
Baroness Warsi?

This is what I mean

Original post by Chez231
I swear Malala Yousafzai is one big one

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's not British Pakistani born and bred

Original post by HaramiSalami
Marry a kuff, get some gora in the family line.

If only I was allowed to

I myself am not pakistani (im an indian muslim) but have worked with a lot of pakistani girls (and am from luton so theres tonnes of asians) and I agree to an extent. Pakistani men do treat their women like **** tbh and it kinda gives muslims in general a bad name (in asia its a problem in general but pakistanis are kinda the ones Ive seen most). same time, a lot of pakistani girls I know kinda are the ones who get into a lot of trouble as well (namely a lot of pakistani women I have encountered are on antidepressants and antipsychotics) which again, I blame the pakistani men for (i work in health/social care so I do encounter a lot of people).

imho, try marrying a nice bloke asap and do your own thing. a lot of girls from communities with arranged marriages always think that if their parent say get married to x, get married to x (likewise for guys) . truth is the qur'an has a lot of surahs which specify both parties need to consent (ie bride and groom) and you shouldnt force people to do something they dont want to. same story with the bhagavad gita (hindu holy text - sorry for spelling errors), bible, torah, and guru granth sahib (sikh text - again, sorry for spelling)

Thanks.

I will stand up for myself but it's tough.

My best friend is a British Pakistani and in my experience she is the nicest person I've met. I know you feel as though it's as though no one likes you, but you have to understand that under such a xenophobic society there's going to be haters. I appreciate the religion and ethics in your religion and I just want to let you know that no you're not hated. In fact, there's more people out there who like you
Secondly there are so many successful Pakistanis and they don't necessarily have to be celebrities. Remember that. Also those negative stories you see are the press's way of twisting reality and turning it into juicy gossip. Don't be put off and feel negative about it. They fail to mention the better things
Also I understand, as an Asian, that it can be hard to stick by traditions and morals and be a 'sweet' girl. I know it's hard and the only advice I can offer is to stand up for yourself but I also understand this is very difficult in a family with customs
I just want you to know that you're not thought any less of or hated just because you're Pakistani. Some people just fail to appreciate how diverse the world is and it's their problem, not yours

Hate is a strong word. We're just uncool people. there's nothing we're famous for apart from the negative stuff I mentioned in OP.

We're known to be repressed and oppressed and guess what its not just a stereotype. I'm one example and I know many others,
Reply 12
I know loads of muslims. Arabs, Indian, African etc. But they all hate muslims from Pakistan as they give muslims a bad name.
Well, i couldn't agree more. What do we pakistani women do exactly? Nothing.
Live with our parents till we're married off, have kids, cook, clean, grow old and die.

If only I was allowed to

Don't get me wrong, I think you should be proud of yourself, but you can't live your parents live.
Original post by samina_ay
Well, i couldn't agree more. What do we pakistani women do exactly? Nothing.
Live with our parents till we're married off, have kids, cook, clean, grow old and die.

She gets it !
Original post by sdotd
I know loads of muslims. Arabs, Indian, African etc. But they all hate muslims from Pakistan as they give muslims a bad name.

Hmm I don't think Arabs/Afrcans are any better with their 16 wives.
Original post by HaramiSalami
Don't get me wrong, I think you should be proud of yourself, but you can't live your parents live.

Well I'll just feel guilty for letting them down.

Are you a Haraami? :tongue:
I don't know how old you are, but my advice if you're still in school or college would be to work hard and get into university. Once you have the independence of living away from home and the promise of a good job, you can be whoever you want. And I'm not just saying this as an ideal, my best friend in secondary school was a Pakistani girl from a strict Muslim family, and I've had the pleasure of watching her become her own person at uni and distance herself from the control of her family. She can still show her family the side she wants them to see despite being a fantastically different person in reality. And there's no chance of her family being able to force her to marry a cousin :P

Also, with regard to suspicion, it's culture and not just race which triggers these emotions. If you don't dress like a conservative Muslim, you're much less likely to be associated with them by others. From the way my friend dresses and talks, nobody's first thought would be that she's a Muslim (she does identify as one, but only nominally).
(edited 7 years ago)
Brit Pakistani have to be one of the Uncoolest people to be in the UK today. No one likes us. Nothing cool about us. Sexist controlling men(from my own experience) Nothing positive about us in the media. No famous female British Pakistani role models-no famous pak Brit females full stop. So many negative news stories e.g, grooming, gangs etc

We're crap at sports apart from cricket. Our food is good but it will always be called "Indian food".

All my relatives are married to their cousins. Therefore family want me to marry my cousin from a village in pak FML. Brb living under parent rules when young. Brb living under husbands and in laws rules when married off. Brb no freedom. Brb no self expression allowed esp if you're female. Brb compulsory to cook and clean for a girl.

On top of that coming from a Muslim background people are suspicious of us.

Gosh that all sounds a bit grim. the biggest part for me would be how my own culture/ community/ family controls and impedes the life I want to lead.

Study well, get a good job then gain some financial independence. You may then need to make the decision whether you are willing to break from your fmaily if they dont wnat to let you live the life you want. I'd hate what you describe and would plan to escape it. Study hard and plan carefully. There must be enough others who have escaped the doom you describe or in fact met partners who they like and arent as restrictive?

Latest

Trending

Trending