The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
Well it's not like I have no work to do. But I reckon I can get on average 50 pokestops a day at work done and the GPS glitch will make me move 1-1.5km

And well by the time you hit multiple 100k per level, the time it takes to get 60+ evolutions plus the actual evoltions will not even be a single level. Like from 25 to 26 will be 190k exp.

I only have 5km eggs atm and I have never gotten anything good from them, so I think I will see how many coins I have after I used my last free egg and what level I am on.

That's pretty sweet. I'd def use some lures at work if I could :colondollar:

Yea I'm closing in on level 23 at the moment. Just surprised how long it's taking me to get those 65 evolutions. It's been about 8 days and I'm still only on around 30-35 :s-smilie:
Why is it all the squirtles I seem to find have REALLY crap IVs?...

Also, need to ask guys but do most of the Pokemon you guys get from eggs have decent-good IVs? Seems to be the case for me. =l

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
Why is it all the squirtles I seem to find have REALLY crap IVs?...

Also, need to ask guys but do most of the Pokemon you guys get from eggs have decent-good IVs? Seems to be the case for me. =l

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to say my higher IV pokemon have been from eggs but I haven't been watching it closely tbh. Only checked IVs for a few pokemon really since not in a position to evolve many strong pokemon.

Having thought about it.. I really want a high CP/IV Electabuzz (or Jolteon) which has Thunder Shock/Thunder as the moveset. Both are similar stats but I'd have to find a high IV eevee, evolve it and then take the risk with the movesets whereas I'd know upfront with an Electabuzz.

I see so many Lapras/Vaporeon/Gyarados/Slowbrow and a strong thunder type would make gym battles so much easier!
Original post by Zerforax

- Jogger
- Collector
- Breeder
- Backpacker

Level 22
Jogger - 87.6
Collector - 1,068
Breeder - 40 (mainly pidgeys and weedles :mad: )
Backpacker - 1,028

And someone asked about goals - valor (they're red right) have taken my local gym up to level 7. My short term goal is to kick em out :ninjagirl: Medium term - keep eking up coins to get a bigger bag and then figure out what else (either lucky eggs or lures or incubators)
Long term - creep up to level 30 or so. I'll probably end up playing more when the weather turns as I'll be walking/bus-ing to work instead of cycling so I'll be able to play on the move (and the bus route passes more pokestops)

Oh and I've got a Weepinbell at 843cp that I'd love to evolve up (but currently have 4/100 bellsprout canies so that might be a very long term goal :rofl: )
Guys, at what point do you start finding high CP Pokemon?

Highest wild CP Pokemon I've found are 2 just SLIGHTLY above 1,000CP Golbats (Around 1,062) and after that, highest pokemon is a 628CP Eevee...

So, yeah. Is rare for me to find anything with a CP above level 500...
And given I'm nearly level 22, I need better pokemon... most of my pokemon which are above 1,000 are pokemon you can evolve into 1,000+CP pokemon (Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Pidgeot etc...)

Also, am kicking myself today... found a wild Slowbro today (CP was only 111 but still) and it ran away after 1 great ball... =(
Should have used a Razberry an an ultra... but normally save my ultra balls for things like Squirtles. Which seem relatively common(ish) in my area...

Highest wild CP Pokemon I've found are 2 just SLIGHTLY above 1,000CP Golbats (Around 1,062) and after that, highest pokemon is a 628CP Eevee...

And given I'm nearly level 22, I need better pokemon... most of my pokemon which are above 1,000 are pokemon you can evolve into 1,000+CP pokemon (Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Pidgeot etc...)

Also, am kicking myself today... found a wild Slowbro today (CP was only 111 but still) and it ran away after 1 great ball... =(
Should have used a Razberry an an ultra... but normally save my ultra balls for things like Squirtles. Which seem relatively common(ish) in my area...

I've had exactly the same issue. The one except was I found a CP 1400 Lapras in the wild. After that, I've hatched a CP 1280 Magmar and a CP 1700 Lapras (which I've powered to just under CP 2000.

Otherwise a few evolutions have been a decent amount. Have 12 pokemon over CP 1000 but half of them a bit useless.

I started finding higher CP at level 20 so maybe there's another trigger at lv 25?
I've had exactly the same issue. The one except was I found a CP 1400 Lapras in the wild. After that, I've hatched a CP 1280 Magmar and a CP 1700 Lapras (which I've powered to just under CP 2000.

Otherwise a few evolutions have been a decent amount. Have 12 pokemon over CP 1000 but half of them a bit useless.

I started finding higher CP at level 20 so maybe there's another trigger at lv 25?

I have 11, but 5 of them are Hynos and all of them are useless.

I do have a 95% IV Magikarp that I am able to evolve during my next cycle (I have the candies now, just waiting for 4 eggs to hatch during that) so hopefully I can get that one to close to 2000 with power ups (well hoping its movesets will be good).
I forgot this game existed. :indiff:

You seem unlucky. I just caught a 602 Slowpoke with a normal ball on 2nd attempt.

Then again a 10 CP Caterpie ran away after the first ball...

I get a ton of 400-600 CP Pokemons (around 600 usually Drowzee a lot and Slowpokes to a less extent) but they are never that amazing in terms of IVs.

I'm similar. Of my top bunch only one the seaking was caught with that CP (and has proved useless for fighting gyms - my 800-900 weepinbell and parasect are both more use)
image.png

Hanging around in areas with higher level players (so busy spots with lures on pokestops) is supposed to be the quickest way to find more high CP pokemon .... But seeing and catching are very different
Original post by inhuman
I have 11, but 5 of them are Hynos and all of them are useless.

I do have a 95% IV Magikarp that I am able to evolve during my next cycle (I have the candies now, just waiting for 4 eggs to hatch during that) so hopefully I can get that one to close to 2000 with power ups (well hoping its movesets will be good).

Having one or two Hypnos isn't terrible but yea it does feel like you need one high CP pokemon. Presume you haven't used any stardust yet though? I added like 300 CP by using stardust which makes a big difference.

A 2k Gyarados would be pretty impressive..

I've got a 15/15/14 Magikarp which I could power into a 1750 Gyarados but only at 200 candies :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not really sure what the issue is here tbh, of course you're not going to catch any Pokemon 1000+ if they're not the evolved forms/don't evolve. I currently have 49 Pokemon over 1000 CP and I only caught around 7 of them at that CP. Those Pokemon are Magmar, Electabuzz, Tangela, Scyther, Lapras, Snorlax and Lickitung. None of these Pokemon can evolve and that's why they're such a high CP. If you catch a 1000+ Pidgey then you Pidgeot is going to be 3000 CP or some ****, not really sure what you guys are expecting tbh.

Also, what counts as a "high" CP is determined by the Pokemon you catch. For example, I can now catch Pidgeys at around 450 CP, which is very high, but a 1000 CP Dragonite is a terrible Dragonite and won't really be much use. As you level up, you'll run into higher CP Pokemon but if all you ran into were Pidgeys before, you're still only going to find Pidgeys, they'll just be a higher CP.
Original post by tomtjl
I'm not really sure what the issue is here tbh, of course you're not going to catch any Pokemon 1000+ if they're not the evolved forms/don't evolve. I currently have 49 Pokemon over 1000 CP and I only caught around 7 of them at that CP. Those Pokemon are Magmar, Electabuzz, Tangela, Scyther, Lapras, Snorlax and Lickitung. None of these Pokemon can evolve and that's why they're such a high CP. If you catch a 1000+ Pidgey then you Pidgeot is going to be 3000 CP or some ****, not really sure what you guys are expecting tbh.

Also, what counts as a "high" CP is determined by the Pokemon you catch. For example, I can now catch Pidgeys at around 450 CP, which is very high, but a 1000 CP Dragonite is a terrible Dragonite and won't really be much use. As you level up, you'll run into higher CP Pokemon but if all you ran into were Pidgeys before, you're still only going to find Pidgeys, they'll just be a higher CP.

I just want more pokemon which have the ability to become CP 1500-2000 (since I'm level 22) whether by evolution or stardust.
Having one or two Hypnos isn't terrible but yea it does feel like you need one high CP pokemon. Presume you haven't used any stardust yet though? I added like 300 CP by using stardust which makes a big difference.

A 2k Gyarados would be pretty impressive..

I've got a 15/15/14 Magikarp which I could power into a 1750 Gyarados but only at 200 candies :frown:

Well the IV calc estimates if I max it, to get to 1954. But I heard it depends a bit on the evolution?

And wow, I have almost 800 candies! The Magikarp's just love our main station that I frequent oftenly.

And yes I sometimes used stardust to power up just to get a more accurate IV calculation but other than that I have saved them. Am on ca. 150k atm.
Original post by tomtjl

Quite right, but not really what we were complaining about I think.

I was more thinking along the lines of "get a great IV Pokemon that is worth spending stardust and candies on". I have a 1400 odd Joleteon but its IVs are mediocre so no point wasting stardust on it.
Original post by inhuman
Quite right, but not really what we were complaining about I think.

I was more thinking along the lines of "get a great IV Pokemon that is worth spending stardust and candies on". I have a 1400 odd Joleteon but its IVs are mediocre so no point wasting stardust on it.

My first tip would be to not spend any amount of time, candy or stardust on a Jolteon. They (along with all electric Pokemon in this game) are damn useless. Even the good ones are terrible, just because of how the game has been set up.

I do understand your frustration though, catching Pokemon with good IVs can be a giant pain in the arse. When I was evolving my Charmanders and Squirtles I tried waiting for one with good IVs but I didn't find one over 60% :/.

I just want more pokemon which have the ability to become CP 1500-2000 (since I'm level 22) whether by evolution or stardust.

You live in London, where there are tonnes of nests. Go visit a Growlithe nest, catch a 750 Growlithe and enough to get 50 candy and you'll have a 1700 Arcanine. It'll probably take you 2-3 hours to do. Or go to any of the nests for the starter Pokemon, it will take a little longer (usually ~6 hours) but you can easily get a 1500+ Pokemon there. Or a Machop nest, you'll get an easy Machamp of 1700 or so. Or Poliwag, Exeggcute, Magikarp etc. Walking along the Thames for a couple of hours will net you a few Dratini and about a million Magikarp (well, maybe not a million ;D).
Original post by tomtjl
My first tip would be to not spend any amount of time, candy or stardust on a Jolteon. They (along with all electric Pokemon in this game) are damn useless. Even the good ones are terrible, just because of how the game has been set up.

I do understand your frustration though, catching Pokemon with good IVs can be a giant pain in the arse. When I was evolving my Charmanders and Squirtles I tried waiting for one with good IVs but I didn't find one over 60% :/.

You live in London, where there are tonnes of nests. Go visit a Growlithe nest, catch a 750 Growlithe and enough to get 50 candy and you'll have a 1700 Arcanine. It'll probably take you 2-3 hours to do. Or go to any of the nests for the starter Pokemon, it will take a little longer (usually ~6 hours) but you can easily get a 1500+ Pokemon there. Or a Machop nest, you'll get an easy Machamp of 1700 or so. Or Poliwag, Exeggcute, Magikarp etc. Walking along the Thames for a couple of hours will net you a few Dratini and about a million Magikarp (well, maybe not a million ;D).

Hah, I must have been tired. I have a Vaporeon.

I want to evolve an Eevee into a Jolteon in my next evolution cycle.

And yes, I have 150 Poliwag candies, but not a single one I caught had even near decent IVs...
Original post by inhuman
Well the IV calc estimates if I max it, to get to 1954. But I heard it depends a bit on the evolution?

And wow, I have almost 800 candies! The Magikarp's just love our main station that I frequent oftenly.

And yes I sometimes used stardust to power up just to get a more accurate IV calculation but other than that I have saved them. Am on ca. 150k atm.

Which IV calculator do you use? The pokeassistant one is more accurate now since you can use the appraise function to get more information (which stat(s) is the best).

Lucky sod..

Original post by tomtjl

Surely an Electabuzz/Jolteon with Thunder/Thunder shock would be worth having as an attacker for gyms? The STAB and weaknesses bonus should give them enough boost? Maybe it's just the gyms near me which are full of water types. Def could do with a Zapdos! :colondollar:

Haha even if I live in London, I don't have the time to disappear for 3-6 hours.

I'm not too far from the Thames so maybe I could manage the Dratinis.. a Machamp would be awesome to take down all these damn Snorlax..
Which IV calculator do you use? The pokeassistant one is more accurate now since you can use the appraise function to get more information (which stat(s) is the best).

Lucky sod..

Surely an Electabuzz/Jolteon with Thunder/Thunder shock would be worth having as an attacker for gyms? The STAB and weaknesses bonus should give them enough boost? Maybe it's just the gyms near me which are full of water types. Def could do with a Zapdos! :colondollar:

Haha even if I live in London, I don't have the time to disappear for 3-6 hours.

I'm not too far from the Thames so maybe I could manage the Dratinis.. a Machamp would be awesome to take down all these damn Snorlax..

I find my Lapras is pretty good at taking down similar level Snorlax. So long as I dodge that bloody hyper beam though... :angry:
Although, I HATE Snorlax with an Earthquake move though, bloody impossible to dodge...

Wouldn't mind seeing a few special abilities brought back into the game, i.e. how Ghost pokemon are immune to normal and fighting type attacks.
Flying are immune to Earth based attacks i.e. Earthquake

etc...
(edited 7 years ago)
Will say though anyone living near Richmond or Richmond Park in general, when I was there last, all I found were Poliwags and Eevees so, if anyone lives near there, go nuts. =D

Quick Reply

Latest