The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi

I have posted here before and apologise if I'm bothering you. However, I have found this thread of great use so thank you for your responses.

I am hoping to apply for physical natural sciences. If raw marks were included in teachers' references for physics and chemistry with my further maths/ maths UMS available, how significantly would the marks be considered if they were higher? Would they be treated similarly to the UMS or would they basically not be used at all?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Wrong Colmans :smile: (and I can't tag him from the app...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops! Thanks.
Amended.
Are you allowed to commute from a commutable distance or do you have to live in uni?

Thank you 😊

And do GCSEs have a role in medical applications since I got 1a^, 6a* and 4a, but it was the second best in our school?
(edited 7 years ago)
I got 4As and 6Bs at GCSE. It was a big underperfomance but will the actual GCSEs stop me from getting into Cambridge or is a matter of they merely don't suggest I have the mental capacity or will do as well at A-level as I want to go to Cambridge? Will the grades themselves stop me or would you just typically look at someone with them and not have much hope?

I'm going to a much better school for year 12, I had pretty bad tinnitus when did the exams and some bits are pieces are being remarked.
Original post by drapplepilot
Are you allowed to commute from a commutable distance or do you have to live in uni?

Thank you 😊

It's a fundamental condition for full time students to live in Cambridge to study at Cambridge.

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/new-students/manage-your-student-information/graduate-students/terms-study

And this.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges/what-is-a-college
"all single undergraduates are expected to live in College-owned accommodation in Cambridge where possible."
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I have recently completed year 12 and studied Mathematics (Full A Level), Geography, Physics and Computing. I achieved A*AAA respectively (All official exams). I will be completing the Further Mathematics A Level in year 13.

I am interested in applying for the Computer Science with Mathematics course. If I was to drop Computing and cash in the AS Level, would I be put at a disadvantage in my application? I am seeing a large cross over between the content taught in the A Level and taught in the degree (with many universities). Additionally it is stated that computing is not a necessity as the course assumes no prior knowledge. I was unsure how it would be portrayed if I took it for AS Level and dropped it. I feel my time may be better spent studying geography and developing written skills (which I was previously considering dropping). I would appreciate any advice.

If I was to drop computing, how would I portray my enthusiasm for it through my personal statement, if I was to talk about how much I enjoy it, would it seem overstated?

Many Thanks
Ravi
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
It's a fundamental condition for full time students to live in Cambridge to study at Cambridge.

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/new-students/manage-your-student-information/graduate-students/terms-study

And this.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges/what-is-a-college
"all single undergraduates are expected to live in College-owned accommodation in Cambridge where possible."

Thank you, this cleared eveything up 😊
Original post by BJA98
Hi,

I just finished my A-levels and got A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry respectively. I had to resit several AS modules along with A2 to bump up my grades. Is this acceptable when applying to Cambridge for economics?
Secondly, my UMS in relevant subjects (Maths and Eco) for A2 were Core3 - 93 Core4 - 99 M1- 92 Econ3 - 90 Econ4 90.My GCSEs aren't that good at 1A* 4As 4Bs and 1C. Will I even be considered at initial assessment and how likely am I to get an offer?
(I understand other factors such as personal statement and interview performance matter but assuming they are fine).

Thanks for your help

Hello and thanks for your question. Resits are acceptable but we are aware of how many you have done and lots can be a bit concerning as there is no opportunity to resit in Cambridge. Your GCSEs are low for Economics but you have clearly improved as you have gone on. On paper you are not going to be the strongest candidates for this very competitive subject but that doesn't mean an offer is impossible.
Surely it's simply caused by an innocent typo, not presence of any mysogyny at Cambridge.......

Sorry, couldn't help.......:tongue:

Darn typos! :smile:
Original post by studyblr_mr
1. I was hoping you would be able to answer my questions regarding modern languages. I have seen that on several discussion threads people who have went to Cambridge felt intimidated because the majority of undergraduates can already speak the language to an almost fluency level. This may be because they have a holiday home in the country which they spend their school breaks in or they have a parent who speaks the language. This would deter me from applying as I have not had those opportunities and therefore would feel inadequate if the majority were of a much higher standard. I am at A-Level standard and am by no means fluent.

2. Also, the course I would be applying for is joint German and History. I was wondering would Cambridge make an offer requiring me to get an A* in either German or History or could the A* be in any of my subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello and thanks for your questions. There are certainly some students from those backgrounds doing languages in Cambridge but the majority are in similar situation to you. They have studied one or two languages at A Level and no more. They have good language skills but are not yet fluent, that's what the course is for! There is a lot of hearsay and misinformation on forums (one of the reasons I started posting here three years ago) and it's best not to read too much into it.

Regarding the joint honours tripos, it's not clear yet what colleges are going to do. it's up to them whether they tag the A* to a subject or not. I would think a number of colleges will ask for an A* in either History or the language.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Darn typos! :smile:

:biggrin:

Secretly looking forward to what explanation you'll give @physicsmaths on his finding.
I'm tossing between either what a psychologist calls 'subconscious,' what a philosopher calls 'truth' or what a scientist calls 'fact.'

:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
:biggrin:

Secretly looking forward to what explanation you'll give @physicsmaths on his finding.
I'm tossing between either what a psychologist calls 'subconscious,' what a philosopher calls 'truth' or what a scientist calls 'fact.'

:tongue:

It was a secret dig.
Me you and CAT know the truth.
I respect the CAT's admission of a typo but sometimes the true feelings come out through actions of our conscience not matching up to our body.
So basically.
Cambridge wins agen. QED.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Hey Christ Admissions,

I'm going into year 12 this year and have gotten my results last week for my GCSEs.
I received 1A* 6As 1B and a C. Of course I was devastated seeing these results as I got 7A*s 2Bs for my recent mocks.
After a remark hopefully I get 5/6A*s 2/3As 1/2Bs.
I go to a school where 48% (I believe it's lower this year) students get 5 or more A* - C grades so it's not exactly the best school (perhaps the worst in the area/borough) and so I have gotten the 3rd best results I think in my year or the second? If my remarks come out successful I will be one of the first best results in my year.
I also live in a bad area!
When my teachers in my new sixth form write me a reference would it be possible to write I got the top results in my GCSEs for my year if my sixth form teacher allows that?

I am also going to the doctors for personal issues that would be considered as extenuating circumstances but I feel like since I completed my GCSEs it's not going to count. Shall I email my exams officer to see if they'd still accept it as an EC?

I really wanted to apply for medicine or maths and especially after I got my mock grades I had very high hopes! I was wondering if my AS exams went super well and had high UMS and my personal statement was very good would I still have a chance with Cambridge? I really want to study maths at Cambridge as it has the best course in the country and probably the world!
For medicine however, I wouldn't mind applying at Oxford or Cambridge but my GCSEs aren't ideal!
I will be doing voluntary work at a hospital for a year and along the way I will be having a work experience with a paediatrician and another surgeon. I will also be having a work experience in a Vet and will be doing a few more things as the year progresses.
Provided the UKCAT and/or BMAT goes super well and my PS and AS grades are also top notch, would it be worth applying for medicine at Oxbridge even if my GCSEs aren't the best?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello and thank you for your questions. I think you need to think carefully about what subject you want to do, medicine or maths. You still have time so its not urgent but its essential to do further maths if you want to do Maths but it's not necessary to do maths if you want to do medicine, so you need to think about your A level choices.

Your teachers can mention that you had the best GCSEs in your school (providing its true of course!) and we will certainly bear that in mind. You can get the school to fill in an extenuating circumstances form to cover your GCSEs when you apply which will allow us to contextualise your results further.
Hi
I have just completed my GCSE's and got 9A*'s and 3A's and am thinking of doing 3 a Ievels (maths, geography and economics). I am also planning on doing the EPQ. If I achieve good grades in these subjects would I be at a disadvantage for only taking three a levels instead of four?
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks so much for the link. Is that the only resource they have in terms of statistics?
Original post by jelibean
Hi,
I am applying this October for Computer Science for entry in 2017, but will be 17 when I start and only turn 18 in June (so end of first year).
I was wondering if that would put me at any disadvantage socially, but more importantly if I might get rejected because of my age (on my college website it says that they would "prefer underage students to defer":wink:. I am really disliking the idea of a gap year and would like to go to university straight after I finish school...

Also, how does the question in the SAQ about gap years affect the admissions decision? If I reply "no" to the gap year, might I have had a chance of acceptance for 2018 but then been rejected because I am not taking the year off?

Thank you in advance,
Emily

Hello Emily. The only disadvantage socially is that you won't be able to drink alcohol in the college bar (or anywhere else) until you are 18. One or two colleges are very reluctant to take under 18s (I don't know which one you are looking at) but the majority are quite flexible if the student is ready.

I think that the question about gap years is being removed from the SAQ this year.
Original post by Cherub012
Quite worrying but I guess expected for medicine. Would it severely affect the chances of an interview?

Thank you. :smile:

It's impossible to say for certain without seeing the whole of the application. If it's the only weaker point in the paper application, however, then you are not going be deselected solely for that.
Original post by Arya150
Thanks so much for the link. Is that the only resource they have in terms of statistics?

There might be some other breakdowns as pdfs and things but I wouldn't know where they are - it covers pretty much everything anyway
Hi, I was wondering what you are the most important things that you are looking for in a philosophy applicant?
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thank you for your questions. I think you need to think carefully about what subject you want to do, medicine or maths. You still have time so its not urgent but its essential to do further maths if you want to do Maths but it's not necessary to do maths if you want to do medicine, so you need to think about your A level choices.

Your teachers can mention that you had the best GCSEs in your school (providing its true of course!) and we will certainly bear that in mind. You can get the school to fill in an extenuating circumstances form to cover your GCSEs when you apply which will allow us to contextualise your results further.

I'm leaning towards maths more and so I'm taking maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics (however I'm likely to drop one because I don't think there's any point in doing 5 A Levels).
They're my favourite subjects and so luckily with these subjects I'd be able to apply for medicine or maths :smile:

Oh ok! That's good because I thought I wouldn't be able to get extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs because I believed it was too late.

So based on the circumstances I'm in do you think it would be worth an application for maths if I do amazingly well for my AS and have a very good PS? I would ask about medicine but I don't think I'd have a chance as it is very competitive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile