The Student Room Group

Is sixth form as bad as they say? Are Alevels truly awful?

Hi
Just what the title says really being reading some real horror stories and freaked myself out.
I'm taking
History
English Lit
R.S

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends what subjects your doing I've carried on business, economics and law into year 13 and i found AS to be pretty brutal, but as long as you put the effort in you can't really i wrong, i came out with AAB respectively and got A*A*AAAAABBB at GCSE.
Reply 2
No lol I enjoyed sixth form way more than secondary school
Although I didn't take those subjects at a level
The workload was easily manageable after I dropped economics
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by yoda123
No lol I enjoyed sixth form way more than secondary school
Although I didn't take those subjects at a level

well i am taking Math and Physics A level in one year do u think ill have fun XD
It's just very stressful, as long as you work hard it can be a great experience :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by za3
well i am taking Math and Physics A level in one year do u think ill have fun XD

I took maths, it was fine, use Jack Brown on youtube, mrbartonmaths, ExamSolutions and do all the past papers.
My maths teacher was really chill, we could skip his lessons and he wouldn't mark us absent lol
Didn't do physics at A level, my friend did and he got a U
I really enjoyed chemistry and biology though
All depends on how hard you work and how much you enjoy the subjects you are studying. The golden combination is to be hard working and enjoying the subjects you are studying because it means you will enjoy the work so will actually do it and will be inclined to read around the subject. Doing this maximises your chance of getting the top grades. :smile:
Original post by ForeverFrench
Hi
Just what the title says really being reading some real horror stories and freaked myself out.
I'm taking
History
English Lit
R.S

You've chosen three essay-based subjects, so while the work itself may not be so difficult, the background stuff, completing essays for homework, etc, will tend to take a lot of your time. However as long as you keep on top of it you'll be fine.

Overall though, yours are much more relaxed compared to someone taking sciences or maths, where it is more knowledge-intensive.

My friend did the same subjects as you and he spent a lot of time messing about and he still got 3 B's, so it depends on what you want, really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
I'm taking
History
English Lit
R.S

Don't be scared :hugs: I loved A levels! I took History, English Lit and Philosophy at A level and Geography at AS. So, my options were similar. Yes, you have to work hard but it's much more enjoyable than at GCSE. You aren't spoon fed so much and there is a chance to think and work independently. You will have fun, trust me :smile:

By the way, why aren't you taking French? Your username implies that you love the subject, or you are French. Either way, would be a good A level to pick up!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by yoda123
I took maths, it was fine, use Jack Brown on youtube, mrbartonmaths, ExamSolutions and do all the past papers.
My maths teacher was really chill, we could skip his lessons and he wouldn't mark us absent lol
Didn't do physics at A level, my friend did and he got a U
I really enjoyed chemistry and biology though

Well we Just started Wish me good Luck and thank you for the reply :smile:
Lol people tend to exaggerate when it comes to A levels it's not that bad. Obviously it's harder than GCSE, work hard and you should be fine
I'm taking same subjects as you plus biology. I'm super excited but nervous at the same time due to the workload. Guess we will just have to wait and see but I think I'm going to enjoy it. The only problem is the revision which I'm not looking forward to :frown: and the fact we will have to revise tonnes more than an GCSE to be able to achieve the same grades
Original post by Platopus
Don't be scared :hugs: I loved A levels! I took History, English Lit and Philosophy at A level and Geography at AS. So, my options were similar. Yes, you have to work hard but it's much more enjoyable than at GCSE. You aren't spoon fed so much and there is a chance to think and work independently. You will have fun, trust me :smile:

By the way, why aren't you taking French? Your username implies that you love the subject, or you are French. Either way, would be a good A level to pick up!

I love french but there wasnt enough to take it at alevel as the teachers are part time. I'm at a boarding school small independent school
Hi
I'm taking
History
English Lit
R.S

May god help you (if you don't believe in god than may the odds be in your favour)
Yes, Yes they are.
Imo sixth form was bad, but A-levels were okay.
Reply 16
I found AS (especially A2) not to be as bad as GCSE
Did anyone do spanish a level? How did you find it? I'm going into sixth form next week.
Reply 18
Yes, A levels are require hard-work. There's no escaping it.

You'll think ah AS is just a breeze..

You'll be hit with a couple of U's and E's before you know it.
Original post by RooshV
Yes, A levels are require hard-work. There's no escaping it.

You'll think ah AS is just a breeze..

You'll be hit with a couple of U's and E's before you know it.

I'm not doing any As exams. There's a new system meaning I do all my exams in year13

Quick Reply

Latest