The Student Room Group

Did anyone else not find Sixth Form to be as hard a everyone said?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Spanish and I got a really high A* at GCSE with full marks in all units except my speaking, I find vocab really easy. I find grammar okay but the speaking I hate so much as I am so shy but right now I feel like I'm really hesitant speaking and obviously I've got a year of learning but do you feel like your speaking improved a lot in one year? Also is there a vocab list and if not what vocab do you learn
I found it fairly easy, certainly not as hard as I expected, especially when compared to what my Spanish friends are doing in their system (harder does not mean better). Did maths, further maths, physics, spanish and spanish literature AS and came out with A*A*AAa respectively.
Reply 22
A Levels aren't too hard. In fact I got a higher grade in History A level than I did in History GCSE
Original post by rolaah
Fair enough - as I said it varies from person to person. What did you take?

sorry didn't notice. I took chem, maths, psych and bio(AS)
Reply 24
I did all sciences and comp at AS then dropped physics at a C and I almost ****ing died sitting those A2 exams and all I got was Bs and Cs ok.

It was Hell on Earth. A levels gave me STDs. 0/10 would not recommend if you can get where you want to be with a BTEC or some other course go that way. **** A levels.

God I'm so happy they're over I could just about fly right now :lol: :cry:
Reply 25
Original post by rolaah
Everyone says A-Levels are waaaaaaaaaaaay harder and a massive step up, but I didn't find it to be that big a jump. I'm going into A2 now with 4 A's and I just want to let anyone who is in Y11 know that the jump isn't that bad - but I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences (I did Politics, History, German and Spanish)

I agree to a certain extent. Be prepared for a massive jump if you're doing STEM subjects though (e.g. maths, physics, bio etc.). Honestly, A-Level maths and physics are nothing like GCSE. Bio isn't as bad though.
Reply 26
Original post by sdotd
A Levels aren't too hard. In fact I got a higher grade in History A level than I did in History GCSE

That happens a lot, usually because people work much harder for A-Levels than they did for GCSEs :h:
Reply 27
Original post by Lucofthewoods
I'm doing Spanish and I got a really high A* at GCSE with full marks in all units except my speaking, I find vocab really easy. I find grammar okay but the speaking I hate so much as I am so shy but right now I feel like I'm really hesitant speaking and obviously I've got a year of learning but do you feel like your speaking improved a lot in one year? Also is there a vocab list and if not what vocab do you learn

Speaking improved by far the most - we did speaking every week with a native for 40 mins alone so you defo improve dramatically. It is a bit scary at first, but if you persist then it becomes easier than if you say nothing/you will do better. But obvs a high A* should give you confidence! Well done!
Reply 28
Original post by z33
I did all sciences and comp at AS then dropped physics at a C and I almost ****ing died sitting those A2 exams and all I got was Bs and Cs ok.

It was Hell on Earth. A levels gave me STDs. 0/10 would not recommend if you can get where you want to be with a BTEC or some other course go that way. **** A levels.

God I'm so happy they're over I could just about fly right now :lol: :cry:

It's bc you did hard subjects, well done tho: you survived :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by Heisenberg97
I found it fairly easy, certainly not as hard as I expected, especially when compared to what my Spanish friends are doing in their system (harder does not mean better). Did maths, further maths, physics, spanish and spanish literature AS and came out with A*A*AAa respectively.

Woah well done!
Reply 30
Original post by shuu00
It's bc you did hard subjects, well done tho: you survived :biggrin::biggrin:

Just about! Thanks though <3 :')
Reply 31
Original post by bubblegumcat
sorry didn't notice. I took chem, maths, psych and bio(AS)

Fair enough, those are the hardest subjects lol
Yeah I found it relatively easy not bad as people made it out to be even though I took 5 A levels
This is reassuring to read
I think if you know languages pretty well then AS is pretty easy. A2 is different though.
Original post by rolaah
Everyone says A-Levels are waaaaaaaaaaaay harder and a massive step up, but I didn't find it to be that big a jump. I'm going into A2 now with 4 A's and I just want to let anyone who is in Y11 know that the jump isn't that bad - but I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences (I did Politics, History, German and Spanish)

You're doing easy subjects!
Which a-levels of yours count towards next year?
Reply 37
Original post by Jamie Vardy
You're doing easy subjects!

Omfg in what world?! I bet you haven't done any of them. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about...
Reply 38
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
Which a-levels of yours count towards next year?

Politics, German and Spanish - so all my A2 choices (ftw!)
There is an increase in the sheer amount and complexity of content you need to understand, but apart from that I don't think its that bad. I put in pretty much the same amount of effort I did for GCSE and still got A's at AS, I haven't started year 13 yet so Idk how much of a step up that will be, but hopefully not too bad.

Quick Reply