The Student Room Group

When should you get your GCSEs remarked?

Hey there. I've been contemplating getting one of my English exams remarked since I'm 3 UMS points overall from an A*. However, i keep wondering if that's not close enough to the boundary for me to have a reasonable chance of the grade going up.

That's why I wanted to ask 'how many UMS points is the maximum distance you'd go for a remark'. To elaborate, is 5 UMS points away too big? What about 3? Does it depend on the subject? I know that the way remarks work have changed, making it harder in general for your grade to go up.

Or does it depend on how you felt the exam went? I know for sure that I thought I did better than I got on this exam I want to get remarked. Any thoughts? Would you get a remark if you were in my position?
I'm in exactly the same position as you!

I'm thinking of getting my 2nd Eng Lit paper remarked as I'm 3 raw marks away from A*. I felt the exam went really well and so I deserve higher. I might also get my first Eng Lang paper remarked (I'm like 9 raw marks away from A* but I think I could get it!).

I think 3 UMS is worth a remark, because, it's about 1-2 raw marks which is little and in such a subjective subject, go for it! Perhaps get a photocopy first and discuss with your school teachers (which is what I'm going to do)!.

5UMS is okay, its about 3-4 raw marks. The subject also matters, essay writing ones are worth remarks, as they are subjective!
Reply 2
Original post by sulaimanali

I'm thinking of getting my 2nd Eng Lit paper remarked as I'm 3 raw marks away from A*. I felt the exam went really well and so I deserve higher. I might also get my first Eng Lang paper remarked (I'm like 9 raw marks away from A* but I think I could get it!).

I think 3 UMS is worth a remark, because, it's about 1-2 raw marks which is little and in such a subjective subject, go for it! Perhaps get a photocopy first and discuss with your school teachers (which is what I'm going to do)!.

5UMS is okay, its about 3-4 raw marks. The subject also matters, essay writing ones are worth remarks, as they are subjective!

Wow, I can't believe you're in the same boat as me! I didn't actually realise you could get photocopies of your exam papers... Is that available for all exam boards?
Reply 3
Original post by potatoesftw
I didn't actually realise you could get photocopies of your exam papers... Is that available for all exam boards?

Only Edexcel for GCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
Only Edexcel for GCSE.

Oh okay, thanks for the information! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sulaimanali

New remarks disallow subjectivity to come into the equation unfortunately. If one examiner thinks the mark is 16 and the other 17, the mark will stay as before. It is only if the mark is in the next band ie. one examiner says 16 and the other 21, that a new mark will be put into place.
Reply 6
Hey there. I've been contemplating getting one of my English exams remarked since I'm 3 UMS points overall from an A*. However, i keep wondering if that's not close enough to the boundary for me to have a reasonable chance of the grade going up.

That's why I wanted to ask 'how many UMS points is the maximum distance you'd go for a remark'. To elaborate, is 5 UMS points away too big? What about 3? Does it depend on the subject? I know that the way remarks work have changed, making it harder in general for your grade to go up.

Or does it depend on how you felt the exam went? I know for sure that I thought I did better than I got on this exam I want to get remarked. Any thoughts? Would you get a remark if you were in my position?

Only remark if you genuinely think the marking is incorrect. Do not remark for the sake of it or if you are close as you are putting your current grade in jeopardy.
Damn...the new remarking facility is crap.

1. You should remark if you are sure the grade is wrong, if you have compared your answers to the official mark scheme and you know there must be an error in the marking or recording of results.

2. You can gamble with your money in the hope of an improvement if you can afford to lose it and if you are close to the next grade boundary. There is no hard and fast rule about what constitutes close to the next boundary means but unless condition 1. applies, the more you need the less likely you are to be successful. The perception seems to be that more objective subjects such as maths and sciences are less likely to change than more subjective essay subjects. I can't say I've found that to be true. Be aware that the majority of remark requests in all subjects are unsuccessful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
1. You should remark if you are sure the grade is wrong, if you have compared your answers to the official mark scheme and you know there must be an error in the marking or recording of results.

2. You can gamble with your money in the hope of an improvement if you can afford to lose it and if you are close to the next grade boundary. There is no hard and fast rule about what constitutes close to the next boundary means but unless condition 1. applies, the more you need the less likely you are to be successful. The perception seems to be that more objective subjects such as maths and sciences are less likely to change than more subjective essay subjects. I can't say I've found that to be true. Be aware that the majority of remark requests in all subjects are unsuccessful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! Although, I can't really check the mark scheme since it's the writing paper, and only have a vague recollection of what I wrote. And even if I could, it's subjective and some bias might come into play. I'm also aware that the new remarking rules mean that subjectivity no longer increases the chances of the mark going up.
I got a C in my History iGCSE edexcel and was 3 marks from a B ( i need a B for uni) i did 2 papers and apparently for 33 in each paper. Is it worth a remark ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by ad4m
Only remark if you genuinely think the marking is incorrect. Do not remark for the sake of it or if you are close as you are putting your current grade in jeopardy.

Putting my grade in jeopardy? I doubt that, even if I do get it remarked, that my grade would drop overall. For that to happen, I'd have to lose 18 UMS points which equates to 9 raw marks. Considering how lots of remarks don't change the grade or marks at all, I have my doubts.

Thanks for the advice though, I never thought of it that way.
Reply 12
Putting my grade in jeopardy? I doubt that, even if I do get it remarked, that my grade would drop overall. For that to happen, I'd have to lose 18 UMS points which equates to 9 raw marks. Considering how lots of remarks don't change the grade or marks at all, I have my doubts.

Thanks for the advice though, I never thought of it that way.

If peoples marks can go up 9 raw marks, they can just as easily go down 9 raw marks. Just don't pay for a remark hoping to go from an A to an A* if you thought that after the exam you got an A. If you came out of the exam thinking it went wonderfully and then get a C, that's a different story.
Reply 13
Original post by ad4m
If peoples marks can go up 9 raw marks, they can just as easily go down 9 raw marks. Just don't pay for a remark hoping to go from an A to an A* if you thought that after the exam you got an A. If you came out of the exam thinking it went wonderfully and then get a C, that's a different story.

That's true, but on a paper where I only got 24 raw marks in total, I'm still rather doubtful - especially when I'm so used to getting at least 28 marks. I understand your reasoning; I'll make sure to take it into consideration.
Reply 14
That's true, but on a paper where I only got 24 raw marks in total, I'm still rather doubtful - especially when I'm so used to getting at least 28 marks. I understand your reasoning; I'll make sure to take it into consideration.

If you're used to getting 28+ marks, and think that the exam went well enough for you to get 28+ marks, then get a remark. If you thought it didn't go as well as previous exams then don't.
Reply 15
Original post by ad4m
If you're used to getting 28+ marks, and think that the exam went well enough for you to get 28+ marks, then get a remark. If you thought it didn't go as well as previous exams then don't.

I like that simplistic way of explaining things. Thanks a bunch. :smile:
Reply 16
Let's get something clear. There is a difference between remarking for a few extra marks, and remarking because you genuinely are confused on why your results came back so low. Only remark an exam if you genuinely are confused with the marks you got... Remarking for the fun out if could end badly for you.
I'm remarking aqa GCSE biology. I'm 7 ums off A* and that's 4 marks in unit 3. I checked the official markscheme and WORST case scenario I'm getting 4 more marks. Can I also remark unit 1 to increase my chances or is it that one can only remark one unit. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Castro300
I'm remarking aqa GCSE biology. I'm 7 ums off A* and that's 4 marks in unit 3. I checked the official markscheme and WORST case scenario I'm getting 4 more marks. Can I also remark unit 1 to increase my chances or is it that one can only remark one unit. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a raffle where you can be sure to increase your chances of winning by buying more tickets. You can remark as many papers as you like but imagine if one goes up 7 ums and the other goes down one and your grade doesn't change. If you have already requested the first remark it is likely the result will be back in time for you to remark the other one if you need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Castro300

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please remember that it is not certain your marks will increase. It is a common fact that student overmark their own papers, especially sciences that rely on essential vocabulary.

It becomes very difficult for exam boards when marking. This is because when setting marks they scrutinise the D/C line papers and A/A* papers the most.

AQA is a business. They do not have to increase your mark if they don't want to.

They do not want to admit they're wrong. They might find an error in your script but not increase it by the amount you need for A*.

This happened to me to edexcel maths. They found an error worth 3 marks (the amount I needed for A*), but only gave me 2 of them.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest